close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ever had a gun reported as stolen?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Dave Lively, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I recently sold a gun on GunBroker and the buyer called today. When his FFL received it he entered the SN into a database and the gun showed as reported stolen in 2008. Which is impossible since I am the original owner and have had it in my safe since 1992. I cannot find the receipt from when I bought it. I no longer have the gun and am going to have to refund the buyer's money. I live in Georgia, the gun is in Tennessee and it was reported stolen in Florida.

Anyone had something like this happen? If so how was it resolved and how long did it take?

I bought it from a dealer at a gun show and cannot remember which dealer, it might have been one that mostly sold at gun shows. I am still hoping that since I am the original owner it will be possible to trace the gun to the dealer that sold it to me and find a 4473 showing I bought it. I have both film and digital photos of it but none of them show the SN except for the ones I took when I was selling it

There might be something to that "Never sell a gun" saying.

2. GoBigOrange

GoBigOrange

There is no way in hell I'd be giving them the money back if I knew it wasn't stolen. I can certainly sympathize with the buyer but it's not your fault. It sounds more likely that the clerk entered the wrong serial number into the system.

kd4jvg, Caver 60 and garya1961 like this.

3. SmokeRoss

SmokeRoss GTDS Member #49

I have thought about that. Someone remembers their serial number wrong, or needed reading glasses when they wrote it down. I keep the receipt every time I buy a firearm. I also run the number on any one that I buy used. But even though one comes back clean when you ran it, doesn't mean someone couldn't report it stolen later.

Caver 60 likes this.
  4. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

I would get with the ATF to get Proof, before I would refund a single penny.

You stated you have owned it since 1992.

Buyer states it was stolen in 2008, on what data base???

:cool:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  5. uzimon

uzimon team ftp

Sold one to a friend who had it stolen from him by a lady of the night (no he wasn't fbi)
    Another time Had cops call me telling me to come get my stolen gun.
    I say what stolen gun?
    Some maggots had found my Id, evidently changed the pic and altered the dob and used it to buy a .25
    No way in hell did I want a Saturday night special that's been God knows where.
    Another time a gun I sold to an African American was used in a shooting. Strange how cops obtained my new phone number. Only guess it from a subsequenr, recent 4473 where my #was written to contact me when i was delayed

crockett likes this.
  6. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I would think that if a gun shipped to a FFL showed up on the "stolen gun list", that somebody else than the buyer would be calling or paying you a visit. Kinda' sounds like the buyer could be trying a scam and getting you to refund his money while he keeps it for himself.
    Did anybody other than the buyer contact you about this matter??

ginelmore, Caver 60 and garya1961 like this.
  7. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

Not yet but it is the weekend. I am going to check with my FFL about it being stolen before I refund the buyers money but I do not see how this is his problem. I really do not think this is a scam. I have never seen a scam where the buyer starts by building up a 100% positive feedback score on GB over several years and then sends postal money orders to the scamee.

8. JArthurD

JArthurD Silver Member

This is why I won’t buy guns at shows or from folks I don’t know personally.

SevenSixtyTwo and slugger6 like this.
  9. Phelen_Kell

Phelen_Kell

What database does an FFL use to check for stolen guns?
    He enters it into his book. It doesn't get checked with NCIC?
    When he calls it in, he doesn't give a serial number when waiting for the proceed. They just say handgun.
    Demand proof from your buyer and buyer's FFL and a police report.

10. garya1961

garya1961

What did buying it at a gun show have to do with it being reported stolen 8 years latter while it was in his safe?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  11. crockett

crockett

That's just one reason why I don't sell any guns, and don't buy anything at shows or through personal contact.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  12. garya1961

garya1961

Again, what did buying it at a gun show have to do with this? He could have bought it at the local gun shop and it wouldn't have made any difference.
    Do you keep everything you buy? Anything can be reported stolen.

13. crockett

crockett

I said I don't sell any guns, which would have prevented this entirely because the buyer's FFL had to run it though the check. I only ever gave one gun back to the LGS because of a design failure, never sold one, never will.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  14. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

I am not aware of any database but laws vary from state to state. I am going to check with my FFL and if there is such a database in Georgia have him run the SN. I am also going to ask the buyer for a contact in the police department that has the gun and then call the police department with their public number and ask to be transferred to that contact. I am not a good judge of people so I am going to do my due diligence but the buyer really, really does not sound like a scammer and the facts do not support that.

The way I view this some clerical error or fraud in Florida has cost me my gun (at least for the next few months, hopefully not forever) and about $120 in shipping and GunBroker fees. Refunding the buyers money is a wash. It is also the right thing to do. He paid for a gun and should either get the gun or a refund. If he had paid with a check and wanted the refund sent Western Union it would be different. But he paid with postal money orders which I deposited over a week ago and is OK with my sending him a personal check for the refund.

I also want to talk to the detective handling the case to see what is going on and ask what it will take to get the gun back. Someone either committed a crime or made a mistake. If it was a crime I would really like to see them get caught even though the oddx of that happening after 8 years are pretty low.

Jringo8769 likes this.
  15. Dave514

Dave514

I'd pay return shipping and take the gun to authorities that could help me get to the bottom of it.

FullClip likes this.
  16. JamesIra

JamesIra

I have no problem buying or selling over the internet or face to face or at a gun show. Never had a problem, and if I do I will deal with it.

There are too many good deals to be had out there and almost none of them are at your LGS. Yes, I know most folks want to keep their LGS in business and that's a nice thought for them.

Earl Smith likes this.
  17. crockett

crockett

I get the best price to be found on gunbroker on basically any new and current gun from my LGS. I search the price, send him an email, and pick it up a few days later.

18. PzGren

PzGren

Florida has a database where stolen guns can be looked up. I had a Ruger SP101 stolen from my son's car in 2012 and still can find it in the database. I have the serial numbers of all my guns safely recorded and keep receipts. With the serial number you can do a search in the Florida online stolen property website and then contact the reporting agency. There is the odd chance that the identical serial number was given to a gun of a different manufacturer. Lugers for instance have serial numbers that are incomplete without suffix and year and only ran from 0001a to 9999a and started over at 0001b.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/restricted/PAS/StolenGun.jsf

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Road Dog and Dave Lively like this.
  19. Dave Lively

Dave Lively

Thanks! My gun does not show up in that database.

I thought I had all my receipts but spent 5 hours looking for this one without success. My usual technique is to put it in the manual for the gun and put that in my safe. I remember pulling the receipt out before I shipped the gun and looking at it but it did not make it back into the safe. Tomorrow I am going to take pictures of all the receipts so I can have electronicd backups.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  20. PzGren

PzGren

Dave, mine does show up. I will PM you the serial number of that SP101, so that you can see that it works and what message is coming up.

I am pretty sure that this will be cleared up shortly.