close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Equipment needs....?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by G23/40, Feb 20, 2005.

1. G23/40

G23/40 GOING HOT!!

I'm contemplating on going to a GSSF match but being a newbie to pistol competition,what equipment would I need to bring with me.
    I have a G-22c and G-23.Both are "box stock".
    I know I'll need eye/hearing protection.
    How much ammo?
    How many mags?
    Mag holder?
    Type of holster?(I have a WildBills Concealment for my G-23 I've used for years and a COM-TAC Kydex belt holster that will accomadate either the G23 or the G22c).Recommendations?
    A range bag for transporting said equipment?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    If you need more info from me before making recommendations,let me know.
    Thanks in advance.
    G23/40

2. T.F.H

T.F.H

Howdy G23

I shot my first match with a G17, range bag,I carried 200 rounds of ammo not shure howe much i used and five mags

It was a great time and the people were great and helpfull.

Todd;c

3. bruce282

bruce282

www.gssfonline.com is the place.

I've not yet shot my first GSSF match, but here are some answers for you.

You could possibly use 101 rounds to fire a match. The better you shoot the plates the less rounds.

I have 6 for my G17, I believe the max allowed is 10 rounds per magazine plus 1 in the gun. Some folks shoot more than 1 class and might have 10+ loaded magazines with them.

Unlike IDPA/IPSC no reloading is done "on the clock" and the pistol is in your hand pointed downrange when the timer starts. So you don't need either one. After you have completed a string of fire your pistol has to be in either a holster with the slide locked back, a gun rug, or range bag.

I plan on using my ISHOT bag.

I'm sure others will chime in with additionial information.

Good luck.

Bruce

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

You may use your G22C in Competition Category and your G23 in Amateur Civilian or Amateur Guardian (if you qualify). It's prudent to carry 150 rounds per entry, and it's convenient to have at least 4 magazines per entry. There is no drawing, so holsters and mag carriers are not necessary. You may wish to bring a lightweight folding chair or stool. Matches are held rain or shine. Maximum number of rounds fired is 107, minimum 81.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Add sunscreen if you come to Orlando next year! :)

6. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

7. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

I know this doesn't quite fit in w/ equipment needed, but just a friendly tip G23/40. After you finish shooting a stage, walk w/ the individual scoring your targets and "check" your score sheet. This past Sunday was my 1st GSSF match and on the second stage that I shot, I had an R/O score me for 5 misses, luckily I checked my score sheet (like a buddy told me too do) before I initialed it and he changed it automatically.:)

8. Rusty Phillips

Rusty Phillips Moderator Millennium Member

to that I would add knee high rubber boots and a poncho if you are planning on coming to Anderson SC

9. G23/40

G23/40 GOING HOT!!

Thanks everybody.
    It seems I'll need a couple more mags and a range bag(recommendations?).
    As far as the plates...how many shots am I allowed?;Q

G23/40

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are six 8-inch plates at eleven yards. You shoot four strings and are allowed to load and shoot up to eleven rounds to knock down the six plates.

11. Dino Rustler

Dino Rustler

G23/40
    Just a hint on the plates. Take your time. If you leave a plate up its +10 seconds. They are close but most people try to go way to fast on them.
    Go slow on the 5 to Glock. Remember a miss is +5 seconds. Really hard to make that up.
    Most of all.. go and have fun!!!!!!!!
    Its nice if you have 4 mags, but no big deal.

12. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

Isn't a miss +10 seconds?

13. MarcD

MarcD

Yes, misses are +10 sec, even harder than 5 sec to make up:)

MarcD

14. Rusty Phillips

to that I would add to go slow on the Glock M as well

think about it this way

a C adds 2 seconds to your time.....
    a D adds 5 seconds.....
    a miss is 10 seconds....

you can do a whole lot of aiming in 2,5, or 10 seconds

a HUGE number (basically anyone in B or C) of AmCiv competitors shoot faster than they should and end up with as much or more penalty time than raw time on the 5TG and GlockM

15. Fireglock

Not in Master Stock! :)

16. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

Three basic rules:
    Be Safe, Have FUN and meet new friends and fellow GT'ers!;f

Dan:cool:

17. Rusty Phillips

Fireglock - I dont want to get in a knock down drag out fight with anyone who is man enough to get a prince albert....

so Ill let you say whatever you want.

18. MarcD

MarcD

Jax was my first GSSF match and I took about 50 seconds off my time this weekend in Orlando by slowing down about 2-3 sec per string. Once I start putting shots on target then I'll start thinking about speed:) I guess there is just something about that buzzer in your ear that makes you want to go FAST!

MarcD

19. Fireglock

Me either! Besides I've been in trouble because of my sense of humor since before Lexington! ;) Actually I think it started going down hill at Conyers! :)

Slow, taking your time to aim and fire, is the better path in GSSF, but you can't go on vacation either.

20. FotoTomas

FotoTomas Pure Polymer

I try to shoot 3 catagories a match. Since one of them is the sub compact class I shoot the G26 for all of them.

I budget one 100 round Winchester Value pack of ammo per catagory with an extra 100 round box for the fun/practice match and reserve ammo if you need to do a reshoot.

I have 12 loaded magazines on hand when I start shooting. If it is slow I can run all three catagories at the plates in very quick time with preloaded magazines. For convenience you need 4 magazines per gun you shoot. It is possible to make do with the two you get with the gun but then you must reload one or both depending on the stage.

I do not have a lot of time or access to practice the three GSSF courses of fire. As a result I try to shoot the warm up/side matches to get in the groove first. I also know that I tend to shoot better after each catagory. As a result the first catagory I shoot is either Competition or Master Stock. These catagories have some really good shooters and the prize winnings are slim. As such I do not expect to win and use this as a warmup. Sub Compact is next and finaly the Am Guardian catagory. Since the AM Civilian/Guardian catagory has the better spreads of prize winners and I routinely shoot above the B class I save this catagory for last. I tend to shoot my best times on the third catagory and it helps me stay in the money.

As mentioned above fast is fine but accuracy is where it's at. I RO'd several shooters on the GLOCK M that were fast and efficient. The 20 yard targets however were full of D's amd M's. The time it takes to aim is worth the time you save with good hits. Going slow is "faster" than going fast. Sounds funny but it is true. Someone in another thread called it "Bullseye with a clock". Very appropriate.

Holsters are unnecessary but convenient if campaigning only one pistol. If you plan to shoot multiple guns then a range bag is a better option. Any bag will do it it carries what you need. I used a simple tool bag to carry the extra mags and bullets with my pistol holstered. A $9.96 Wal*Mart gym bag served well for range bag duties for a season when I was shooting several pistols. I currently use a camera bag and gun rugs for packing extra guns.

Lat item I have is a small folding stool I can carry over the shoulder. It will double as a range bag if needed. There will be times when having a place to park the rear end will be a blessing.

If you think you might see Fireglock at a match and engage him in conversation then a small bottle of aspirin or Advil might come in handy! ;f