Estes rocket launch help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Anyone have tips on how to get an Estes rocket engine to ignite?

I've had 3 failed tries. Seems like it is hooked up right with ignition wires pushed up all the way. And after the failure, when I pull the ignition wires out, they smoke when turned on to look at.

Just maybe the ignition wires don't get hot enough? Makes me want to put a blow torch under the rocket engine. Is there something more flamible to put in there, or a looseing of the hard powder, or some trick to get an engine to light?

2. Redhawk

Redhawk

In a pinch I have used cannon fuse. Worked every time.

3. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

Firecracker fuses.

4. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Make sure your igniter leads and/or roach clips aren't grounding out on the launch pad.

5. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

This, or to each other.

6. SPIN2010

SPIN2010 Searching ...

A little petroleum jelly on the igniter helps hold it in the engine. As stated ... watch the grounding of the launch controller (DC).

7. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Bigfoot enthusiast enthusiast

cannon fuse

........the igniter launch system was for the geeks when I was a kid

8. arclight610

arclight610

Sometimes changing the battery helps.

9. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Wow, has been 50 years since I played with Estes rockets. Make sure your batteries are good and the leads aren't grounding out on anything. We also used fuses sometimes but I think that's frowned upon today.

10. Blaster

Blaster Hunc tu caveto

It too has been a long time for me. I think I remember packing a little tissue paper in with the igniter to hold it in place and keep it in contact with the propellant. As mentioned earlier make sure your batteries are fresh and able to provide the juice needed.

11. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I don't think I ever had 3 in a row go bad. Making sure the wires don't touch anywhere until the very end of the fuse.

I've been think about getting a rocket setup for my kids. It's been 15+ years since we launched one I think.

12. RichJ

RichJ

Use a small (.22) brass cleaning brush to slightly scuff the inside of the ignitor hole.

The new Estees engines come with a little plastic ignitor plug to hold it firmly in place ; make sure you use one to ensure a good contact.

Use a fresh battery.

13. RichJ

RichJ

This reminds me of playing with these things as a kid.

We used to take the plastic nose cones and fins off of spent fireworks rockets and glue them on a plain Estes rocket engine. The cones were a perfect fit on a B or C class engine and because there was no weight to them at all, you could get a couple thousand feet out of them easy.

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Is the tissue to help ignite, or to hold it in place? These come with plastic plugs to hold it in place.

15. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I was wondering about scuffing the inside to get some loose powder to hopefully catch. I was thinking a small philips head rotated a couple times.

But I do also have a few .22 brass brushes laying around :rofl:

16. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

That's what we used as kids. We never could get the electric ignitors to work bath then, either.

17. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

This was my 6 year old's purchase. He gets allowance money if he is good all week, and not giving mom too much of a hard time when getting dressed and out for school, or taking a shower, or picking up, that sort of stuff.

5 bucks a week. Saved in a jar, guarded by his German Shepherd :)

Every once in a while we walk into a toy store or hobby shop, and he just loves to walk around for a couple hours looking at everything. He was looking at remote control speed boats for $250. No, you don't have that much money :)

Did have enough money for a remote control spider. But I told him the package says it won't work on grass or carpet.

As soon as he saw a rocket that also had a clear compartment to hold an action figure for the launch, that's what he wanted :) Soon found out, it had to be a pretty small action figure to fit in that 1" tube. So don't call the ATF, but I had to chop down the barrel of one of his plastic green army men, to turn him into a rocket-paratrooper :rofl:

18. vafish

vafish

Been a few years since I have launched Estes Rockets. But I still have a box of them in the basement.

Little confused by your first post.

Does the igniter actually burn when you push the button? ie is it burned in half when you pull it out of the rocket engine after an attempted launch?

If so you might just have some bad engines.

If the igniter is not burned, but burns when your push the button out of the engine you are shorting it out somewhere. Either the clips are touching each other or the metal plate on the launch pad or when you are inserting the igniter into the engine you are shorting our the wires.

I just dug my stuff out.

Haven't launched in at least 5 years, still had the same costco batteries in the launch controller.

When you hook up the launch controller to the igniter and put the safety key in the hole the "armed" light comes on brightly.

[​IMG]

Push the launch button and the igniter flares up.

[​IMG]

If that is working the and engines are not igniting then you need to buy another pack of engines.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

The igniter wires don't flare up, they just slowly smoke. Are they supposed to practically burst into a flame?

When at the launch pad, trying to launch, light went on when safety key put in, and then light off when button pushed, and then just a faint almost can't see it bit of smoke (or just imagination) slowly from the bottom of the rocket.

When taking the engine out of the rocket, and the ignition wires out, then test the wires just standing there, they smoke a little bit, but no flare of fire. And the coated stuff at the end of the ignition wire seems sort of partially burnt, but not completely to ashes.

Batteries were brand new Duracell. Maybe not strong enough battery current getting there? What should the ignition wires be doing?

20. vafish

vafish

[ame="http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n75/vafish/?action=view&current=VIDEO0033.mp4"]VIDEO0033.mp4 video by vafish - [email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid109.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn75%2Fvafish%[email protected]@[email protected]@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid109.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fn75%2Fvafish%2FVIDEO0033.mp4[/ame]