EOTech on Patrol Rifles

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Gombey, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Gombey

Gombey

Didn't see this posted.

http://soldiersystems.net/2015/09/3...h-enhanced-combat-optical-sights-plus-goings/

Seems the operational temps were fudged a little. The zero drifted as much as 4MOA at 122 degrees Fahrenheit. I know some of you guys patrol in areas that get stupid hot.

I'm not bashing the company. Never owned an EOTech, just something I saw posted on another forum. I thought I'd be in the wrong not to share here were we use rifles for more than just knocking down steel.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  2. CAcop

CAcop

I can see a parked car getting that hot.

I have never been thrilled with our EOTECHS but the decision to go with them happened 5 years before I became an instructor and was made by a guy who would become our worst chief.

fastbolt, CBennett and TBO like this.

3. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

I prefer aimpoint to eotech for patrol for the following reasons;

1. The ability to turn the aimpoint on at the beginning of your shift, toss it in your rack or case, and not worry about it auto shutting off. The eotech would shut off after 8 hours had a worse battery life to begin with and when you turned it back on, you had to readjust it back to desired brightness.

2. I feel the 2MOA dot is easier to focus and aim than the ginormous reticule of the eotech. That's completely a personal preference, as I know guys prefer it..

The above is based on about a year with the eotech 512.a65 and about 2 years with the aimpoint PRO..

4. collim1

collim1

I like the EOtech myself. I know for a fact a car parked in the summer in my area will heat to over 120.

Never been a problem thus far. We qualify with it twice a year and it always shoots to where it should.

msu_grad_121 likes this.
  5. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

I'm kind of surprised by this myself. I've been running an Eotech on my work rifle for coming up on 2 years with no problems. Granted, it now lives in the trunk of our assigned unmarked car, but it's always been tough as nails and shot to point of aim.

The only issue I've ever had was that it fell off during a training class while we were conducting an officer rescue drill. Complete user error, and totally my fault for not checking the tightness of the mount. Can't hold that against the equipment.

6. x_out86

x_out86

I've run the same eotech for about 4 years and have no complaints. It stays in my take home all the time, summer or winter. I've never had issue with the zero. I think one time I had to adjust the windage at a fall qual by 2 or 3 clicks and that was after at least a year of patrol use.

7. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

I've got both, an Eotech and an Aimpoint. I've run both on patrol rifles. I like both, because they've both been reliable and good optics. I still fail to see what this stupid "versus" debate is all about.

On a side note, the only failure I've had on either was a battery going dead on my Aimpoint during an entry. Not the optics fault...

Sent from my mobile communication device...

8. ray9898

ray9898

I absolutely despise Eotechs....selling it and getting an Aimpoint PRO was the best thing I ever did.

Mayhem like Me likes this.
  9. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Not surprised. I prefer Aimpoints and have quite few. I like being able to simply leave the Comp M4 on my patrol rifle on all the time. Don't have to worry about it shutting off during a 12 hour shift or the batteries going out.

The reticle is cool on EOTech at first, but other issues just didn't do it for me. It did not like being mounted on an AR308 either.

10. Chowser

Chowser

Just sent my XPS back for a refund. My new H-1 is very nice. The battery in my XPS lasted over a year. I hardly used it.

11. collim1

collim1

Man, when I started in LE the EOtech was about the only game in town, and highly coveted. I remember seeing all the secret squirrels and SWAT with their eotechs back when us mere mortals weren't allowed to dream about hitting the street with a rifle.

I find these reports very interesting and not consistent with my experience or the experience of our guys at work with dozens of Eotechs over the last 12 or so years.

I own a Aimpoint Pro and am quite fond of it. It lives on a range only gun and has been a good sight. There are advantages and disadvantages to both I guess.

I for one will be keeping my EOtech unless its reliability changes.

I have never had the zero wander more than a MOA or two in between quals and have found it to hold zero through several removals and remounts. I change the batteries out every year just to be safe and have never had a dead sight when I needed it.

12. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Farmer, House Sitter and Cook

I never cared for the somewhat slow and exasperating pushbutton ON/brightness selection of the EoTech, and my XPS-2 while usually turned off always went dead batt before a year was over. Also didn't like that mine shut off automatically either 4- or 8-hours into my 12-hour shift. But I liked the 65-MOA circle dot for close quarters shooting. Mine was great at the range. Elsewhere not so much.

Don't own that XPS-2 any more. But I now have three Aimpoints (T-1, a PRO and a Comp M4s) all bought NIB out-of-pocket not issued. I have much more confidence in them individually and as a group.

13. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

Yesterday the EOTechs were pulled off of our M4s and Aimpoint Micro T-1s were issued out.

I like the EOTech reticle but will be fine with the 2MOA Aimpoint reticle.

I've been promised one of the next M4s. I'm not holding my breath. Our FIs have been told that none are available.

nitesite10mm likes this.
  14. nitesit(+ an e)

I sure wish my T-1 was issued. You are very fortunate to be issued such fine hardware.

So the EoTech got pulled and a Micro T-1 got slapped on, when do you zero those guns/optics?

15. collim1

collim1

My agency only issues new guns or optics at the range. They are zeroed/qualified with immediately after issue. My new railed P226 sat on the Captains desk for months before our scheduled range day when it was issued to me.

16. Newcop761

Newcop761 CLM

They were issued Thursday and zeroed/qualified Friday.

17. nitesit(+ an e)

The only way to do it.

18. ZGXtreme

ZGXtreme

They've been pulled from rifles at three agencies thus far in the OKC metro with ours most likely around the corner. Also will be prohibited for use on personally owned duty rifles due to legal liability. I'll miss mine.

19. collim1

collim1

Seems extreme to me if a sight has proven itself there is no reason to take it out of service.

20. mntrpr

mntrpr

You guys hiring????? :supergrin: