Ever notice - on Amazon - the multi-packs sometimes cost a lot more per unit?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Z71bill, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Z71bill

Z71bill

I see this all the time - same seller - same item - you just choose the pack size before you put it in your cart.

I was buying an extension nozzle for some of my gas cans -

Buy 1 -- it was $4.99 each

Buy 2 for $12.99

Buy 4 for 39.99

I needed 2 - so bought two single packs

Same thing with some medical supplies I have been looking at -

Buy 1 it is $8.99 - get a 4 pack for $59.99. If you wanted 4 - wouldn't you just order 4 singles and pay $36?

I was just about to order some Salonpas - sore back patches -

Buy one 60 count box for $9.55 -- $.16 each

get the 140 count box for 36.99 -- $.26 each

or get two 60 count boxes for $54.88 -- $.46 each

Are people so stupid they would order the larger pack size instead if just ordering multiple of the smaller pack - and pay 3x as much per unit?

Are they just hoping people are in a hurry and they figure a larger pack / multi-pack will be cheaper so they just order it?

Maybe I am just grumpy because I strained my back loading my sick golden into the back of the SUV. She is having issues again - not looking good. She was scheduled for surgery Thursday to remove a tumor from her neck - but she has some leg issues and she started having a really hard time walking on Tuesday - by Wednesday she could not put any weight on her right front leg. Sadly it was her left front that was normally a problem - she must have been over extending the right leg and now it is hurt.

I canceled the surgery (not in any way related to her leg issue) because I didn't want to put her through all of that stress - if she is at the point she can not walk.

It is going to be a long sad weekend - if she is not getting a little better by Monday - we may have to make that decision - the one that is right but still hard as hell.

I guess finding stupid stuff helps take my mind off my real life problems -

At least for today - I do have bigger stuff to worry about than the state of math proficiency in the USA.

2. Pluto57

Pluto57

When I've noticed it, the multi-packs were coming from a different seller, but apparently that's not always the case. You just have to be aware. Same thing at the grocery store where you'd think a bigger size would be a better deal, but you have to check the per unit or per ounce price there as well.

nrajeff, Caver 60 and TBO like this.

3. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

Same deal on some "Value Pak" ammo. I've almost bit on that before...doing math in my head is a pretty slow process.

4. PatinAz

PatinAz

Have not noticed that, but I bought a single box of those giant jumbo ziploc bags and recieved a 5 box pack instead.

Z71bill likes this.
  5. Z71bill

Z71bill

Ships from and sold by Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Salonpas-Pain-Relieving-Patches-Count/dp/B01AB4U6PI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3BJFOTYVCO1AD&keywords=salonpas+patches&qid=1579269957&sprefix=salonpas,aps,165&sr=8-4&th=1&psc=1

Almost makes me think Amazon is trying to scam the guy that is not paying attention.

Hey Jeff - why set things up like this?

Edit:

Well I do have it wrong -

It is different sellers - but on the same page - I don't recall seeing that before.

So Amazon has the best price if you buy from them - but allows other sellers to screw you if you are dumb.

I guess they can't dictate pricing to others.

But you would think the guy selling his stuff for 3x as much would get zero business. So why bother?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    nrajeff likes this.
  6. cbetts1

cbetts1

Not only Amazon but the grocery store. I use a calculator on my phone and find out that bulk items are not always the best buy. Amazon is convenient but I am finding that they push you towards certain sellers and don't always have the lowest price.

Caver 60, larry_minn and Z71bill like this.
  7. Z71bill

Z71bill

I have noticed this a few times --

Also - on PSA sometimes they will have a free shipping deal -

Like buy a case for $299 and get free shipping -

Then notice I can buy it for $249 and shipping is $29 - total is only $278 - so "paying" for shipping instead of "free" shipping costs you less.

How many people pay more for free shipping? I almost have - maybe I have and just don't know it.

nrajeff, Caver 60 and FullClip like this.
  8. Z71bill

Z71bill

Thanksgiving - wife wanted to make some dish with sweet potatoes - Sugary Sam's IIRC.

They had giant cans - 29 ounces (can't recall but guess) for $2.79 - which is what she needed - but you could buy a 15.5 ounce can for $.89.

So buy 2 smaller cans - get a little bit more than one large can and pay a lot less in total - you could have purchased 3 small cans - got 50% more and still paid about the same.

In the checkout - I noticed the lady in front of me had the big can of Sugary Sams in her cart.

nrajeff and larry_minn like this.
  9. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

You almost need to carry a calculator with you to shop anymore.

FullClip, cbetts1 and Z71bill like this.
  10. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Ebay is always cheaper. Usually no tax. And always free ship. Not as many products but if ebay has it I always buy from them.

rj1939, Z71bill and cbetts1 like this.
  11. Z71bill

Z71bill

I use my phone a lot to do math.

I use to be able to do all sorts of math in my head - I was an accountant and worked with numbers for hours a day every day -

I would catch myself sometimes -

Say I had 3 numbers to add up

$425.15

I would punch them into the calculator and hit total -

Then write down $808.29 without ever looking at the calculator -

Not to brag - but I was the fastest 10 key operator in the world -

If I wasn't careful when I had a long column of numbers to add up - I would go so fast the calculator couldn't keep up - and it would display error!!

I think it was a Monroe calculator that was the best - - when using the paper tape - I could punch in hundreds of entries -

Then get a cup of coffee - and when I got back it was still printing out the numbers I had entered -

One time during a board meeting (I was a grunt) - the president of the company decided to change a bunch of numbers -

Make this one $78,000 instead if $42,000 - stuff like that. The list of numbers was really long.

So I added them up with a calculator -

The way I always did it - when it was something really important -

I would add them up once - then push + memory

Then add them a second time - and hit - memory

If the memory light was off - it meant I had gotten the same total both times - and it gave me some extra confidence I had the correct total.

I did this - added them 2x -

One board member that was always a jerk - says -

This is important - you may want to add those up a second time just to be sure you have the correct total -

I say - I already did add them up 2x - the total was the same. Would you like me to do it again?

He gave me an angry look - but there were a few other guys on the board that smiled - the pres even chuckled a little.

I still think this helped me a few years later when I was trying to get a promotion - the guys that had smiled were in favor of me getting the job - the guy that was a jerk was against me.

He would have been anyway - he was afraid I was trying to get his job.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    nrajeff likes this.
  12. rj1939

rj1939

Most of the time, can't even find what I want on amazon, when I do, it is always higher................not sure how they are taking over the universe.

13. Z71bill

Z71bill

Yes it can be -- but

On some stuff - if I am not sure if it will be the right thing - like when I bought phone cases for myself, wife and daughter - I will sometimes pay a little bit more - at Amazon.

Amazon has such an easy return system - take it to Kohl's - BAM refund --

Same thing even if on Amazon - and some other party has it for a little bit less - I will still buy from Amazon because of the return or because it is faster shipping.

I bought some bandages and medical wraps for my dog - I was almost out -

Ordered them Sunday morning - they were delivered Sunday around 6:00 PM.

I paid a little bit extra for one item - because it was eligible for same day shipping. But still way less than what Walgreen's was charging -

4" x 12 feet gauze bandage - 24 for $13 at Amazon - Walgreen's was 2 for $6

TBO likes this.
  14. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just ordered some ear muffs for my wife -

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Sport Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Teal (R-02521)

Amazon had them for $44 no extra charge for shipping -

Several other places were $50 and some were $56 - and they wanted more for shipping.

But honestly - I think it is just easier. I bet over half the people don't even check any other places before they buy from Amazon.

Click click click - stuff shows up at your door - usually within 2 days - they don't care if it is more $$

I am sort of a cheapskate - I at least want to know how much more I am paying - and if it is a lot I will order from someone else.

I do order from them more now since I have Prime -

I accidentally signed up for it -

I ordered some AA and AAA batteries - they show up the next day -

My wife says - did you accidentally sign up for a trial Prime membership again?

Yes - yes I had --

So I decided to check out Prime video - a few good shows - so we kept it --

FullClip likes this.
  15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

My dad told me he worked in a hardware store one summer after appendix removal. Kids toys $.20 each. Big box. Not selling. So they put box in back for a week. Then put a dozen toys by counter in a bid "sale 4 for $1". He was grabbing toys to refill box next couple days.
    I needed part for washing machine. $16 free shipping but much more then I needed. (I needed 4 plastic "dogs") this had the holder, lots of extra parts. I found just the ". Dogs" $6.

Ok saving $10. At end of checkout (just before credit card info ) shipping $9. What if I broke a piece tearing old one apart? For a $1 I would have new parts..

Z71bill likes this.
  16. drumgod

drumgod

I've noticed it everywhere. Buying a gallon can of Seafoam is almost always more expensive than buying several small bottles.

Z71bill likes this.
  17. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just saw this the other day -

Maybe they produce a million 16 ounce bottles for every gallon they sell -

Was the only thing I could come up with.

18. Z71bill

Z71bill

Classic - Marketing

Create an artificial shortage.

19. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am an admitted Amazon fan boy so I am biased. But dude its not Amazon, it is you. I challenge you to name a few reasonable products that are not available on Amazon for delivery to your front door in 2 days or less time. Now I do concede the items might be available somewhere else cheaper. But Amazon is a one stop shop and done and then its at your door.

/

20. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

See it all the time. Just purchased three two-packs of Dishwasher Magic for the same price they were selling one three-pack. I always look around to see prices from the different sellers, etc.

Z71bill likes this.