Ever had a gun that just wouldn’t work for you?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by jame, Sep 19, 2020.

1. jgeng

jgeng

I had a Ruger SR9c that I bought new and had a lot of problems with. It went back to the factory 3 times. After the 3rd time at the factory for repairs, Ruger replaced it with a new pistol (which I appreciated very much).

2. 4runnerteq

4runnerteq

WASR AK. I want to love it. It’s cool with surplus furniture on, but I had mechanical issue right off the bat. Don’t trust it now, but just can’t seem to part with it either.

3. JBL13

JBL13

I've had a WASR 10/63 and a Ruger P97 that would not run reliability. I bought both new.

4. GRT22

GRT22

Taurus PT-22. I swear if I get the time, I will somehow melt it into molten metal, and video record the process!

5. Glock40man

Glock40man

1. Para P-18
    2. Ruger P95
    3. Kel-Tec P-11
    4. Ruger LCP and LC9

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

6. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

CZ75-TS

It was extremely accurate when I shot it. I had three issues with it though:
    1- The slide profile was way too small for me. I go "over the top" with my support hand to rack the slide and there wasn't enough there for me to grip.
    2- It was a 1.5lb trigger. Too light for me. I wasn't confident coming out of the holster for IDPA and Steel shoots.
    3- My strong hand's top index finger knuckle would knock the ambi safety on. I have a high grip obviously.

7. FLSlim

FLSlim

My G26 was close to a doesn't work for me, but the "winner" was an HK P30. The P30 is a DA/SA and, while I have SIG DA/SA pistols that I like to shoot, the HK and I just couldn't get along.

8. jr24

jr24

For me it's the storied Browning Hi Power. Beautiful, feels great in the hand and with the mag safety removed the trigger is ... servacible.

But I just don't shoot it well, I get constant slide bite, I don't like the recoil characteristics, accuracy is OK, the takedown pin/slide stop smashes into my off hand thumb and batters it (usually have a chipped and mangled thumbnail after a decent range session). For carry it's heavy and the spur hammer pokes my ribs.

I keep thinking I should get rid of it, but it is such a nice looking gun and can't be easily replaced, so mostly it collects dust in the safe.

I have 9mm 1911s, Glocks and Sigs I shoot much, much better.

colrhino likes this.
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1

No glocks in the house . No interest in that odd grip angle and there's just to many other handguns out there simply feel better in my hand .

clancy likes this.
  10. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

But it was great training tool for me on failure drills.

I sold it off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

11. clancy

clancy Oh, for a muse of fire

12. CBennett

CBennett

Now I DO like the single stacks they work well for me ;)

clancy likes this.
  13. Nanuk

Nanuk

Ever had a gun that just wouldn’t work for you?

Over the years... A multitude, sell them and move on.

I have arrived at the conclusion that Full size Glock's, 1911's and Smith revolvers work for me.

14. deguelo

deguelo

The one that most comes to mind is my former early Steyr S40. Awesome ergos, decent trigger, easily concealable.... I really wanted to make it my EDC. It had a frustrating habit of failing to completely return to battery, bad enough that I couldn't rely on it for carry. If a gun can break your heart, it did.
    My current S40-A1 does not have that problem, but I'm more 9mm/45 acp oriented now.

15. J_Rico

J_Rico

Springfield XD9. Just never felt right and groups averaged double the size of the G22 I owned at the time.

Sold it. A bit later offered a deal on a different XD9. Tried again. Nope. Not for me.

jame and DonD like this.
  16. DonD

DonD

Yes, two, and both in the past two years.

A CZ, think it was the 10. Shot OK but it felt like a brick in my hand. Other was a Beretta Brigadier, a beefier M92/M9. Again shot fine but engendered no affection in me.

I love all my guns, some more than others but I'm not interested in selling any of them and I have acquired 2 in the last 4 mo and another due to be shipped anytime now. Don

17. J_Rico

J_Rico

Never been a 10/22 fan either. Have a couple around but can not remember the last time they saw daylight.

Do enjoy many other semi-auto 22s.

18. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

19. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Many, but usually I keep them for a while just to make sure that they really don't work. In the end I have a few, "safe bets" and the rest is always like a big, question mark.

jame likes this.
  20. toofman

toofman

Kel Tec sub 2000. I really wanted to like this gun. Checked all the boxes: inexpensive, threaded barrel, takes glock mags. For me, it is the least enjoyable shooting experience out there. The goofy sights don't work with my bifocal.