Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had a pocket knife for as long as I can remember. Recently I've taken an interest in fixed blades and I'm looking for someone to help steer me in the right direction. We went down to GA to visit my girlfriends parents the other weekend and while there I got to slip into a new gun shop on the ritzy side of town. Held a few different knives but the ESEE4 seemed to really stand out to me. I'm willing to pay $100-150 on a quality knife so what do y'all suggest?

·
Anti-Federalist
23,538 Posts
I've had a pocket knife for as long as I can remember. Recently I've taken an interest in fixed blades and I'm looking for someone to help steer me in the right direction. We went down to GA to visit my girlfriends parents the other weekend and while there I got to slip into a new gun shop on the ritzy side of town. Held a few different knives but the ESEE4 seemed to really stand out to me. I'm willing to pay $100-150 on a quality knife so what do y'all suggest?
You won't go wrong with ESEE. I've got a couple Izula's, a 3 and the Junglas. All great knives and an unbeatable warranty.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
Not THAT great. I have an Esee-4 and it's a box queen. Overpriced for a 1095 blade, it should cost about 1/4 of what they charge, but my biggest gripe is the handle. I don't have huge hands, (medium glove size) but after a few minutes of work the tiny grip on the E-4 starts to chafe pretty bad. You can do MUCH better work, for MUCH longer, for MUCH cheaper with a Mora Robust.

Definitely pick up a Robust, they're stupid cheap and fantastic bush knives. If you want something burlier/more tacticool look into SwampRat. They are a way better knife for the same money.

·
Anti-Federalist
23,538 Posts
Not THAT great. I have an Esee-4 and it's a box queen. Overpriced for a 1095 blade, it should cost about 1/4 of what they charge, but my biggest gripe is the handle. I don't have huge hands, (medium glove size) but after a few minutes of work the tiny grip on the E-4 starts to chafe pretty bad. You can do MUCH better work, for MUCH longer, for MUCH cheaper with a Mora Robust.

Definitely pick up a Robust, they're stupid cheap and fantastic bush knives. If you want something burlier/more tacticool look into SwampRat. They are a way better knife for the same money.
Are you trying to say a sub $20 knife with a partial tang and a plastic handle is superior to a full tanged knife with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.

:faint:

I only ask because I have a Robust and while it's a fine knife it's really not even in close to the same class of knife. Now SR on the other hand is but they ship without a sheath. I've got a Rodent 4 as well and while the steel is a step up, the coating is thick as hell and doesn't lend it's self to smooth slicing and the $50 spent for a decent kydex sheath brings the price up.

:wavey:

ETA a comparison photo.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
Are you trying to say a sub $20 knife with a partial tang and a plastic handle is superior to a full tanged knife with a lifetime no questions asked warranty.
Actually, for 99% of the stuff real people do in the woods, yes. Sure, the Mora makes a lousy prybar, but it slices, carves, and does most knife tasks better than the Esee. You really seem to love the "lifetime warranty" I say "who cares?" I've NEVER broken a knife in my life. I use them to cut stuff. I use a prybar to pry stuff. Oh yeah, and the Mora is $20. :cool: I'll take 5.

Some people love to try an bash their knife through a log. It's easier and faster to just use a pocket saw.

As for SR sheaths, yeah, they don't ship with one, but any fool can bend a dollars worth of kydex and make one in half an hour. I just use a toaster oven and some random foam blocks.

·
Anti-Federalist
23,538 Posts
I don't like how the Mora flexes when it comes to carving. If I wanted a Scandi ground fillet knife I'd be all set :supergrin:

I get where you are coming from in regards to price v value comparison and a Mora will always be a leader in the arena.

For all around bush craft none of those would be my choice. I've got several BHK's that are one, far more aesthetic with natural materials and two, simply better for the task at hand. These two leap to mind first and foremost.

The ESEE touts itself as "survival" knife so I aimed my comments based on that. The ability to "bash a knife" through wet chunks of wood to find smaller drier chunks of wood on the inside falls within the intended scope of work. It was also what the OP sounded interested in and there is nothing wrong with the price point for the particular knife he chose given the reputation and build quality of the maker, and honestly you only offered him one direct comparison which cost more when considering he may want to carry it in something other than his pocket. You're simply going to be the minority voice on ESEE if history and experience are any indications.

The SR's are nice, even after shelling out another $50 for a sheath that doesn't look like this fool put it together. So I'd say you're on point with an apples to apples comparison with that one. Mine hasn't got a lot of use, I don't have any safe queens but not all of the knives I own have made it through enough trials to be considered a real asset or liability.

...oh nice sheaths BTW.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 3mil, a 6 as well as an izula and a candiru. I (obviously) like them - for instance, I prefer to Becker options. They are well made, but they are expensive, and they are carbon steel which is good and bad.

Another option that you may consider is Survive knives. They take a while to get, but are available in some outstanding "super steels" and I think the quality is excellent for the dollar. They also provide a number of options, so you can get exactly what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
I picked up this Esse 4 the other week.

My first Esee though I plan on picking up a few more. So far I've been happy with it and they seem to be good value for the $$$

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate all the suggestions and I'm thinking I'm gonna stay with ESEE. Was reading on their site earlier and found out they've got some copycats out there so the one in my amazon wish list is out now & I think I'm gonna just order from one of their suggested retailers. Would hate to spend $130 on a knife to later find out its a fake!

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
1. yes, there are fakes being sold on ebay. Those sellers have no shame.

2. If you buy an esee4, be prepared to replace the scales immediately.

3. consider buying the knife separately and not with the factory sheath. Buy an aftermarket sheath.

4. There is nothing wrong with a Condor or a Mora, but you have decided on an esee. Next time, consider 1. fallkniven f1, 2. Ontario Afghan or the narrower version which is the bushman or bushmaster (I think that it is the name). 3. consider the superb Ontario TFI. TFI is longer. Afghan is monstrously wider~:wow:

·
Anti-Federalist
23,538 Posts
There is no reason to replace the scales immediately. They are quality Micarta.

·
Registered
13,611 Posts
No. There weren't replaced through vanity. I had read the postings by people about buying the knife separate from the factory sheath (and was I glad I did!). I didn't understand why a number of people wrote that they replaced the factory scales until I had one in my hand. Somewhere, there is a set of factory scales sitting in the garage that I would like to sell.

Same manufacturer, different note. Before you buy the redone Condor machete that has a different set of Esee scales and an improved sheath, take a close look at the sheath. Unless you intend to carry the machete always in a directly upright position and never run or stumble, you will have retention problems. Do you want to carry it over a pack, across the back, upside down or at an angle, when running or stumbling, then you have to figure out how to add a retention system because the sheath was not designed with upper backing or restraining strap and is not a slip fit.

So, before you buy anything, read the reviews and notes about when and why people do upgrades. If you can live with original scales or sheaths, great.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
The E4 is a tough, no nonsense piece of equipment. It's also backed up by the best CS in the business. If you have large hands, though, the scales are a bit on the small side for long term work.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
While we're on the subject of ESEE... I'm really liking the izula folder as well. I lost a $250 benchmade at work a few months ago and afterwards swore I'd never waste that much $ on a folder for work and picked up a more reasonably priced 5.11 warn for duty knife. I've had no issues with it but if and when I get my hand on this izula folder it will defiantly be my new work knife

·
Badass Member
6,777 Posts
While we're on the subject of ESEE... I'm really liking the izula folder as well. I lost a $250 benchmade at work a few months ago and afterwards swore I'd never waste that much $ on a folder for work and picked up a more reasonably priced 5.11 warn for duty knife. I've had no issues with it but if and when I get my hand on this izula folder it will defiantly be my new work knife
That's a high dollar Benchmade.:wow:

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
I'm getting a knife for Xmas from my wife and I am seriously wanting the 4. I am torn between this and the Benchmade Sequel.

·
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
3,532 Posts
I'm getting a knife for Xmas from my wife and I am seriously wanting the 4. I am torn between this and the Benchmade Sequel.
As much as I'm not a fan of the Esee and as much as I love my Benchmades, the Sequel looks like crap. The inlays on aluminum just look really cheap no matter what quality the knife actually is.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
As much as I'm not a fan of the Esee and as much as I love my Benchmades, the Sequel looks like crap. The inlays on aluminum just look really cheap no matter what quality the knife actually is.
Thanks for the heads up. I've pretty much settled on a fixed blade. I can still get some more miles out of my Griptilian.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts