Glock Talk banner

Ever heard or seen anything in the woods that you just couldn’t explain?

6687 Views 71 Replies 48 Participants Last post by  Cold Dead Hands !
May sound like a goofy topic, but I like reading about things in the woods that may have spooked you or maybe you just couldn’t explain logically.
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts

· Registered
15,670 Posts
i've been in the woods in winter, snow and ice everywhere. standing very quietly and listening for movement,hunting squirrels and rabbits, i can hear talking, louder than a whisper, no one around... likely, wind blowing through the branches and oak leaves, but it still sounds quite eery....

· Registered
5,597 Posts
May sound like a goofy topic, but I like reading about things in the woods that may have spooked you or maybe you just couldn’t explain logically.
Not a goofy topic.
We have a thread on another forum called "Strange Findings in the Woods"
It's been going on for years and there's always new stories, especially after the hunting seasons are over.
Lots of cool pics of very strange things, abandoned homesteads and what not.

· Registered
1,371 Posts
I live and work in the woods up here.

My job as a logger puts me way out there and years ago I saw something I never saw before.
Something looking at me from over my machine when I got there one morning to start work. It was just getting light out so I could see it very well. Not a bear. The back of my machine is almost 8' tall. Too high for our black bears too look over when standing.
I froze.
It took off after a low ......growl? Rumble is more like it.
I knew then what I was seeing and after spending a lot of my free time looking for another I know there's something out there.

· Registered
2,024 Posts
Sure but the problem with sound is it happens quickly and unless it repeats you’re left to figure out what it was by memory, which can an issue because the mind influences.

A dying rabbit can sound hideous and owls during mating make scary loud vocalization.

Since I live in the woods I’m exposed to “strange” sounds fairly regular.

I just started keeping a digital recorder out hopefully to catch anything out of the ordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
6,086 Posts
This is how I deal with it.

· Registered
5,477 Posts
When my brother and I were deer hunting out of tree stands one time , we were about 200 yards from each other in different stands . We were hunting on our hunting club property , the closest house over a mile away and locked gates to access the property . As it was getting dark and I was walking back to my truck I heard something heavy following me . It was breaking sticks on the ground as it walked . It followed me until I got to the road where my truck was . My brother was already in the bed of his truck looking in the woods , with a scared look on his face . He said the same thing happened to him when he walked out . We never saw it , I assumed it was a black bear . There have been bear sightings in that area , just not many . I started carrying a 44 magnum when I muzzleloader hunted after that , for a backup . It made me feel better anyway too have more than one shot .

1 - 20 of 72 Posts