GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had a guy call off sick last Wednesday, and take off work for the rest of the week. But his friends tagged him in photos of their fishing trip, and he got busted. Have any of you ever gotten caught skipping out of work?

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was 16 or 17 a guy I worked with called off saying his grandmother had died. His parents can by the store that night looking for him. The manager gave his condolences, since granny had just died. Turns out granny was fine, and my coworker caught a well deserved beating.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
No. But I have a work environment where lying is not needed. Just give the boss a head's up.

Now, when I was young, I might have shoved a cotton ball up one nostril and called out. But that was way before social media would rat you out.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
I'm 61 and have never missed work just to have day off. Closest I've come is using my sick time to take off but there's no restrictions on what you can do with it. There are several subsets to sick like family member, death, off, etc.

Since I'm often away from home with no one I know near by I tell coworkers that I will not lay out. If I'm taking off it's planned and you will know. If I don't make it in someone needs to check on me.

·
This used to be AMERICA........
1,481 Posts
Not me. I will call in and explain that I have an eye problem. Can't see coming in.
Or a leg problem- can't stand being there.
That reminds me I took off next Monday for no good reason. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. But I have a work environment where lying is not needed. Just give the boss a head's up.

Now, when I was young, I might have shoved a cotton ball up one nostril and called out. But that was way before social media would rat you out.
He may or may not keep his job, but his future with the company has been scuttled. Shoulda just been honest. But it is funny.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Called off this past Saturday due personnel reasons. First time I have CO in over a year. Went to Vegas to shop for a hot tub. On the way back home passed my VP's truck on the highway. Did not recognize it till too late. Yes he knows my vehicle. He was off today so will see tomorrow how bad it is. Hope he was goofing off to??

·
Registered
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Called off this past Saturday due personnel reasons. First time I have CO in over a year. Went to Vegas to shop for a hot tub. On the way back home passed my VP's truck on the highway. Did not recognize it till too late. Yes he knows my vehicle. He was off today so will see tomorrow how bad it is. Hope he was goofing off to??
Called off. Vegas. Hot tub. Kinda can't be mad at that one.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Maybe when I was 19 years old. I’m an adult now, and work in a position where they’d really have to scramble to fill my slot if I suddenly called off. Responsible adults show up when they’re supposed to be there.

And the grownups eventually run the show. The “kids” that always seem to be absent a couple of days a month? For usually shaky reasons? They don’t last long.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Never called in sick,I called in good, “ I’m felling to good to come to work today !”

My job nobody cared , unless you really abused it . You’re required to be home during work hours if you call in , and they can send a Chief out to make sure , but seldom did . We had the ,lowest sick time of any City dept .

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had an employee call out due to too much snow. Everyone driving cars made it in but his 6” lifted f350 on 37s supposedly couldn’t. In a casual conversation with me a couple days later he let it slip that he got his doctors note from his buddies wife so he didn’t have to come in that day. He didn’t last long.

·
Registered
7,089 Posts
Never really called in when I wasn’t sick.

But when I was younger working 3-12s 6pm-6am, the foreman and I would go to the bar at the midnight break and have 5 or 6 drinks. One time a day manager came in the bar, we went out the back:D nowadays I couldn’t handle drinking after 6hrs and going back and working 6 more. But we actually got a lot done back then.

·
The Kindly Curmudgeon
3,553 Posts
One boss I had always said "call of the wild, eh John?" after I showed up for work finally. Worked there 27 years.

·
Sarcasm Inc.
15,085 Posts
Not so's you would notice

Reactions: quantico

·
Pinky Out
58,529 Posts
I've never called in sick.
No reason too, I still have 188 hours of vacation unused this year right now. I won't come close to using it. No, they don't pay me for unused vacation.
Same
I have three weeks of vacay left that I won’t take.

On the road I don’t have much choice but to go in but when in town if I don’t feel like going in I just work from home.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts