Evening / Night time attire - carry options

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Ninjamamaseeta, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Ninjamamaseeta

Ninjamamaseeta "You don't get what you don't ask for."

I did a couple searches and came up empty regarding what people tend to do for their evening routines when they're home, maybe changed into a pair of sweats or pajamas, and don't have their typical belt / holster on but still want to have their firearm nearby.

I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has on how to secure a loaded weapon while you're home and enjoying movie night or doing some odd small household chores but aren't wearing your typical daytime garb.

Do those of you who regularly carry, fully disarm, unload, lock, and go about your business? Are you carrying a tactical flashlight everywhere you go, just in case? How much does your daily carry routine, follow you into the evening within your home?

Thanks in advance!

2. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I usually stay dressed until getting into bed. In the rare occasion I do change early, holstered gun goes inside the armrest of my chair. No kids in our home (except our pups), so this is safe IMO.

DEM and Ninjamamaseeta like this.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I stash guns everywhere in the house.

robhic, seanmac45, G29guy06 and 2 others like this.
  4. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

No kids in our home, so when I get home my pistol goes in the drawer beside my recliner, and when we go to bed I take it upstairs to the nightstand. I don't feel like carrying around the house, but if I answer the door it's in the drawer near the door and I'll put the paddle holster on before answering the door, or before we walk down the street to get the mail and drop off the trash.

Ninjamamaseeta likes this.
  5. dubito

dubito

I usually go out to eat on most nights, and my guns usually stay on me until I go to bed. If I take off my primary before retiring, I'll still carry my ankled backup.

6. The Hawk

The Hawk

I keep a small LED flashlight in the pocket of my sweatpants (which is what I wear around the house). Have not had to worry about securing firearm for many years as both of my sons are grown and living on their own. I have firearms hidden throughout the house.

w provence and Ninjamamaseeta like this.
  7. John Biltz

John Biltz

In the winter when I wear sweats I pocket carry a Glock 42 around the house. I also keep a 9mm near where I sit.

8. DrVlad

DrVlad Millennium Member

Like Hawk I have a small flashlight in my sweats at night......after 50 eyes are sh** without light. After I change into night clothes, lock house and turn on alarm, I take off my carry gun, a G43.
    My carry gun goes in my closet at night. Have a G19 that lives in a quick access safe that is bolted to bed frame, but when I go to sleep, I have a23 with light that goes on my bed stand.

On a slight side note, I modified my closet with an electronic combination lock recently.
    I only have two older teens at home who are well trained on gun safety and shoot with me all the time so as long as I am up and around don't lock the 23 or 43. When I do leave them in the house my 23 gets locked in my closet--I have a built in hidden cubby hole and an electronic lock on the door. So in an absolute emergency my son (14) or daughter (18) could kick in the hollow core core to access the pistol, but clearly they would have some splainin to do. Basically the closet lock keeps the children (and friends ) away from the gun, but allows my children, who are both proficient with my pistol, to access in an emergency situation.....but again, access leaves a bold footprint and cannot be accomplished discretely.

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I keep a gun on me, no matter how I'm dressed.

refugeepj and Ninjamamaseeta like this.
  10. Ninjamamaseeta

One of my issues is where to put it. I prefer to have mine with me at all times. I have a sticky holster and have been carrying mine around the house, holstered, but it's been a bit of an inconvenience so that got me wondering what tips I might be able to learn from the experiences of forum members. When you carry yours with 'floppy / soft' clothing like sweats, shorts, etc. do you use a holster or anything or just hand carry when you move from room to room?

Something has been telling me in the back of my mind that having firearms in the house would so me no good in an invasion if I'm watching TV downstairs and an intruder breaks a window to get into the house with all firearms locked up and unloaded. Leaving a loaded rirearm on a table with my husband isn't a problem for me but I also have family who visit frequently so it's not possible to stash loaded firearms throughout the house. I won't take a risk like that which leads me to only one option. To carry on my person. Difficult without a good belt and holster. I have an ankle holster but my preferred firearm is too big for it. :(

So I'm looking for ideas.

Thanks for your response! :)

11. pAZ Ron

pAZ Ron

I use my EDC around the house until/if I change to casual clothes like sweats with no belt. If I do that, then I switch to a smaller pocket carry gun. You need to have sweats or pj's that have pockets and a true pocket gun to do this comfortably. (I use a P380 or PM9 for this.) Then I still have full size gun bedside for nighttime HD.

Edit: I use Recluse OS pocket holster for this. OS stands for one-sided so it is thinner, but protects the trigger well and holds the gun securely. Look at Recluse website.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  12. Bruce M

Bruce M

When home whatever I was carrying goes onto an end table in the living room or a nightstand or into the closet depending on where it usually is at home. I have no children - if I did a lock box or the safe would be necessary unless the gun was under my immediate physical control.

13. Ninjamamaseeta

Hi PAZ Ron, I was reading your post when I made a mental note to ask you about the OS pocket holster then I saw your edit. :) I'll check it out! The sweats I'm wearing at the moment don't have any pockets in the front and there are 2 tiny back pockets (completely useless). :( I wear hoodies when I'm tinkering around at home so I have large front pockets that oughtta work. I appreciate the idea and will check out their site. Thanks!

pAZ Ron likes this.
  14. G29guy06

G29guy06

I stash guns around too....sometimes I'll put my G29 on the table (I have a small house so it's quickly accessible). I also have a PF9 which is great in shorts pocket or bathrobe pocket. My eyes are still pretty good so I don't need a light on me but I have my sure fire on the counter and a bright Ozark Trail light next to the front door for when I need to look into the woods/ mountains

15. Random

Random Banned

I swear that's the kind of statement that can ruin my whole night. Then I'm on google asking "has a dog ever shot a gun?". Next thing you know it's 4a.m. and I'm staring up at my ceiling fan wondering how many of those people lied. Maybe not the shotgun/toe lady, but definitely the dude in Arkansas.....

Oh, by the by https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...shoots-a-person-almost-every-year-in-america/

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

It's certainly possible, obviously. That's why I keep the gun in a holster (covered trigger guard), and in something. Our chair / love seat has a "center console".

17. Ninjamamaseeta

OMG, I'm ROFLMAO!! I'm sorry if anyone in that article was injured or killed. I didn't get that far in the reading. I only looked at the photo of that cute little puppy and wondered why his owner didn't teach him not to always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction! OMG, this is totally going to keep me up all night. Thanks. ;)

18. Ninjamamaseeta

Bucky, that's the reason I like the sticky when I'm just carrying my P30SK around the house. Safety off, in battery @10+1, spare mag... Never felt more secure in my own domicile and never realized how insecure our home was before having firearms in the house. Figured we needed a few of them and that I ought to learn how to shoot a handgun one evening when our motion sensor went off and we were both upstairs talking about our day. It turned out to be a false alarm, but we both thought, 'what if?' Now I don't have to wonder, except that quick trip upstairs to get a spoon for ice cream and I don't take my gun with me. Kinda creeps me out now and I wonder if others have had similar changes in their thinking before and after they started carrying. It's almost like leaving the house without a cell phone. I've only done so like twice say, 25 years or however long it's been since mobile devices became the thing to have.

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Usually either a Glock 26 or a S&W 642. Both of those have kydex holsters. The holster make/model is Alabama Holsters "offside." They have a website. Below is a pic of the holster, similar for the Glock. As you can see, it is compact. I wear it on my belt, and can transfer it to a pocket too. Sometimes I use a specifically design pocket holster (soft type), but more often use this transferred from IWB in leather belt, to sweatpant shorts, or to a bathrobe pocket, or to the bed. It never leaves my side and is always under my control. The trigger is covered, and the gun will not fall out of it. I also have an LCP in a smaller Alabama Holster, and can carry that similar.

A lot of this is attitude or commitment. If I get up and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the gun goes with me. Like I said it is never out of my control. I have a kid, and when he was less than 4, the only change was the Glock was unchambered. But since he was old enough to teach gun safety the Glock was chambered again. That kind of choice is up to a parent. I could settle for racking the slide, and knowing an accidental trigger pull under age 4 was not going off. Almost no GTr agrees with unchambered, but it was my responsibility with him. If I fell down and got unconscious, the gun wasn't a trigger pull from firing. Same if I napped on the couch. He wasn't grabbing guns at age 1, 2 or 3, but just in case, that is how I did it :)
    [​IMG]

20. grumpy1

grumpy1

When I get home and if I was CCW and I am not going out any more for the day my pistol still inside the single clip kydex holster goes into the Sentry digital pistol safe. I keep one under my bed and another under a sofa on the first floor in the room I am in most the time.