Ever go through a "slump" in life for no reason?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by nsl, Apr 6, 2010.

1. nsl

nsl

My home, cars, guns, etc are all payed for, so I really don't have a reason to be in a slump, but I am. I hate going to work, hate coming home. I can buy a new gun or toy, and my interest lasts about a week, then I just pitch it aside with everything else. I don't even get anything out of shooting anymore. My days off consist of going to town for something to eat, maybe a stop at Walmart or other stores to see if anything worth watching is in the bargin bin DVD's, etc. This is getting more common with me.

2. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

When the routine becomes too much, or too mundane, that's the problem. I recommend trying some new things (high adrenaline like bungee jumpig, sky diving, etc.), Books (I recommend the Left Behind series), pick up a bad habit (but don't let it control you)...I have maybe a cigar or 2 a month tops, but have a couple well-stocked humidors. I know when the routine gets to me, I spend more time with the dog(s), and the aquariums. Also trying to learn Kendo. My best advice is find a new hobby, change things up outside of work, and the like. Be glad you have a job and are debt-free...maybe look into a 2nd (vacation) home...the prices are right in many places! Buy an old car or ATV or whatever and tinker with it.

Red

3. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Many ups and downs are for no reason.

4. jtmac

jtmac Señor Member

Men are made to fulfill a purpose.

Sometimes we can satisfy that with a hobby for a little while. Sometimes we get bored with it for a little while. Regardless, we have to have a purpose.

What's yours?

5. Jdog

Jdog

yes, i've been there. Have you tried religion or getting a woman? (You gotta have somebody to hang with)
    Sounds like you've overdosed on entertainment and worldly toys. How about a garden or a dog?

6. seamaster

seamaster

You are the only person I heard of that has no debt. Congratulations on that!

It sounds to me like you are just bored and that happens to all of us regardless of how much debt we have or don't have. My suggestion is to take a spontanious vacation. 2 weeks in someplace that doesn't have a Walmart and that's warm enough that you don't have to wear socks!

Cheers,
    Seamaster

7. brausso

brausso

I am assuming you're not married. Go on a few dates, let a girl drive you crazy. Join a rec team (soccer, softball, flag football). Exercise will keep you busy and help increase the chemicals in your body to make you feel better. Alternate weights one day, cardio the next. Mix it up, enjoy the journey, have fun. Get a dog, they are always entertaining and take up a bunch of your time.

8. KommieforniaGlocker

KommieforniaGlocker

Travel try something new.................

Book a trip somewhere far and totally different than what you know and used to. I read an article while back that "experiences" vs. "luxuries" tend to make people happier. I kind of side with it, COngrats on being debt free and gainfully employed........Now get out there on your next vacation, go somew where different, exotic?? Its a HUGE WORLD out thre. You are bored because you have compartmentalized yourself and lifestyle to a routine....(Which is good because stability is nice) but too much of anything can be bad.

9. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Grab your binos and head to the state park in the late afternoon. You may be surprised how much wildlife moves about in your own area. You may even meet somebody worth chatting with.

10. shavedape

shavedape

Why do you expect the world to entertain you? The world is an endlessly fascinating place but it requires some effort from you to enter that world. Digging through a bin at Walmart isn't exactly exerting yourself. Sorry to get Zen on you but it's approro: Work on your own salvation. Do not depend on others. That, my friend, is the key to your happiness.

11. AKguy

AKguy

Sounds somewhat similar to me. I go through periods where I hate everything about my day. I hate being home and I hate being at work. My evenings/nights always end up with a trip to a fast food joint, followed by local gas station for a lottery ticket, and then Walmart to see if they have any ammo in stock. I think it's because those things occupy my time and get me out of the house. But eventually that becomes boring as well.

Whenever I start to feel bored with my life, I take a VERY long walk through the woods. It's refreshing. I take my dog and spend 4 or more hours in the woods. I tell you, you will never see me more calm and collected as you will if you catch me in the woods. I don't know what it is about it, but it allows me to get away from everything and clear my mind. No stress, no worries, nothing. Just peace and quiet, and the natural beauty that God laid at my feet.

Give it a try. It works for me. I hope it works for you as well.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  12. JuneyBooney

JuneyBooney

A lot of people who used to be ardent shooters seem to have stopped shooting lately. It is called stress of life. Some of what you describe is depression and that is normal with the US being so messed up. Unless you are filthy rich life is overall "depressing." You need to relax and go out and if you don't have a pet, get one. Walk the dog and relax. They do claim that people who are "depressed" live longer than those that have "high anxiety: But it is not fun. Are you a heavy drinker? Stop the boozing..it only makes it worse. Good luck.

13. Chevy327

Chevy327

It sounds like you are on the verge of something exciting! I have found that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ has given my life purpose and clarity. Get a Bible that can be read, like an NIV version or a NASB version and visit a church in your area. You're about to step into a whole new world. You'll find the thing for which you're looking.

14. ChrisTKHarris

ChrisTKHarris I like to shoot

Get out and be active. Working out/sports definitely helps to relieve stress and it's a good way to get you mind off of things related to work, school, family, etc...