Glock Talk banner

EOtech running again

580 8
A family friend who served in the Marine Corps during the Iraq War gifted me this sight after his 8 year career with the Corp ended.
This one was mounted on his M4.
I ran it on an S/W MP .22 for several years, but the rifle then set in my gun cabinet, unused and unloved for several more.
When I pulled it out one day, the dot was gone. I figured the batteries needed replacement, and when I pulled the cover discovered they had corroded.
Popped in new batteries, but the sight did not light up.
Fast forward and I decided to give it another go. Watched a you tube video, and then cleaned the battery housing and contacts with alcohol. Popped new batteries in it and the red dot was back.
Wood Glove Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Tried to get a photo looking through the sight but the flash of the phone's camera blotted it out. Here it is sitting on my bench.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
You sure can... because the AA batteries slide back and forth under the recoil of every shot and eventually snap the battery compartment springs. Been there, done that.
No parts available for older versions.
Eotech said if I send the old one in they would send a new one for half price.
I keep it working by cleaning and adjusting the springs.
I it craters I may make the trade.

Attachments

· I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.
3,439 Posts
No parts available for older versions.
Eotech said if I send the old one in they would send a new one for half price.
I keep it working by cleaning and adjusting the springs.
I it craters I may make the trade.
Interesting. Brownells has factory replacement battery compartments for pre-2009 512s and 552s in stock (although I wonder what's different with the post-2009 models).

PRE-2009 512/552 BATTERY COMPARTMENT, AA-BATTERIES : EOTECH PRE-2009 512/552 BATTERY COMPARTMENT, AA BATTERIES | Brownells

· MacGyver
10,795 Posts
It's just refreshing the spacer foam to have positive contact with the springs, and minimize the movement under recoil. Not rocket science. That is a downside with the 512 - the orientation of the batteries causes them to move back and forth on the contacts. Poor older design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts