Glock Talk banner

Ever heard or seen anything in the woods that you just couldn’t explain?

6670 Views 71 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Cold Dead Hands !
May sound like a goofy topic, but I like reading about things in the woods that may have spooked you or maybe you just couldn’t explain logically.
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Registered
1,351 Posts
Where was this?
Next to a trail 2 miles from my house.
My dog found it.
He usually is very interested in different kinds of poo.
This one he sniffed,lowered his ears and backed away from.
Odd.
It's full of hair so it is from a predator.
Solid too.
It was fairly fresh when I found it.
I actually sent the picture and a sample to the BFRO.
Waiting for a reply.
It's just been almost 2 weeks.

· Registered
531 Posts
This is a story set back in the early 1980s before people had good flashlights, weapon mounted lights, night vision, etc. Basically most lights, if you had one, went about 20 yards with a yellow dim beam and made more shadows than lights.

Anyway, it begins like this. We ran cows on a fairly large place with a swamp in the back. My father and I went to the back of our place to check a fence around dusk. This particular fence went across a swamp and kept our cows from venturing north onto a neighbor's property. I had been back there many times in the past hunting or just piddling around in the swamp so it wasn't a "mysterious" area.

I was a year out of basic training and my dad was a retired Navy veteran, both of us seasoned outdoorsmen. Growing up we didn't have air conditioning in our small farm house in the rural South and used to sleep with the windows open, so we were aware of the night sounds. We would hear coyotes every night and the occasional panther coming through.

Well, we drove back to the pond, got out of the truck, got our rifles, and started back to check the fence, several hundred yards away. We went down into the swamp, crossed a large (10 foot deep) ditch, and began to make our way through a cane thicket with visibility limited to about 5 or 6 feet. The sun was beginning to set as we made our way through the swamp. We hadn't gone too far into the thicket and were only about 50 yards from the fence, my father leading and me behind him, when from what seemed just an arms length away, a bloodcurdling scream came out of the woods that sounded like a woman being violently killed. We both stopped cold, two grown men with rifles. My father turned and looked at me, his face white from the blood draining away, and said, "I think we should head back to the truck, we can check the fence tomorrow". I was shaken as well and said "yeah, I think so".

We headed back to the truck, not saying another word until we got there as the sun set, when he turned to me and said, "What the hell was that!". I said I have no idea. We got in the truck, left, and drove home.

I've thought about it over the years and think it was a big cat sitting on a kill, and later on found out that my dad thought the same. Since then I have seen a panther twice in that area when hunting, in addition to seeing several large bobcats on game cameras and a friend trapping one that had to have weighed 50+ pounds back around 2009 or 2010.

That was definitely one of the scariest moments of my life, and I've gone to war twice but nothing compares to that moment of that scream, deep in the swamp, in a thicket, with the sun setting and no flashlights

· Registered
531 Posts
I just got through checking animals out at the barn and I'm missing a pygmy goat born yesterday before the storms hit. They are inside of a 5 foot fence topped with barbed wire around 5 acres of pasture. I walked the whole area and checked fences and there are no breaches, no sign of blood, no fur, nothing to indicate a bobcat or coyote got in. I'm going to go back out there in a little while and see if it was just really well hidden and shows up and then check the back fenced in 10 acre wooded area.

The fences are "beagle wire" which is basically a rubber coated chicken wire, secured at the bottom and I added two strands of barbed wire to the top. If I don't find it or signs where a predator came and went, I'm going to assume either an eagle or a very large hawk got it. I'll take my dogs and probably carry a rifle this time in case there is a bobcat or coyote hanging around that back area. Something is always wanting to eat your farm animals.

It will be strange if it's missing given how secure of an area they are in. It would almost have to have been a coyote or bobcat that got over the fence, but even a large bird is feasible, especially considering how small the baby goats are. The area was used to raise rabbits and train dogs in the past, so there is a very large hawk that I've seen around the barn.

Reactions: pntblnk

· Premium Member
11,618 Posts
I live in the woods and also spend a lot of time hiking. The noise that always makes me jump is something getting killed at night and letting go a shriek. A lot of Coyote's and Fox around and they do make their kills of Rabbit's and Mice. The only really spooky thing I've seen was what appeared to be an outline of something moving that I could see through. Like the creature in the movie Predator. My Do
Leaf Branch Wood Plant Grass

g was staring at the same thing and growling. Weird! Call it PTSD, but I never go in the woods unarmed, even my own. The obligatory dollar and some large Wolf scat.

· Registered
564 Posts
Back around 1980 I was driving into the Pine Barrens one night to an underage party spot to drink a couple cases of beer with some friends…

Came across a large truck and three or four really nice sedans (couldn’t tell if they were Caddies or Lincolns). They were unloading something off the truck.

Guy in a suit and tie comes walking towards us with his hand in his jacket…

I never knew a ‘69 Nova could go so fast-in reverse.

· Registered
2,023 Posts
I live in the woods and also spend a lot of time hiking. The noise that always makes me jump is something getting killed at night and letting go a shriek. A lot of Coyote's and Fox around and they do make their kills of Rabbit's and Mice. The only really spooky thing I've seen was what appeared to be an outline of something moving that I could see through. Like the creature in the movie Predator. My Do View attachment 1037401
g was staring at the same thing and growling. Weird! Call it PTSD, but I never go in the woods unarmed, even my own. The obligatory dollar and some large Wolf scat.
I live in the woods and one early spring night it was warm enough to sleep with bedroom window open, sometime after midnight I feel a sharp jab in the ribs and the wife telling me to wake up.

As soon as I did I heard the squealing, wife is freaking out about the sound.

I told her go back to sleep it’s just a bunny being eaten alive[emoji16] don’t think she slept much and in the morning I told that’s nature and it can be cruel.

Great horned owls mating calls outside the window really startled me one February night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia
15,064 Posts
True story....friend in a tree stand in northern Florida...sees what looks like an Elk on the Deer trail in front of his stand...he ponders this for a moment, concluding it must be a huge Deer because there arent any Elk in Fla, right?...Boom...Elk (very big Deer) goes down with one shot....he dresses it out, hauls off the meat, keeps the head...thinks he has Got to have a trophy...next day, he learns a tame Elk escaped from a rich locals farm where the local kept him as a pet...oops

· Registered
3,297 Posts
True story....friend in a tree stand in northern Florida...sees what looks like an Elk on the Deer trail in front of his stand...he ponders this for a moment, concluding it must be a huge Deer because there arent any Elk in Fla, right?...Boom...Elk (very big Deer) goes down with one shot....he dresses it out, hauls off the meat, keeps the head...thinks he has Got to have a trophy...next day, he learns a tame Elk escaped from a rich locals farm where the local kept him as a pet...oops
"Oops" is right! Did he ever fess-up?

· Registered
531 Posts
My youngest son (he's now 20) told me several years back that he got home about 2 or 3 in the morning from his girlfriend's house and heard what he said sounded like a small child laughing in the woods. Bear in mind, we live out in the country, 1/4 mile off of the rural hwy, surrounded by trees, the nearest neighbor on each side is over 100 yards away, and the only light not attached to the house or barn is on our power pole.

I asked him why he didn't come in and get a light and go see what it was, and he said "No way. I've seen too many horror movies to do that." LOL I let him worry about it for awhile, then told him a year or so later that a fox will make a noise similar to a child laughing. We have a lot of foxes around the house. We've all seen them and I shot one with distemper a year and half ago

· Registered
11,485 Posts
Not me but a friend saw a weird critter in the woods in E. Tx. He's a real outdoorsman, has been all his life so there's not much in our woods he can't identify. He got a good look at this thing, watched it about 50 yards away for over a minute in broad daylight. He had no idea what it was so he went to the local zoo and described it. (Pre-internet days.)
They pulled out some photos and the animal he saw was positively identified it as a sloth. In the pineywoods of E. Tx. He never figured out where it came from nor did he ever see it again.

· Registered
11,485 Posts
A few years back I was turkey hunting in FL. I had been set up a few minutes when I heard a deep, long guttural growl from a nearby patch of thick stuff.
I had 3.5" magnum 12 gauge and suddenly felt very undergunned.

The only thing I've ever heard close to that sound was a male African Lion at the zoo when he was mad at the female who wouldn't let him breed her. Pretty sure FL doesn't have many lions running around (Panthers yes, lions no). I left the area pretty quick. A local told me the pigs will growl like that. We have lots of pigs around here and ours dont' growl like lions. Still not sure what I heard but I didn't want to be near it!

· Registered
237 Posts
Last year while hiking with the dogs, they both stopped on the trail and stared in same direction. They would not respond to my verbal inquiries, neither one moved, eyes locked in one direction. I walked a bit in front of them, and they did not follow. I turned around and backtracked, they followed soon after I passed them on the return. I figured its was a large cat.

41 - 60 of 72 Posts