Ever Buy a New AR Part and Not Know What You Are Going To Do With It?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ShaneS, Mar 6, 2017.

1. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I bought a PSA CHF CL lightweight 14.7" P&W midlength upper last week because it seemed like an ideal upper for home defense, range and deer lease use. It was offered at a good price with free shipping. I received it today but can't decide what I'm going to do with it. The difference between a 14.7" and 16.1" barrel with the flashhider is not as significant as I expected. It is a nicely built and finished upper, but I have others that are similar. I will probably mount one of my Aimpoint PROs on it and use it as I first thought. Now I've got to decide what lower to put it on, etc.

What have you bought - then didn't know what you were going to do with it?

2. Walk Soft

Walk Soft

Last year I bought a NIB LE6921CK complete upper from Armslist for cheap. I noticed it had been on there for six or eight months and I was surprised no one had bought it. I figured WTH I'll message him and make an offer. So I got it and realized why I got it so cheap. I'd have to have a comp pinned and welded on it. I ended up going a similar route with a PRO I already had. I chopped the A2 and put on an ALG rail.
    Then put it on an Anderson lower I had laying around. Then I bought a SSA-E trigger that was on sale.
    It ended up not being a cheap gun after all.
    [​IMG]

3. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I sent the upper back. It had a couple of minor flaws and I wasn't feeling it.

SJ 40 likes this.
  4. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

I thought the rule was "if you have an extra part worth more than $25, you have to build a new AR around it."

dudel, MO Fugga and pgg00 like this.
  5. pgg00

pgg00

That's how i ended up with some of mine. "I have spare parts so i should use them"

Spats McGee likes this.
  6. QNman

QNman Old timer

I have a whole box of parts that I didn't have a plan for... if I am at a gun show, or online, and I see a quality part for a great price, I tend to pick it up.

And then this happens...

StarvinMarvin likes this.
  7. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I have had parts in the gun cabinet for 3-4 years and than decided to build a gun. I sold most of my extra parts in December when I decided that I'm probably done with ARs.

8. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I don't order stuff I'm not sure what I'm going to do with, my problem is ending up with parts I don't need after upgrading them. I wish it were easier to sell some things, like stocks, but EBay throws fits if you try to list a rifle stock.

9. Biggsly

Biggsly Good looking deplorable

I bet I have given 20+ stocks to guys doing their first build. The factory stocks aren't worth anything, but I at least get to help someone out.

dudel likes this.
  10. intenseneal

intenseneal

I dont buy stuff I dont have a use or plan for.
    Why send back the PSA upper? I have had nothing but good luck with everything from PSA. I love my one PSA upper and am waiting to order another once a FF upper with the barrel I want comes back in stock, really love their melonite barrels.

11. dudel

dudel

Mancode!

Spats McGee likes this.
  12. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I'm a PSA fan and am pleased with the two PSA rifles I put together. However, the pin and weld job on this upper is very sloppy and PSA used two different types of screws side by side to attach the FF handguard. It isn't significantly shorter than my 16.1" barrel upper to make any difference in handling. I had hopes of building a short lightweight rifle around it. It just wasn't nice or different enough to build another rifle around it after all.

13. intenseneal

intenseneal