Home > Practical Tactics > Carry Issues > Even Some Gun Guys Don't Know You Can Carry In National Parks

Even Some Gun Guys Don't Know You Can Carry In National Parks

1. Was hiking in Yellowstone earlier this week and OCing in the back country like usual. This time I decided not to conceal when I got to the more visited areas like Mammoth Hot Springs and the Geyser Basin. A couple of people approached me and said if they had known it was legal to carry in national parks that they would have brought their firearms with them. So this is still not common knowledge in the community of firearms enthusiasts.

2. Nice!!!

Hell, I didn't know that.

Just OC, or CC without a permit?

3. I don't know many things.

Scratch one off the list today though.

4. My wife and I OCed in Glacier, several Asian tourists asked to take a picture with us.

5. its not clear cut. Backcountry is different than in the park buildings with federal employees. You have mind the signs.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/learn/management/upload/Firearms-in-IMRparks2-2010.pdf

6. Yeah it changed around 2010 i believe. Maybe it was 2012ish.

7. About the only thing Obama did right.

8. Agreed.

Surprised the hell out of me when he signed that legislation.

9. Just know the laws. Bear spray is the preferred defense against threatening wildlife these days. This 2010 law was a change set in place for ease of travel more than your self defense. I don’t get “gun-friendly” vibes at National Parks. Now, at adjacent forests...different story. Forests are dog-friendly and as long as you follow the rules and laws of the forest you are in...its much clearer as to when and where you can have a firearm. Many forests even have approved shooting ranges.
    I drive through parks and spend my time in the forests. Thats me. YMMV

10. Well, it is not an issue the MSM would be touting for months as GOOD NEWS.

11. Biden will kill it if elected.

12. Except inside buildings like visitor centers, ranger stations etc is still prohibited, like all Federal buildings.

13. Raising a dead horse....

Carry? Yes per the state laws that youre in.

except there are federal regulations pertaining to the facilities and offices.

From Yellowstone’s webpage:
    Firearms
    Federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in Yellowstone. Hunting and the discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone.

It is your responsibility to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering the park. Yellowstone encompasses parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho, and each state has different regulations: follow the links provided here to learn more.

Federal law prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park (such as visitor centers and government offices): those places are marked with signs at all public entrances.

Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions.”

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/management/lawsandpolicies.htm

If youre still in question, call the park ranger office, and ask for clarification.

For questions concerning state specific reciprocity:
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

for a good car safe to stow your firearm away for where you cannot carry:
    https://www.libertysafe.com/handgun-vaults.php

14. It was part of Obama’s agenda. :)

or it was a rider on a credit card law he really wanted so he signed it.

15. The only places I don't carry concealed are the places that I have to pass thru a metal detector. Just sayin'.

16. I always thought you could carry anywhere that didn't have metal detectors.

17. Well, technically, you can.

18. But in some places you may not.

19. Some guys know very little of the gun laws for carry throughout the U.S. Nothing new here.

20. Carry--Yes

Shoot-- No

21. I wanted to visit the cool water fountain and air-conditioned restroom at Cape Hatteras, but they were inside a Visitors' Station. So I had to settle for a plastic outhouse baking in the sun. They even had warning signs posted.

22. I wouldn't advise carrying on a military base or post. Or a VA clinic.

23. It actually passed under the Bush administration. Then held up by an activist judge. Obama traded “guns in parks“ for a credit card bill he wanted.

24. For the state of CT, the USCCA lists a "No." for "Can you carry a concealed firearm in state/national parks, state/national forests, and Wildlife Management Areas in Connecticut?"
    https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/ct-gun-laws/

Digging a little deeper, the document reference says that you can only carry a handgun for the purpose of hunting small game:
    "Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) regulations prohibit, with exceptions, hunting or carrying firearms or other weapons in any state park or forest (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 23-4-1(c)). In order to legally carry a handgun, a person must obtain a permit to carry (CGS § 29-28).

According to DEP, a person may legally possess a handgun in a state park or forest when carrying the handgun exclusively for hunting small game (e.g., rabbits, squirrels) or other authorized activities, such as for use at a firearms range or participation in a hunter education class. They may only do so at predetermined times in areas set aside by the DEP commissioner and posted for such purposes (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-66-2(d)). DEP says that what is permissible for hunters depends on the site and season.

Under DEP regulations, a person cannot use a handgun using centerfire ammunition to hunt on state-owned land. Handguns using ammunition larger than .22 caliber rimfire long rifle cartridges also are prohibited on state-owned land (Conn. Agencies Regs. § 26-66-2 (a))."

I'm not sure what to make of this....do I just telling them it's rabbit season?

25. Me too. More pro-2A than anything Trump has done.

26. So what, the point is Obama signed it. All politics is give and take.

Guess what president it was that actually banned guns in national parks to begin with? Reagan.

27. Well Bush signed the “guns in parks” legislation well before Barry.

Do you have a reference where Regan passed legislation to ban guns in national parks ? As I recall the FOPA didn’t.

28. Small caliber guns in bear country should not be carried. Wounded bear not fun.

29. So your better off leaving it at home if that’s all you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30. They aren't carried for shooting bears.

31. I was just at Yellowstone and hunt in Sheridan every year. Wyoming is an open carry state. You can carry openly without a permit in Yellowstone except in park buildings. Not sure I would advise walking around Old Faithful with your 44 on your side but you could legally do it. Be prepared to answer a few questions on your walk.

32. he did not give up anything. Bush signed the original legislation. A liberal judge held up enactment because “an environmental study” had not been performed.

33. Actually I did just that. Didn't answer any questions except from one guy who asked what I was carrying and a couple of people who regretted not taking their carry weapons with them because they didn't know you could legally carry in national parks. Most people don't notice, or if they do will not say anything.

34. Over the years more than a few critters have been 'poached' in Yellowstone. Notably in Gardener, MT. Bars on one side of the street, park on the other side. The temptation is just too great for 'hunters'! Say "Goodby to your guns etc."

35. That gives all gun guys a bad name. I stayed one night in Gardiner literally walking distance to the park entrance. There was a big bull elk outside my motel room who had corralled about 15 cows for the night's festivities.