Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just tried to book a hotel, Days Inn in Missouri. Notice comes back that the reservation is pending and to check my email. An email from an organization called Agoda says they are in the fraud prevention business and that they need some actions to be taken to complete my reservation. They require I fill out more info and send them a scan or photo of my credit card and gov issued id like passport, drivers license, etc. Anybody ever come across this? Seems like a scam. Or am I cautious for nothing? Seems like a lot to go through for a budget hotel in a small city.

Reactions: catman71

·
NRA Life Member
29,325 Posts
Sounds legit.

:rolleyes:

Based in Singapore ; founded in Thailand.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It sounds like what happened to you is what use to happen to the wife and I when we were on the road using our cellphone to shop the web trying to get info about hotels in the area we were staying. Some how we would get intercepted by middleman agents when we thought we had called the hotel chain direct. They weren't crooks, but they were unnecessary middlemen agents who get commissions and cause you to usually pay more then you would have dealing direct with the hotel. They probably snagged you by listing Hotel Names and logos for you to click on, without you realizing that you clicked on a middleman website instead of the real Hotel chain direct. So we would hang up and try again until we got the motel/hotel that we wanted direct. It's very tricky how they do it, because at first you think you're dealing with the hotel chain you intended to call, and then finally find out it's one of the middleman brokers that got you got hooked-up with, the more you talked with them. Most annoying!! No, I certainly would never give out all that info you say that they were requesting. That could have been a hacker altogether!

EDITED TO ADD; Yes, a "booking site" is the proper term when I was saying a "middleman". (As post #15, 16 mentions.)

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
"ahh, go da hell" would be a legitimate response if you have time to waste on such things.

I stay in a few hotels a month for work, often booking several rooms at once and don't book on-line anymore. Had too many problems. Call them on the local number, talk to a real person and get the confirmation number or e-mail.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Not a scam but not necessary. Agoda appears to be owned by the same company as Priceline. Call the hotel direct, get your senior citizen discount, military discount, first responders discount and your tripple AAA discount. I know you qualify for all.

/

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
Or call your credit card company and have them book for you for another discount. Especially true if you have American Express.

/

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the responses. I hit there cust serv email address and asked that res and all associated actions be canceled. Just got an email saying they did so. Maybe it's legit, but it feels like a phishing attempt.

Reactions: TGT and Borg Warner

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a scam but not necessary. Agoda appears to be owned by the same company as Priceline. Call the hotel direct, get your senior citizen discount, military discount, first responders discount and your tripple AAA discount. I know you qualify for all.

/
Yep. Especially since I'm a 68 year old prior green beret currently serving with LAPD SWAT and a big muckety-muck consultant with AAA. I'm a busy guy. I grew a gut just so the young hotties would leave me alone. A fella my age needs his rest. :)

Reactions: Rotn1

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Were you paying with a credit card? If so, I would expect you might hear from your credit card company if there were suspicions, but your credit card company already has your information. Follow the advice to call the hotel directly.

·
NRA Life Member
66,434 Posts
Just tried to book a hotel, Days Inn in Missouri. Notice comes back that the reservation is pending and to check my email. An email from an organization called Agoda says they are in the fraud prevention business and that they need some actions to be taken to complete my reservation. They require I fill out more info and send them a scan or photo of my credit card and gov issued id like passport, drivers license, etc. Anybody ever come across this? Seems like a scam. Or am I cautious for nothing? Seems like a lot to go through for a budget hotel in a small city.
I'd just cancel and pick a different hotel. No way I'd answer that. It's not like it's hard to find a substitute for Days Inn; maybe even one that isn't full of drug dealing gang members every weekend.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
Last August I used my Credit Card to pay for a cab from O’Hare.
Nice Liberian taxi driver.

Anyway within two hours of the ride I have three charges from Agoda who I had never heard of either.

Agoda is a large “booking” site and apparently fraudsters find value in trying to use stolen CC numbers in bookings.

I think, possibly Agoda is probably trying to be proactive in fraud prevention.....

·
Registered
43,593 Posts

·
Registered
11,112 Posts
As soon as you comply with Agoda's request expect your identity to be stolen.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts