close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Eotech, aimpoint ?'s

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by ncvarmint, Mar 27, 2010.

1. ncvarmint

ncvarmint

Hello all, I am going to go with one of these for my build. I am looking at the eotech 512, or the aimpoint Comp C3, i have up to $500 to spend, but $400 would be better. My main question is does the a2 front sight get on your nerves when looking thru one of the 2 optics i mentioned. Should i get a riser a do a lower 1/3 co witness, or should i do a flip up sight. Is it different looking thru an aimpoint than an eotech. I had an eotech 512 a few years ago but sold it when i sold the rifle, and i liked it, but also looking into the aimpoints

thanks for all help

trevor

2. phxfa

phxfa

Its all personal taste but Id get the folding front sight, I run Aimpoints with a 2moa dot but thats me. I own multiple Aimpoints but only 1 EOtech

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

I've have an Aimpoint and an EOTecs XSP, the new model EOTech is the shiznits!

4. ncvarmint

ncvarmint

Do you mean the xps?

trevor

5. SnowOxx

SnowOxx

I actually have the comp C3 on my Stag 2t. I love it. My bro has an Eotech (Forgot the model number) and for some reason the eotech bothered me since it is a square shaped sight instead of the normal circle like a rifle scope, etc. If you go aimpoint you'll love the CompC3, it does everything else the higher end ones do, but you just can go down 200ft underwater and change the MOA size. I put on the rubber cover, and flip up covers (which you have to buy separate from each other, lame) Here is a picture of it.

[​IMG]

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Yep,.....thanks for the correction! :rofl:

I have the XPS2-2, love it!

[​IMG]

7. ncvarmint

ncvarmint

Why does it have to be so hard to choose. LOL

trevor

8. SnowOxx

SnowOxx

Best thing to do is try both brands out and see which you like more. I was lucky enough to try them on the same gun.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Either is a great choice,.......but as SnowOxx stated, it would be best to try both.

10. kgain673

kgain673

I have a flip up front sight, but i prefer to keep it in the up position when shooting. It does not get in the way at all. They are both good optics, what ever one you can get for a fair price will serve you well. But make sure you like the reticles before you buy. By the way aimpoints have an outstanding battery life.

11. Chuck TX

Chuck TX CLM

Different strokes for different folks. Best to see which setup you like first hand if possible.

I prefer Aimpoint, lower 1/3, and fixed front sights. The lower 1/3 setup allows one to look thru the scope easier at different positions more comfortably, at least for me. A fixed front sight isn't really an issue if your doing a 1/3 co-witness, you don't really notice it. I'd rather have it up all the time, so that if I have to use the irons it's already set to go, just flip up the rear sight and shoot.

Aimpoint vs. EOTEch is a whole 'nother thing. I prefer aimpoints for several reasons. Two biggest being battery life, and the fact that EO's had a few problems for me, especially when I'd slap it on an AR10 carbine. Didn't hold zero, wouldn't stay on. Some folks have never had those problems with EO's though, so who knows. The newer EOTechs may have rectified those issues.

12. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

For red dot sights I recommend the Aimpoint T1 micro. I prefer not to have a fixed front sight while running optics.
    pat

13. ncvarmint

ncvarmint

I like it but cant afford it

trevor

14. Tomac

Tomac

The Eotech 517 gives you a 1/3 cowitness, uses the same AA batteries as the 512 and has the control buttons on the side so using BUIS or a magnifier doesn't interfere.
    Tomac
    STG-556 w/E4 optic rail, Eotech 517, Magpul MBUS, Levang compensator & 9" accessory rail w/Fenix TK20 taclight:
    [​IMG]

15. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

And you brag about this awesomeness on a thread about sights...:upeyes:
    Weird.

16. Tomac

Tomac

Nope, showing that I have personal experience w/the 517 on my STG's as I have personal experience w/the other optics shown below. I invariably get questions as to the other items on my STG's so I added them to the description to save time.
    Tomac
    Eotech 512:
    [​IMG]
    Aimpoint CompM4:
    [​IMG]
    Trijicon RX30:
    [​IMG]
    Not shown: Aimpoint CS & Micro T1.

17. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

I prefer Aimpoints to Eotechs for reliability but I don't see anything wrong with Tomac's set up. Personally I prefer low power vairaible scopes like the Swarovski z6i or the Trijicon TR24 Accupoint. I also like an ACOG backed up by a Aimpoint T1 in an off set mount.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The MSAR and Aug have some challenges when it comes to mounting back up iron sights. It appears that Tomac did the best he could with what he had. I believe the ACOG with a back up Aimpoint T1 set up would be ideal on the AUG/MSAR type rifle. With a back up optic there is no need for irons.

pat

18. GreyEclipse

GreyEclipse TheGreyEclipse

lol, my comment was taken wrongly.

I was actually complimenting Tomac.

19. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

How about the H1 its about 100 bucks less and its nearly as good just don't go diving with it.
    Pat

20. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Sorry I miss understood you.
    Pat