close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Entitlement ......?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dango, Oct 14, 2012.

1. frizz

frizz

Of course it happens. But as the general rule, it isn't that easy. I base MY view on knowing three people who work for SS; both of them are sickened by undeserving people who get disability.

They don't much care for clearly deserving people to be denied.

How about, unless you don't want to say where you live, you say which lawyers all but guarantee approval?

2. boomhower

boomhower

I agree. My father in law had to fight tooth and nail. He worked in a factory all his life and has a degenerative back disease. He can't work without sever pain. He was denied once and went on for three years. Filled again and after a year on long term disability through his work and fighting the system he finally got disability, and backpay for being wrongfully denied the first time. He worked his whole life, paid into the system, and couldn't get it when he needed it. Now you have these idiots who never paid a nickel into the system living their whole lives off of it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012

3. AZson

AZson

SS is not an entitlement, we have paid for it.

4. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

5. muscogee

muscogee

Your claim does not match what the man who lives there said. You're an elitists. You have no idea how the middle class and working class people in the U.S. and Germany live. What's good for you isn't necessarily good for them. How many times have you been admitted to the hospital in the past few years? Probably none.

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

The social security administration considers social security an entitlement.

So does congress - they wrote the law.

7. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

When I needed a doctor in Germany, I was actually pretty luck. I got to cut in line and was seen immediately. Why? Because I worked with the doctors and hospital. I was able to get seen within minutes when there was a month wait for non-emergency treatment at the same hospital.

Mine wouldn't have been an "emergency" and likely a German would not have even been able to get into the doctor. (It was a bad sinus infection, and getting into a doctor for those is very difficult because Europe severely limits anti-biotics).

8. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Wrong. You paid for someone else's.

9. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

Is that best you have? Instead of sulking about why someone wasnt giving me my share, I decided to do something about it. Maybe you should try that and you wouldnt be so upset at the world...

10. muscogee

muscogee

Like I said, an elitists. You get to cut in line ahead of the peasants. You're entitled to it because you're such a great guy.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  11. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Exactly.

You folks bashing the .mil need to read this and if it doesn't make sense, read it again.

12. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

People who pay their own way SHOULD get to cut in line ahead of the peasants.

13. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

And the flight attendants "gave" me an ice cream sundae on flight Friday too. I am entitled to it BECAUSE I PAID FOR IT.

You really dont seem to get that concept. Try it one day. Pay for what you want. If you want more, figure out a way to pay it. Its an amazing system. If you want something, earn it instead of whining about why other people get ice cream and you get none.

I was much happier after the ice cream. I do however, wish that United had an espresso machine on the plane like Swiss Airlines does. Actually, I wish the United planes were as nice as Swiss. But, again, if I want that,I should quit whining and fly Swiss (of course i would also have to go where Swiss flies).

14. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Low wages? I was making $54,000 a year after taxes as a 4 year E5 in Hawaii (With BAH and FSA)

Low benefits? Sure, I was a Marine so our BAS (battalion aid station) was practically a condemned building. But I had four years of completely free medical and dental and eye care. Completely 100% cost free. I knew girls who got breast augmentations on the military's dime. Guy's who've had lasik. All sorts of elected procedures. Doesn't sound like low benefits to me.

Have you looked at how unsustainable the GI Bill is? The Post 9/11 GI Bill? That $1200 I paid (Which pissed me off, because they switched GI Bills 1/2 way through my enlistment and now the new guys dont pay) is a mere 1% of what I am currently ENTITLED to.

For 4 years of service I now get:

5 years of free VA healthcare (I served in a combat zone)
    36 months of free tuition
    36 months of BAH at the E5 w/ dependents rate
    36 months of GI Bill "Kicker" payments

Comes out to $115,000+ just in educational benefits (Not including the healthcare)

The only reason the damn GI Bill was made in the first place was to prevent another catastrophe with what happened after WWI and the Bonus Army. FDR saw 12,000,000 GIs coming home soon and needed to offer them something in order to prevent massive unemployment or riots.

But sure, go ahead and keep saying our vets "Deserve" this.

The only thing we're getting is more debt and an army full of Jamal's claiming "Nah brah, I don't give a damn about my country. I just needed college money"

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  15. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I have much less problem paying someone $115k in education benefits for serving our country than I do paying $1M to keep someone old mother alive another two months.

At least one is an investment in society.

16. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

I'm not disagreeing with this at all. I would gladly pay vets money over Maliks and Sheniqua's raising babies.

....but my point is that they are both unsustainable.

We can't just keep giving out taxpayers money like it grows on trees.

17. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

A surgeon buddy of mine talks about how families tell them "Do whatever you have to do to keep grandma alive". Of course they say this, someone else has to pay for it. As he calls it, "Dialyzing a dead woman".

He says that he often refuses and tells them to find another surgeon. The inevitably do.

18. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I think the military would be sustainable without the rest.

19. Z71bill

Z71bill

Just about every person that gets government cash - and it does not matter if it is a paycheck or food stamps or a free mobility scooter --

THEY THINK THEY DESERVE IT.

The REAL problem is - we have a system that makes it next to impossible for our elected officials to cut any of the spending programs.

Every entitlement program has become sacred -

You can't reduce SS or medicare - or you hate old people

You can't cut military entitlements because then you hate the military

You can't cut student loans - because who could be against education

You can't cut food stamps - or you hate "starving people"

The one thread all of these entitlement programs have in common is they have entrenched support from the people that are GETTING the checks - and they WANT THE CASH - and if the elected representatives want to get reelected they must continue to buy the votes.

Something has got to change - unless we want to have a complete financial collapse.

Just think - in the year 2000 the federal government spent $1.6 trillion dollars

In 2012 they spent $3.8 trillion.

Taxes collected went from $1.7 trillion in 2000 to $2.5 trillion in 2012.

If you can't look at these numbers and tell that we have a spending problem then you are not trying very hard.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  20. series1811

series1811 Enforcerator. CLM

Sometimes, I think that that is the only thing that will cause our spending to change.