close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Essentials to Glocking

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kaonashi, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

Hopefully this is specific enough for this forum. I'm not yet a Glock owner (or a shooter for that matter) but I can't imagine that my first pistol won't be a Glock.

After lurking for about a month on the boards and doing some searching of the Valuable Info archives I've got some idea but I was wondering what the essential tools to have/use a handgun (for the sake of the thread rules specifically a Glock in this case)?

Here's what I've come up with so far.

1) The gun (duh!)
    2) Locking case for transport
    3) Trigger lock (seems to be necessary in most states)
    4) Rags or other cleaning cloths
    5) Lube
    6) Solvent
    7) A bore snake and/or a cleaning rod for cleaning the barrel
    8) Trustworthy ammo and a good supplier
    9) A good place to practice (range or a large isolated area owned by yourself or a friend)

In addition Connecticut, for some stupid reason, also requires you to have a carry permit or a certificate of eligiblity to own (but not to rent at a range or borrow), both of which take about 8 weeks to get. I didn't want to add that since that didn't seem like a universal requirement.

Did I miss anything and/or are any of those not absolutely necessary?

2. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member Silver Member

All reasonably good to have on hand. I'd add some Q-tips for cleaning and move "lube" down towards the bottom of the list. You definitely want to clean the gun and lube it SPARINGLY but it's not the most important component of your "kit bag".

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY&feature=player_embedded"]Glock Detail Strip And Reassembly (IN HD) - YouTube[/ame]

3. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

Can't believe I forgot Q-Tips. Thanks.

I didn't mean for the to necessarily be in any given order but that makes sense that lube should be lower on the list because Glocks can (if everything I've read is true) go ridiculous amount of time and shots without cleaning and/or relubing.

Interesting that you linked up that video. I've already watched that video, along with his field strip video (multiple times of the latter). I'm actually subscribed to Humans4Targets's Youtube channel because he seems to have some of the best and highest quality (both educational and video quality) videos out there.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. bentbiker

bentbiker

Eye and ear protection.
    Lube and Solvent can be one and the same -- any CLP or Frog Lube.
    Glock comes with cleaning rod and brush.
    Glock comes with case that can be locked with included cable lock.
    Targets.
    If you want quick access for SD at home, a small safe to keep it out of inquisitive hands.
    Glock tool.

5. truetopath

truetopath

Definitely eye and ear protection and if you're going to apply for the carry permit, a well made holster can't be overlooked. Also, I would grab a brass cleaning brush instead of the one that comes with the gun, they're only a couple bucks and I find they work better.

6. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

Any suggestions on type and/or brands for eyes and ears?
    I'm taking my basic safety course a week from Today (Friday) and eyes and ears will be provided for that and I figure I'll be just renting at the local range for the foreseeable future (probably at least a few months) where I'm pretty sure I can rent eyes ears so I can put off buying my own until at least a few months into range shooting or at the latest around the time I buy my first gun.

One complication I forgot to mention is that I wear eyeglasses which makes getting eye protection a little bit more complicated. Since I don't wear contacts at all it means I need something that can go over eye wear, although if I really get into shooting I'll probably eventually spring for prescription safety glasses.

I've seen a few suggestions posted from time to time on these boards, but it seems that everyone has their own opinions.

7. truetopath

truetopath

I would definitely spring for prescription safety glasses. I also don't wear contacts and haven't regretted for a minute buying the prescription safety glasses. It's always easier to hit a target you can see. As far as ear protection goes I just use foam ear buds and put muffs I got off amazon over them, seems to work for me.
    Happy shooting!

8. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

if your glasses have polycarbonate lenses, you're good to go with your regular eyeglasses at the range.

9. bentbiker

bentbiker

Almost all prescription glasses are made from polycarbonate. You are probably GTG.

Edit: dooga beat me.

10. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Don't forget:

1. Realistic expectations, a Glock is a man-made item and not immune to issues.

2. Even a Glock needs to be cleaned.

3. No matter what the "experts" say or do, don't run over your Glock with your car.

4. Shoot it and don't worry about scratches. It is just a gun, not the Mona Lisa.

5. Glocks are pretty good as they come, don't make it cheesy with "tacticool" parts.

11. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

12. TMNKWD

TMNKWD

I was you 12 months ago.

My suggestion? Spend money on ammo and throw a 1,000 rounds before you "upgrade" from stock. Run it stock for 1,000 rounds. Just about anything you'd like to upgrade too, I likely have - sitting in a box.

13. hawgrider

hawgrider

Definitely need lots and lots of ammo

14. ijacek

ijacek

Q-Tips, ammo, maybe a holster of some type, weapon mounted light (if gun will pull double duty for HD), ammo, maybe some spare magazines, and more ammo, night sights.

15. Numismatist

Numismatist 5-Stand!

Except when a brass comes back and makes a little ding in your prescription eyeglasses.:steamed:

16. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

That's what I'm afraid of. Better to spend money on goggles than spend $200 or so on brand. new lenses.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

Unfortunately my local range requires that you buy ammo from them for rentals (understandable) but I figure that one of the first things I do once I buy my own gun is to buy 1000 rounds from bulkammo.com or somewhere else. I plan to start with a 9mm (probably a G17) so at least it'll be relatively cheap.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

19. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

I know you think you want a 17 but the 19 is perfect. You really want a 19.

Here's a handy comparison between 3 gens and 3 sizes: Subcompact Gen 4, Compact Gen 3, and a Full size Gen 1 17 from '86.

[​IMG]

20. abq87120

abq87120

The best hearing protection out there for the money. True electronic noise canceling. Good long-term investment. You'll end up eventually buying one anyway. Start where you will finish:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331950893&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Howard Leight R-01526 Impact Sport Electronic Earmuff: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ShugcEeRL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ShugcEeRL[/ame]