EOTech on Patrol Rifles

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gombey, Oct 18, 2015.

1. collim1

collim1

We have a couple of guys at work who claim their sights are rock solid and have no plans of replacing them. Some of these are department issued. I gave our SWAT/training Sgt a heads up about the Eotech problems and he told the guys to check theirs over and gave them the option to turn them in for something different, but made no mandate to replace them.

2. pgg00

pgg00

I would have happily kept mine. A whiny detective with admin aspirations went crying to the chief saying he kept failing qualifications because his eotech was obviously bad. (He can't shoot worth a crap anyways) and the chief banned them for us

3. collim1

collim1

I do not necessarily agree with the mandate to stop using them across the board. Had mine not had issues I would have likely kept using it. I would've taken it to the range and shot it under several different conditions if possible. I would've tried to re-create A couple of different temperature extremes and I would've checked at zero very closely but had it continued to work I certainly would not of replaced it.

4. collim1

collim1

Qualified with the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight yesterday. Shot a 100 no problem. I had the fine aperture sighted in at 50 yards which gives the ghost ring an odd zero that never crosses the line of sight, but is fine for 25 yards and in. I generally use the large ap for indoors and the fine ap for everything else.

The ghost ring is almost a 100 yard zero but stays below the line of sight. With the huge groups you shoot with such a large peep at 100 yards its hard to pin point exactly what zero it is. Up close it shoots a couple inches low but the grouping is less exaggerated and acceptable for indoors and CQB with both eyes open.

I don't miss the red dot for multiple reasons. Had three guys at quals yesterday shooting red dots that had problems. Two had dead batteries, and one missed all of his shots past 50 yards way left because his sight did not hold zero. When he got close enough to see his hits he switched to his irons. Two were Eotechs and one was a Vortex (which I know nothing about).

Exactly the kind of stuff that caused me to ditch the RDS and go irons. Practice practice practice.

Looks like Eotech is going to continue to sell their sights as is, but their manual and website has changed. They are forthcoming about the parallax and zero change with temperature, and also tell you that a dimming or partially missing reticle requires sending the unit in for maintenance.

http://www.eotechinc.com/hws-service-and-support/faq

http://www.eotechinc.com/dear-valued-eotech-customer

They were certainly not that forthcoming when I was researching sights a couple of years ago.

5. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

I certainly didn't expect that. Thank You for bringing it to our attention.

My PRO, Micro T-1, and CompM4s also thank you.

6. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Switched to aim point ages ago and haven't looked back..

7. SAR

SAR CLM

Be careful what you wish for. What will his excuse be next time when he no longer has the Eotech optics to blame?

On another note, my Eotech is long gone, and I've completed a successful qualification with my Aimpoint Comp M4. I thought I'd miss the wide field of view, but I didn't even notice.

8. pgg00

pgg00

I'm sure it will be the guns fault. Or his panties shifted somehow