Ever Ride A Snowmobile??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FullClip, Feb 22, 2020.

1. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Way back in the day as a teenager in IL.

Motorcycles are better.

fatboy.jpg

2. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

I don’t like snow or cold weather. Sounds miserable.

porschedog likes this.

3. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

No, but they look like fun. I have ridden a jet ski.

Intolerant, FullClip and treg like this.
  4. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    I had a little one as a kid in the 70’s in PA. The folks moved us out west in 74, not much use for one in these parts. Now I have my quad.

FullClip likes this.
  5. porschedog

porschedog

My only sled experience was a ride on one as the ski patrol brought me down off the mountain in Vail with what turned out to be pretty bad knee injury Floridians have zero business attempting to ski ( mine was more of the crashing variety than the schussing along smoothly type) I am not a fan of weather that gets colder than it does in my freezer or sports that require massive frigidity.

FullClip likes this.
  6. peng

peng

Yes, many times to get to ice fishing spots in Canada.

Skidoos will actually ride on open water, check out Youtube. I was in Cadillac one year and they were going from one frozen lake to the other through a canal that was open.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    FullClip and orangejeep06 like this.
  7. Rotn1

Rotn1

Grew up in Montreal. Lots of folks had “Ski-Doo’s”.
    The area averaged about 148” of snow back then so finding places to ride was not a problem. At least once every year there would be a road closing / city closing blizzard and they would allow snowmobiles on main roads.

Alcohol, collisions with cars and trees, falls through ice took a very high toll every year either with death or paralysis.
    I can’t remember if there was an age limit at the time but it seemed that teenagers got smoked regular.
    Last time I was on a snowmobile was in 1996 near Whistler BC. A company outing. It was awesome.
    One of the guys wanted his picture taking making jumps. He damn near killed himself. Fool.
    If there was regular snow where I lived I would have a couple of these marvelous machines.

Intolerant, FullClip and treg like this.
  8. Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill

Only rode one once at a party when I was a teenager. My friend and I were roaring through the dark, snow-covered fields, when we saw a single strand fence wire about throat high. I got on the brakes, stopped in time, but the last few feet had to reach out and pull the wire over our heads as we slowly glided to a stop just past it.

Sometimes we experience God's mercy when we least expect it and don't deserve it. :cowboy:

Haven't snowmobiled since. Not out of fear, just no opportunities. Seems like a lot of fun. Don't go through the ice, FullClip!

9. The_Dan

The_Dan The underscore is silent

Texan who went to college in Wyoming here... always thought snomobiles were like golf cart level performance. Went “sledding” with buddies while at school and thought it was ironic the leisure machine was called an “Indy 500”... Casually listened to the instructions given then opened the throttle up and nearly wet my pants.

I was stunned at the performance and had a blast freezing for the next few hours. We went a few more times and it was the highlight of my couple years trapped in Laramie.

Rotn1 likes this.
  10. Dog Soldier

Dog Soldier NRA Benefactor

Here in Wyoming the "Sled" is the only winter transportation off road. You can cover 100 miles in 4 hours with the new improved machines.

11. glock_collector

glock_collector

We have gone at -20, the 2 strokes run crisp, and if ya dont ride like Mrs Daisy, you will be sweat soaked all night. As ditch bangers, we dont use the seat, standing up, your knees give ya a little more suspension and one heck of a whole body work out.

Intolerant, Dog Soldier and FullClip like this.
  12. flyover

flyover

No, I don't get a lot of snow in my AO. The most snow I have had this year measured around 8 inches and was gone in about 3 days. I have a Honda 4 wheeler that I can use instead.

Intolerant and FullClip like this.
  13. treg

treg

14. MAG40 Student

MAG40 Student Silver Member

Went snowmobiliing a few times years ago with friends. Slow and easy. Fun outings but never a passion.

I was in my late 20s when the brother of a friend who combined snowmobiling with alcohol, speed, and darkness, drove at full-speed into the blades of a trail groomer.

Ghastly.

orangejeep06, Intolerant and FullClip like this.
  15. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

I found out many years ago that I am not a sled guy. But put me on two wheels and I'm a GOD!

glock_collector likes this.
  16. Boundertom

Boundertom

I loved snowmobiling from around 1990 to 2007ish. I lived in central OH, so I had to drive 400+ miles to snowmobile. Northern Michigan, the UP, northern Wisconsin. I have a lot of great memories of those days. I was not a fast rider, more into touring and enjoying the scenery. But, I did a LOT of 200+ mile days. Mostly groomed trails and unplowed forest roads. A lot of that was riding by myself. I very quickly learned NOT to snowmobile on weekends. WAY too many idiots that seemed to think they were the only ones on the trail. We took a trip to Yellowstone in 2004. That was great fun, inside and outside the park. We did another family trip to the Black Hills, in our motorhome, towing the sleds in an enclosed trailer. I miss the snowmobiling experience a lot. After living in AZ for a few years, I don't think I could tolerate the cold any more. Might just have to try a rental sometime..........

17. Boundertom

Boundertom

orangejeep06 and Intolerant like this.
  18. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Woods path & ice fishing.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

19. Rotn1

Rotn1

Pete.......
    Again, I’m dated here, but the prescribed clothing was called (back in the day) “Ski-Doo suits and Ski-Doo Boots”.

One piece oversized snowmobile suit which provided tremendous warmth. Add to that a proper full helmet with face shield and full heated mitts and you could tear along in the open field at -20 all day and feel great.
    Clothing was very important.
    If you had a Ski-Doo you had a Ski-Doo suit, boots, Helmet and mitts.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

Many times, yes.