Glock Talk banner

Ever heard or seen anything in the woods that you just couldn’t explain?

6688 Views 71 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Cold Dead Hands !
May sound like a goofy topic, but I like reading about things in the woods that may have spooked you or maybe you just couldn’t explain logically.
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Was squirrel hunting ~25 years ago on state grounds. Had a route that looped me back and around a wide valley for Indiana standards (~3.0 mile walk) Stopped at the bottom of the hollow for a late morning snack and sat down on a fallen log....was quietly eating a granola bar when the woods just went silent. No squirrels barking, no birds chirping and no insect buzz....took me a few seconds to realize what had changed and started looking around with the hair on my neck standing up. Scary quiet for another 30 seconds and then had this huge flock of birds come screaming through the woods right over me. Odd thing was that it wasn't all one type of bird - there were crows, sparrows, robins, etc.. Probably ~100 birds in a fairly tight cluster blew through silently other than wings flapping and within about ~10 seconds the normal woods noises returned.

Was the weirdest 60 seconds I've spent in the woods. Nothing further happened that day and I walked out with mess of squirrels but crazy weird.

· Registered
8,710 Posts

About 10 years back we were in the north words & heard a very strange sound. We went towards it & came upon a porcupine in a tree. It was early spring, I think he(she) had mating on the mind.

I had my woods pistol, since he was away from our camp I left him be.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
A few years ago I was hunting out of my blind. I was keeping my eyes mostly on my feeder which was directly in front but occasionally I would scan around to see if something was behind or to the side of me. I saw something move out of the side of my eye. I turned to look towards the back of the blind and I saw a HUGE animal walking on the other side of the barbed wire fence. I had to blink a few times and brought my scope up to get a better look. I'll be damned if it wasn't an EMU! A freaking Australian EMU walking behind me on a lease in TEXAS! I thought about shooting it. What a supper! I thought better of it though. I told my Cousins about it later at camp, and they said it must have gotten loose from some rancher out there. I saw that same EMU several times later, and just watched it. I still don't know how it got there, but it was weird, and cool at the same time.

· Registered
13,936 Posts
Sundog. Thought it was the Second Coming.
I am assuming you are talking about the unusual Sun effect?

Yes! Son and I saw that one day years ago. I had no idea what it was, looked it up later. Very cool! and very weird if you see it and don't know about it:

That is a random picture from the internet.

· Venor ergo sum
"94% of mass shootings occur in gun free zones" CPRC
6,544 Posts
Rapesquatch

I don't like to talk about it.
Was she hawt?

To answer the question, I spent twenty plus years working outdoors intermittently at night in southern CA and AZ. I spent a lot of time afoot and away from roads. I heard and saw a lot, but nothing out of the ordinary. I heard and saw black bears, coyotes, owls, mountain lions, bobcats, possums, raccoons, and damn rattlesnakes. Bears popping their teeth tend to be a little unnerving, as does getting too close to rattlesnakes in the dark. I actually stepped on a couple and managed to not get bitten. Possums make a pretty creepy sound a night and bobcats will growl at you at night as you move through their territory.

No Sasquatches, chupacabras, ghosts, or goblins, or anything inexplicable. Quail busting out in the dark can startle you pretty good, as can owls swooping on your hat.

I will say that the sound of a group of over 100 people fleeing through heavy brush in the dark is absolutely awesome. It has to be heard to be believed.

· Registered
8,710 Posts
How about the mating call of a porcupine? We heard it about 8 years ago in MI, went toward the sound. Here was the sticklepig coming down a tree. I could never of guess it ahead of time, without seeing.

I had a pistol, but I let him be.

· Registered
13,936 Posts

· Registered
12,916 Posts
View attachment 947903
I've seen plenty of bear scat.
This isn't what it looks like.
That turd is next to my size 13 boot and is broken from me moving it out for a picture.
Any ideas?
that's nothing! back in college I came back to the dorm and saw a line leading from the bathroom. Everyone was filing through to take a look at a monster dump that someone left for everyone to admire. The log was the about size of a 28 oz can of beans (and this might just have been the cause of this monster log)...

· M62/76
14,816 Posts
21 - 40 of 72 Posts