EOTech on Patrol Rifles

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gombey, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Yeah, but depending on the office the M4s are few and far between. :steamed:

I'm hoping to get the next 11" M4 that shows up, by hook or by crook. :tbo:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  2. ZGXtreme

ZGXtreme

The liability aspect of using an optic with such publicly made issues has admin pulling authorization for their use to avoid any legal issues.

3. lens

lens

Anyone in doubt should read the entire 40 page lawsuit. They admit that NONE of the sights meet the specs advertised and parallax drifted 12MOA at 32F and 20MOA at 5F, plus don't go back to zero when back at zeroed temperature. My EOTech went back for a full refund 2 days ago, even as a range gun that's unacceptable for an expensive sight.

4. collim1

collim1

I read it and have changed my tune. I also discovered that my unit has leaked it nitrogen out.

I just filled out and submitted a refund request for mine. This is total BS.

Guess I'll be carrying my shotgun for in the car for a few weeks until I can get to the range and zero my irons.

I have an Aimpoint Pro laying around not doing much, but at this point good old reliable carry handle sights are sounding like a wise choice.

5. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

I was about to reply to your first post, then I saw this.

Yeah, there is a ton of liability by continuing to have these in service while there are so many unknowns on the actual causes of failure and no real diagnosis or repair campaign from L-3.

We have 160+ cops, and a LOT of agency owned and officer owned EOTechs. I'm probably going to push to have all models decertified for use here. Some folks bought them and will balk at having to replace them if they don't "see a problem" with them. Problem is, these same people keep the weapon cased all year until it is time to inspect or qual and never shoot it. And when the tone alert drops, and they deploy it after having not touched it for 8 months, and the zero is off 18 inches at 100m, that is a recipe for you know what!

I'm getting a Trijicon MRO and RMR to replace my EXPS3-0 and MRDS.

6. collim1

collim1

I have a Pro, but have never really warmed up to it for some reason. I have been looking at the Trijicon Reflex, but it's a sight I will not be able to put hands on before purchasing. No one in my area carries them in stock so it will be a blind internet purchase.

Like I said, I might just go back to rocking the carry handle sight zeroed at 50 yards. Then my only electronic on the gun will be the Surefire light.

7. Cochese

MRO is to the Reflex, what the Micro is to the Pro/Comps. Are you a Firearms Instructor? Under $400!!!

8. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

9. collim1

collim1

No, not a firearms instructor.

This hasn't really sunk in yet. I am in no hurry to replace it with anything. I ran irons for a long time before going with an optic, I can go back and not feel disadvantaged.

I ride a bike now anyway. A rifle is not part of my day to day routine anymore.

Cochese likes this.
  10. Cochese

Copy that. Same here when its not 11F lol.

11. texmex

texmex

All the Eotechs have been removed and mailed back. As a temporary replacement, we are issuing toilet paper tubes with duck tape mounts. For long range, we use paper towel tubes. I guess we will use the tube from the gift wrap paper if we get a Barrett.

Rusty Gun, EdTracker, Cochese and 2 others like this.
  12. collim1

collim1

Paperwork is submitted, waiting on my return authorization.

I think I am just going to save the money and run the carry handle sight zeroed at 50 yards.

Cochese likes this.
  13. Cochese

Nothing wrong with that.

The pool gun in my CVPI is a POS Bushy XM15 with an A2 fixed carry handle upper zeroed at 50. No light, GI sling, and dare I say as reliable as the day is long.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  14. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

Been think about that too. Damn shame, as I really like my Eotech.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

15. collim1

collim1

I put the Aimppoint PRO on there. Going to have to wait until I get the range as its just bore sighted at this point. Seems silly to have an Aimpoint in the house and not have it mounted to anything. I will put the carry handle on the 20" range only gun, it seems more fitting for the carry handle sight anyway.

I have nothing against the Aimpoint, I just always trained with the Eotech and that is what my muscle memory is used to.

I do like that the Aimpoint mounted farther forward on the rail than the Eotech. I have it as far forward as it can go and still keep the entire mount on the rail.

I still have good field of vision with both eyes open, and it co witnesses perfectly with my BUIS just as before.

Just feels like a monstrosity of a sight compared to the Eotech. Guess time will tell.

Can y'all tell I am off work and bored out of my mind? Haha.

The Colt 6920 is on top. Her big sister is just a play gun, a RRA 20". The RRA has been a very fun little gun at the range and has considerably more rounds down range than the Colt.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cochese and nitesite10mm like this.
  16. Cochese

17. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Anyone have any updates on getting their refund? I tried getting in touch with L3 Eotech for the last few days and no one is answering the phones, plus the return authorization form isn't listed on the website anymore.

Anyone having similar issues?

18. VPD4327

VPD4327

I got an email saying my return request was approved. It took 2 days...but that was a few weeks ago. I shipped it back-waiting on check. I replaced it with another PRO. The battery life is insane:banana:. The PRO I already owned has been on for over 2 years now (two clicks down from the brightest). We still have eotechs on all the dept rifles. I would imagine since we got them on a grant, the return process will be intensive as I think we have 500+.

19. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8

I'd like to dump my Eotech, but I'm afraid I'll send it back then the business will go belly up. Then I'd be short a sight and $400 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

nitesite10mm likes this.
  20. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

I did read a post on another thread here on GT where the comment was that L-3 isn't answering phones and the claim form is no longer on their website. I sure hope this is not going to be long-term.