Ever go through a bad situation and emerge a truly better person for it?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by OXCOPS, Mar 8, 2010.

1. OXCOPS

OXCOPS

They say, "that which does not kill us only makes us stronger". Have you ever been through a trying time and emerged better off because of it?

I guess I have two. When I went through a divorce a few years ago, I wasn't really sure where I was going to stay. My parents lived in the same town, but before I left the ex, I might talk to them a handful of times a month. I called them the day I left to give them a heads up. They INSISTED I stay there. Big house....separated living area...plenty of privacy. So, I did. During the time I was there, I grew so much closer to them. We discussed alot of things and really re-connected. Today, I live 1400 miles away and talk to them weekly.

My second would be spending two years in a recent job. It was horrible. Unprofessional, incompetent management made alot of days feel like junior high. Plenty of self-serving individuals who would stab you in the back to advance their personal motives. Really....bad.

I saw alot of poor management behaviors that seemed like common sense decisions to me. Having management jobs before I took this one made me take a serious look at my management style and personal traits.

Now, I am in a new job that requires management of a diverse group of people. The previous job solidified what I already knew in my mind of just how damaging poor leadership can be. It provided further proof of how people want to be treated, and when treated right will work so hard to accomplish common goals.

Do you have any life experiences that changed you for the better?

2. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

Yes. But I never want to do it again. Thank you.

3. coq

coq Raging Member

Nope. I'm much worse off now.

4. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

everyone has , if they say no then its either not happened yet or they forgot when it did . but it happens to everyone . from the smalllest pebble to the grand canyon no matter the size its happened to everyone .

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Every truly earth-shattering thing that has happened to me was a catalyst for a better life. I can honestly say I've emerged from every horrible situation in a much better position than I was in when it happened.

I know it sounds trite but, it's true.

7. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Goin through one right now, but I'd rather not talk about it.

I honestly think I have became a better person because of the things that have happened the last month or two. Some dumb mistakes made by myself and some others and a lot of lessons learned.

8. deadday

deadday

My Army time. I think during my short stint I experienced damned near every high an every low it hd to offer. I spent over half my enlisted time 1000s of miles from my wife, I watched good friends die, i watched good friends suffer horrible, life altering injuries...I watched families (my own included) deal with the pain, stress, exhaustion, and fear of dealing with the recovery process. I felt the fear of being forced to leave the Army with an uncertain future. And I came out of it with a far better outlook on life than I've ever had. I cherish my family time and I found a new purpose in life which I am expending every energy to actualize.

9. hoffy

hoffy

Nietzsche said what does not kill makes him stronger, Hoffy's corollary- it may cripple him though. Try getting hit at a stoplight from behind by a car going 35+mph while on a motorcycle. I was just turning my head to mirror check, but he was closing too fast, didn't even get eyes on him. Nothing good has come from this, other than I was not killed or paralyzed, though some days I hurt so bad I wonder if that would have been better. It has really given me a poor attitude, I live for the day now for each may be the last, how great is it to go through life with that attitude. "Life is brutish and short" -Hobbs

10. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

I'm pretty sure every one that has lived to their mid 30s has or soon will have that experience. After all I believe that is the main way that people learn most of lifes most important lessons. Pain is a wonderful teacher. You gain selfconfidence and self assurance and learn all about yourself by overcoming difficult situations.

sometimes it's later in your life that you realize this and realize the importance of it. All that you believe, all that you know, all that you are is a direct result of the experiences you have had and the things you have seen and done over the course of your life and how you have reacted in times of trouble. Over coming adversity is how character is defined.

11. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

Yep, a couple times. I will relate them in the hope that they will help others realize what they have in their life, and the lessons contained there-in.

Two such experiences stand starkly in my mind. The first was being born to the parents fate chose for me. My parents were the most godawful people who never should have had kids. Mentally and physically abusive when they weren't just outright ignoring my brother and I as best they could. I have no idea how I survived being helpless as an infant in their care................my younger brother did not. This drove me solidly, made me the person I am today, absolutely driven to succeed, unwilling to be my parents, unwilling to rest until I had succeeded, unwilling to compromise by a single angstrom on my definition of success, unwilling to accept anyone else's definition of success by a single angstrom. I did it. I AM completely successful. I would not have had that drive with a normal childhood or being raised in a conventional manner.

Second was a motorcycle crash. Despite making very good money flipping houses, I was miserable and lonely. Pursuing a life of increasingly risky behavior, I believe I was unconciously trying to commit suicide. Then came the crash. A week in the hospital, reconstructive surgery, years of painful physical therapy, and pain that will never go away to keep reminding me of the lesson learned. Got a thumping good enough to get my attention and get me to slow down, but didn't kill me. Near death experiences are good for focusing one's priorities and making them concentrate on what's REALLY important. The old cliche "money doesn't buy happiness" is true. I would know, I have the money, but it's my wife that makes me happy. Everything else is gravy.

12. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

I think that's happening to me now. At least I hope I become a better person when it's behind me.

13. Ragnar

Ragnar

This is a myth. What doesn't kill you leaves you in a wheelchair.

14. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

#1. US Navy's Nuclear Power School.
    Taught me how to study. Showed me that I could learn anything if I spent enough time sitting at a desk without any distraction. Proved to me that there is no magic, miracles or mysteries...only facts and physics.

#2. Burying a planeload of close friends and a woman I loved.
    Gave me the resolve to do something meaningful with my life. #1 provided me with the means to carry it out.

15. Puppy

Puppy

Adversity will either make you a stronger, better person or it'll turn you into bitter & depressed person.

Which one you become depends on whether or not you keep trying to over come that adversity or if you simply give up & allow the adversity to defeat you.

16. GlocknSpiehl

GlocknSpiehl NRA Life Member

I have had the lowest of lows: sitting and deciding whether life was really worth living, even for another minute, or two or ten... It forced me to take a hard look at myself, my life and why was I so damned miserable.

A very hard look.

Finally I decided: "Illegitimi non carborundum". I got my self some life counselling, went and found a non-toxic job and decided to be happy with myself as a person. I did a complete overhaul of my life and am a much happier person today.

17. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Divorce. War. Danger zones. Other than those, not particularly.

19. johnd

johnd

20. Squaw Man Wolfer

Squaw Man Wolfer