Ever Ride A Snowmobile??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Intolerant

Intolerant

Careful brother, ole Fullclip will be in here throwing kitty litter at yah :laughing:

2. 63Bravo

63Bravo

His sled is a dump truck.
    LMAO

3. Intolerant

Intolerant

:holysheep: ohhhh mannnnn, i`m rollin on the floor right now.... :laughing::laughing::laughing:

This is funny as hell, JUST NOW, got a text from my buddy. He just got back from the PA grand canyon... his brand new turbo cat just mopped the canyon floor with every DOODOO he ran against.

63Bravo likes this.
  4. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Just having fun, full magazine!

Intolerant likes this.
  5. Intolerant

Intolerant

Fullclip is a great guy, he`ll just love this stuff ;)

6. jakedaawg

jakedaawg

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Are you in NW lower Mi? Same story here...this was the first good riding weekennd...

Radam3 and Intolerant like this.
  7. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Cat turbo sleds are stoopid fast.
    And always have been.

Radam3 and Intolerant like this.
  8. Intolerant

Intolerant

Last fall, when my buddy got his 2020turbo, i did the motor and tune for him. Got him up around 280hp. Nice easy trail-able power. Put the launch mode in it. Did reflash. Updated speedo. I call it the giggle switch. Yeahhhhh, its stupid fast no doubt...lol. Had to put chisels in the track, regular studs wernt cuttin it. She hooks nowwww baby....baaaaahahahahahaaaa!

Radam3, Need4Speed and 63Bravo like this.
  9. Glock Commander

Glock Commander

Yes! Great fun in my youth. Just a vacation thing and my children loved it. :fred:

Intolerant likes this.
  10. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

40+ years. First sled I rode was a 70 ski doo Nordic, when I was 14. Back in those days 50 miles was a lot of work, if they even made it that far without breaking down.

At one point I had 4 sleds, and my wallet was the only one when it came to paying for them. A weekend outing could easily cost 1000 with gas and food.

My favorite sled was a Polaris XCR 800, ported with HTG pipes. A couple seasons into it I tossed in an 1100 triple. So much throttle response it was a constant battle to hang on. Got into some bad gas one weekend, and burnt it down. Even running on 1 cylinder I could still outrun my buddy on his little 600.

Just traded off my last sled for something safer. A dirt bike.

might get into it again after I retire.

Intolerant and FullClip like this.
  11. sourdough44

sourdough44

Just back from 220 miles of riding in the U.P. of MI, conditions were great.

Attached Files:

12. 7th District

7th District

FCA6F7B7-698F-4621-9024-61F339573A45.jpeg

I didn’t grow up around sleds, but I always wanted one. I actually never rode one until I had my own. I can still remember the first ride on my ‘99 ZR600 EFI. I loved it, and wondered why I hadn’t gotten one sooner.

I already had a couple of liter sportbikes, but I found the sensation of speed on a sled is different. I’d liken it to speed over the water, in that at least to me 50 MPH over the water feels faster then the same speed over the road.

We had 4 sleds over a decade or so, all Arctic Cats. On a freshly groomed trail, my favorite was our ‘02 ZR800EFI. That thing could rail a smooth sweeper like it was on a rail. The downside, which I didn’t realize until I got my ‘05 TSE F7, was that it was heavy & wide.

We ended up giving up sleds over a couple of years. At the time (and even now) we didn’t have the freedom in our schedule to run up to the UP.

Locally it ended up becoming too hit & miss, and I don’t mean the weather. Just the trail conditions. On good weekends, there would be so much traffic, if you weren’t at least 30 minutes behind the groomer, the trails into town would be totally whooped out.

I really enjoyed sleds, and I’d like to have a couple when I retire. However if I’m going to get another toy, a side by side has moved up my list above sleds. :cool:

12ACEE7B-F73E-40C7-BB4F-0F284824693A.jpeg

1B319463-5D9B-4A63-AEC2-E5688452DC67.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Radam3, FullClip, sourdough44 and 2 others like this.
  13. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I rode a snowmobile once. On vacation in CO. The guide said he raced them and to just follow the trail and we couldn't get lost. He said he was going to have fun, don't worry if we lose sight of him.
    When he stopped 10 minutes later I was right beside him. He seemed shocked I could keep up. It was a minute or two before the next rider showed up.
    I've ridden a lot of four wheelers but those snow machines will flat fly! I loved it.

7th District likes this.
  14. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

Those 4 stroke sleds are pretty fricking crazy. The link below is not my 1100, but for the most part it was the same thing as what I had. Towards the end of the video he gets smoked by another sled. Apparently is was a turbo 4 stroke.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJG8P4iVeBs

Intolerant likes this.
  15. 63Bravo

63Bravo

B
    burp burp burp, cool them pistons!

Intolerant likes this.
  16. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

And yet another snow sled fatality here in Maine, 3rd this week. Too fast...
    https://www.wabi.tv/content/news/Of...ile-accident-at-Moosehead-Lake-568128661.html

MOOSEHEAD LAKE, Maine (WABI)- A Wiscasset man is dead after authorities say he crashed his snowmobile on Moosehead Lake.

Game Wardens say Gregory Lemar, 59, was riding his snowmobile when he hit a pressure ridge southeast of Hogback Island. Investigators say speed appears to be a factor.

Snowmobilers in the area tried to help Lemar after the crash, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

He was wearing a helmet.

Game wardens say the incident was the seventh deadly snowmobile crash this riding season in Maine.

Over the past decade, an average for six snowmobilers die each year in crashes.

Intolerant likes this.
  17. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Even the 600 cc sleds are crazy fast these days..
    I wonder if alcohol was involved, usually that is the case.
    Sigh.

Intolerant and FullClip like this.
  18. FullClip

Yup, mine is a low geared big sled with a 600CC. It tops out around 70MPH. Lot of sled have no problem doing well over 100MPH.
    It can be very hard to see ridges or dips in the snow under some conditions.

Intolerant likes this.
  19. 63Bravo

63Bravo

Yours has like 60 hp.
    The two stroke 600,s are 120+ hp!

Intolerant likes this.
  20. FullClip

Yup, 2 strokes give you more bang for the displacement, but 4 strokes are more fuel efficient and much quieter. Lot of progress has been made in 2-strokes, but for my type of riding, I like the little 4 stroke twin.

Intolerant likes this.