Ever allow your collection to get out of control? Ever scale back/refine?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by PlayboyPenguin, Mar 20, 2010.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

As many of us know, it is easy to go a little overboard when you love firearms. My question to you today is...

Have you ever found yourself going overboard with firearms purchases? Did you ever stop and decided to scale back or refine your collection for any reason? Did you ever have to start over because of a loss and do things differently the second time?

Now I know this is very subjective. Some people will think five handguns is going overboard because "who needs five handguns?" Others will think there are good reasons to own at least a hundred different guns. It is all a matter of perspective.

I personally went a little crazy when I first got back into handguns a about 4-5 years ago. Unfortunately it happened to coincide with me making real money for the first time in my life (much more than I make now) and I went a bit spend crazy. I bought guns willy-nilly with no real rhyme or reason.

When I first started buying guns I did not take the time to refine my tastes first. I just bought whatever struck my fancy. The result was I ended up with a lot of guns that I did not like for one reason or another. Luckily I was able to sell or trade most of them off later, but it was almost always at a loss. Only on guns I bought and refinished did i ever make a profit. Take a look at THIS ALBUM to see what I traded/sold off to give you an idea.

When I started buying my collection looked like this...

[​IMG]

Then it very quickly grew and I had to buy a second safe for rifles. It started looking like this...

[​IMG]

Then it looked like this on the handgun side...

[​IMG]

Now the handgun safe looks about the same but there are fewer guns strewn throughout the house and I have quite a few less rifles and guns altogether.

At one point my collection reached over 65 guns. Now I am down to just under 50 and still refining a bit. Now I try to only buy a gun I have a good reason for buying. It has to serve a purpose and I have to get rid of a gun it is replacing. Luckily my buying is also controlled these days by good old lack of funds. That way my weak self control does not play such a factor. :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  2. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 1911

Oh, I think I'm in "refining" mode currently. Though I admit, I don't have anywhere near as many to whittle down (only about 15 or so here)! :shocked:

My issue is, I am a "shooter", not a collector, not a hunter, not really "into" concealed carry or any of that kind of stuff. I like to SHOOT. I currently shoot Highpower rifle competition and the club's recreational action pistol matches, which as loosely based on the IDPA format. Given the time and appropriate firearms, I would like to try 3-gun and would LOVE to have a smallbore match rifle for indoor winter shooting.

Right now my Kel-Tec PF-9 is on consignment. I am giving 3-4 other guns the hairy eyeball, seriously contemplating trading a TC Encore toward a Mossberg 590A1 18.5" ghost ring (see above 3-gun reference) and then liquidating a couple of others to ease the ammo and reloading inventory.

I wish I made enough money and had the space to start from a 60 gun collection! :crying: But I am an old-New England Yankee at heart (read: practical, conservative and cheap!) and all of my firearms I am NOT considering trading are real hard-use guns. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010

3. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I had guns from most manufacturers, and that required different holsters and mags and such. I trimmed down the manufacturer list but increased the number of guns. 1 BHP, 1 .25 Beretta and 24 Glocks, 1 Python and 13 Smith revolvers.
    Riflewise, 1 AR, 1 PTR 91, 1 AK, 1 Ruger #1 and a Weatherby .308, 6 10/22s,
    3 870s, 1 1100.
    I suppose I am brand faithful, but am looking for 2 more Glocks (3 if I get a
    4th gen), and might buy a Galil and a .22/250 varmint bolt gun.

4. raven11

raven11

i have

1 rifle
    1 shotgun
    but 4 9mm pistols

and i think i have too many 9mm pistols:rofl:

5. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Overboard? Maybe a little. Is 16 Makarovs overboard?
    Out of control? No. I'd say out of control is buying things you can't afford. If I can't pay cash for something I don't buy it.

Years ago I sold my 44 Mag revolvers and rifles because I thought the caliber was getting too expensive to punch holes in paper.

I 1995 my gun shop burned down. I lost most of my reloading equipment, components and about 23,000 rounds. Also lost 7 guns. Lucky all the other guns were in the house.

Since the insurance was all replacement cost, and even bought me a far nicer building that the one that burned, starting over wasn't a big problem.

But that stuff was nothing compared to the personal stuff I lost, which was priceless.

6. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

oh man, for me it's like Groundhog Day. Again and agan and again I find myself with far more guns than I can either shoot or even admire.

But that's the life of a gun nut and shooter.

Deaf

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

Not really 'refined' here, other than I like .38sp revolvers.

8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I got really stupid with sks's at one point many years ago. I finally got rid of all of them except one norinco SKS-D and 2 Russians.

9. GlockPride

GlockPride Glock 23

I used to buy guns willy-nilly. I had calibers from .17hmr to .300rum.
    I then startedwanting to stock deeper and then reloading. That led me to get rid of certain calibers and really focus. Got rid of: .17hmr, .25acp, .32, .380, .300rum, 20ga and .45acp.
    Retained: .22lr, .22wrf, 9x19, .40s&w, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, .223rem, .243win, and 12ga.
    I reload for 9x19, .40, .223, and .243

10. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

No.

I plan on owning only 6 handguns and 6 long guns.
    I don't think that's too many.

11. bkektk

bkektk

It is very simple, when someone asks you, "how many guns you have"?????
    After giving the question some thought you say, "I don't know". Only then you can start cutting back a bit.

Or you look back in a unused case and find a nice little gun and say,"Where did that come from"??????:dunno: And you realy can't remember where you got that gun, but it's nice.

Brian

12. ElevatedThreat

ElevatedThreat NRA Member

Yes, over the years I have acquired far too many gun, even for me.

I find myself very tempted to thin my centerfire rifles down to a few top quality bolt guns, chambered in these calibers:

.221 Remington Fireball,
    .22-250 Remington,
    .260 Remington,
    .30-06 Springfield.
    and .375 Ruger

I can do anything that needs dong with a rifle in North America, with those calibers, with zero compromise....

-ET

13. bac1023

bac1023

I don't scale back, but I like to refine. :supergrin:

14. ronin.45

ronin.45

When I was younger I bought guns that had no purpose and ended up with several that never left the house. I sold some safe queens and decided on one type of gun to collect and every other gun has a purpose.

15. armorplated

armorplated

Don't you ever get tired of asking rhetorical questions?

16. rtl

rtl Robby The Guy Millennium Member

perpetually refining..........improving........to the point i wouldn't part with anything, only add something new.

17. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

nah, i only have 3 shotguns. i need a few rifles and eventually a few handguns.

18. simplyrob

simplyrob

thanks for posting those pics. ill be sure to show them to my wife when she says my "collection" is getting out of control. lol. 6 firearms and growing. 4 pistols and 2 rifles. dont think i could afford to go out of control. not yet.

19. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i got up to 33 glocks before i sold some off. got rid of everything i had in .38 super, 44 spl, ,45 colt, 10mm, and ,45 GAP to simplify ammo and componets. now i have a .44 and .45 again so gettign back to where i was. i was up around 80 or so firearms and started selling some off as my needs have changed and i wanted to use the money to fund some STIs i wanted for competition. i got below 50 firearms but now have added several factory STIs and a couple of custom STIs and several other high end pistols. sort of got into prelock S&W revolvers lately and have bought several (10 or so) and not shot the first one. most of what i buy any more is for competition other than the smith revolvers.

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'm with you - I only buy guns that have a shooting purpose and if I'm not shooting them, they're gone. I don't even really get along with collectors - it's like talking guns with an alien ("Here's my newest 15 guns - never been fired":rofl:). I'm currently wanting an IDPA ESR revolver and maybe a new ESP pistol.