Ever have dream at night that your carry gun won't fire?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by David2015, Sep 15, 2015.

1. David2015

David2015

Any of you guys & gals ever have a dream that your carry weapon won't fire when you need it?

Until about a year ago, I never dreamed at night about any situations involving me carrying or using a handgun for self defense... despite my having carried one for almost 30 years on & off the job. But about a yr ago, I started having occasional dreams a few times a month about being in situations where when I went to fire my weapon in self defense, the trigger was very heavy and couldn't be pulled back far enough to release the striker.. no matter how hard I tried.. like something such as lint was jammed in the trigger mechanism so it wouldn't pull back all the way. Sometimes the weapon would eventually fire, other times it wouldn't. This gets me really agitated in the dream and I always wake up when this happens, so I never see the outcome of not being able to fire.

I can't imagine why these kind of dreams have started. I carry Glocks with a dependable smooth 5.5 trigger pull. I know my states laws concerning when I can use deadly force and I'm sure I could & would use my weapon if necessary to defend myself from serious injury or death. So I can't account for having such dreams as of late.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the various news accounts I've read in the last year where some police officers and civilians are reported to be leery of using their weapons because of the angry & sometimes violent retaliation from anti-gunners and the bad guy's family / friends when a bad guy is shot. What ever the reason, it has me perplexed.

Edit: Found a old thread from Oct. 2013 buried in the general gun discussion section about people having similar dreams.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/do-you-ever-have-gun-nightmare-dreams.1506164/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek

No, but I HAVE had dreams where I'm in a situation where I must use my firearm and it fires and I make hits, but it appears to have no effect.

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Very common dreams for people who carry guns. I used to call it "the police dream" after finding out that most police officers I know had very similar dreams - gun won't fire, bullets go slow and won't go straight, bullets hit people but have no effect, etc. I found that it was common to have dreams like that after some kind of stressful event.

4. ruffterrain

ruffterrain

Welcome to the club, my friend.

David2015 likes this.
  5. tattooo

tattooo

Nope....cant carry in NJ....it's not even in my subconscious......lol

6. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

That's interesting.

I've been carrying for close to 10 years and haven't had any gun related dreams. May be 'cause I haven't been in any gun related stressful situations.

I continue to count my blessings.

7. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Yep. Pretty common. I have them sometimes. Nowadays its usually more along the lines of the bullets don't do anything vs. the gun won't fire. People theorize it symbolizes being overwhelmed or feeling inadequate. Doesn't have anything directly to do with guns. Look at it as nothing more than a symbol, consider what led up to the shooting and what the target represents and you might sort out what you're so worried about.

IndyGunFreak likes this.
  8. snappy

snappy

If you put your concealed carry badge on your pajamas before bedtime all will be fine, gun will fire everytime. Just kidding! I have the same thing happen to me from time to time!

David2015 and Cooper like this.
  9. Ricky Ricardo

Ricky Ricardo Incorrigible

I had a dream a couple of different times where I needed to draw my gun, and when I did, the gun was made of soft rubber and it squished in my hand when I tried to squeeze the trigger. It was very weird, and very scary at the time.

10. Pima Pants

Pima Pants Urine Idiot

Yes, from time to time. Recently the dream was about my .380 not having any effect on a bad guy. I have been carrying for 35 years, mostly professionally and it has occurred for as long as I can remember.

11. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I used to dream that my Glock would fire those donut bites. I'm not even a Cop! :supergrin:

Bruce M likes this.
  12. boone10

boone10 Glockeologist

That was not a dream...

Just funnin and would rather not take a .380 anywhere to my person.

The "overwhelmed" part that someone mentioned is what I believe to be a major cause of such dreams. When we are working our butts off everyday, but tend to be spinning our wheels is when I have such dreams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Rotn1

Rotn1

Not a LEO, but I have had this dream several times.

14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

As I've said before, most of my dreams involving guns involve a situation where the trigger pull weight is about 100 lbs. Funny thing is, I recently tried to pull the trigger on my SW 642 .38 snubby with my left hand and I couldn't do it! My hand was weak for some reason. Man that trigger is H-E-A-V-Y!

15. Cooper

Cooper

I've had this dream a lot. I've heard that it comes up in other walks of life: Musician's dream about being on stage but unable to reach the microphone, etc. There's a pretty good rendition of this dream in a Sopranos episode, when Tony dreams he's trying to shoot his old high school football coach.

16. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

You're still in the dream.

17. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Analyze This/That even addressed it with the noodle-sword.

18. Bruce M

Bruce M

Ohh wait this is a thread actually about firearms. Not what I was expecting.

:whistling:

19. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

I've never had one. But guns are mostly a hobby for me and I carry a simple revolver for CCW and don't think much about it or do any training.

20. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

9mm Dreams........... :animlol:

J/K!!!