Entire Cub Scout Pack makes Eagle 12 years later

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FillYerHands, Mar 29, 2010.

1. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

I was in the Scouts from Cub Scouts through age 16, and I enjoyed every minute of it. Life circumstances intervened and I never got near Eagle. Here is a story from Cobb County, GA, that I found that is amazing to me.

http://mdjonline.com/bookmark/6794884

2. Critias

Critias Freelancer CLM

Good on them. It's great that they were all able to stay together, help each other out, and provide some focus and discipline for one another -- encouragement to stick it out and finish up. They'll all be glad of it, for the rest of their lives!

An awful lot of fellas hit 16, and get distracted by lipstick and gasoline.

3. schild

schild

4. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Congratulations guys.

OTOH, their troop wasn't anything at all like my scout troop.

"The eight young men have experienced a number of Scouting adventures over the years together, from hiking the Appalachian Trail, biking on Cape Cod, Mass., and snorkeling in Florida, to their most recent outing, a sailing trip to the Bahamas."

5. blackjack

blackjack

Any young parent of a boy that wants to succeed in making it to Eagle need to read and heed the quote above. This information directly parallels my experience as a Scoutmaster and parent of an Eagle Scout. Every one of the boys that I was privileged to guide on that path became successful because of parent involvement. I'm not saying it can't be done or hasn't been done previously -- I simply know that the odds go up considerably when parents are there to really be parents.

Right after parent involvement comes an active Scout Troop with events that challenge the boys and provide growth experiences. Put the two elements together with strong, trained Scoutmasters and a supportive Troop Committee -- there is nothing that can't be accomplished to make the troop go and grow.

This is a unique accomplishment for this group of young men. I wish them the best in the future and know that they have the tools to succeed.

6. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

That is GREAT news.
    Those kids have all learned from example on scouting and (I like to think) good parenting, because their moms and dads also earned their Eagles that night.
    That is the future of this country that I want to see unfold. That I enjoy seeing unfold.

7. JohnBT

JohnBT NRA Benefactor

Come to think of it, my scout uniform pants had a button fly. As in no zipper, but buttons.

Yeah, I'm old. ;)

8. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

Now you see why I quit at 16. :embarassed:

9. tbhracing

tbhracing Senior Member

GREAT STORY! Thank you!!

10. major

major Rejected member

Great story. It is extremely difficult for anyone to start in Cub Scouts and make it all the way to Eagle.......but for an entire patrol to do it is incredible. I doubt this has happened anywhere before.

11. SP-FIN

SP-FIN

"...officially became Eagle Scouts during a ceremony at Mt. Bethel United Methodist Church."

Why do they have the ceremony in a church?

12. BarkinDog

BarkinDog Millennium Member

Could be their usual meeting place. When I was in the scouts, a local church let us hold our meetings there.

13. Wulfgang

Wulfgang

[It looks like I was composing my response when BarkinDog replied before me.]

If it is similar to my scouting experience, the ceremony was at a local church, because the church provided the meeting place for the Boy Scout troop.

Think about it. How many places are there for a group of boys to meet every week in a local neighborhood?

In my home town, we had a YMCA and a YWCA, but they were both downtown. Not very convenient to the neighborhood that I grew up in. There was a community center, but it was booked solid every day and night. The schools were obviously close by, but other then PTA, sports, and music or theatrical productions, they weren't really available after school hours. There were a couple of Country Clubs at the golf courses, but they preferred to rent their rooms to groups that wanted to serve alcohol, and they were not close to my neighborhood.

But the churches in my neighborhood were ideal places for the Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Explorer Scouts, Brownies, and Girl Scouts. And they were vacant most of the time during the week day evenings when these organizations held their weekly meetings.

My Cub Scout Pack met at my Den Mother's house every Saturday. Except for the monthly Pack meetings at the church and the annual "Blue-and-Gold" banquet when we would meet at the Methodist church. That was always a "Big Deal". We got to go to the same building where our idols, the Boy Scout troop met! Some Boy Scouts even attended our banquet and it was like meeting a rock star.

My Boy Scout Troop met at the Methodist church that I attended. It was only 2 blocks from my house, so I was able to walk there every Tuesday night for five years. They had a special room set aside for my scout troop to store all of our "stuff". I felt very honored when I was old enough to finally advance from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts and attend meetings at my church and work on advancing through all of the different skill levels while learning from the troop leaders and my peers.

Also, the Methodist Church where my scout troop met, had a full basement, or "Fellowship Hall" that included a full kitchen. I cannot remember how many times we used that kitchen to host "pancake suppers" to raise money for summer camp(s). The fellowship hall also had a Public Address system that we could use for our "Eagle Scout" ceremonies. I got to be the master of ceremonies twice for my friends when they were awarded their Eagles. It is a very special ceremony that involves the entire troop, the leaders, the community leaders, and the boys family and parents.

To sum up - why do the Boy Scouts conduct ceremonies at neighborhood churches? Because the churches provide the space at no cost. What do they gain? I think one of the tenets of a church is to serve their congregation/community. Nothing wrong with that!

Plain-and-simple. :supergrin:

By the way. I earned my Eagle badge at the age of 15 years 3 months. On the same night as two of my closest friends. And just shortly after 2 other friends earned theirs.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010