close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Enough differant exercises?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Roddy, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Roddy

Roddy

I have recently started lifting weights at the gym. A trainer set me up with a program that includes six exercises:

Leg press
    Bench press
    Lat pulldown
    Shoulder press
    Tricep pulldown
    Cable curls
    and a few ab exercises

Is this a well rounded exercise/workout program? I have a book that gives an example workout routine that around twenty exercises, and another with even more. Also, where do pushups and chinups fit in? I run a lot and occasionally get a few in while I'm taking a short break.

Also I should add that the trainer wasn't really all that helpful. They give you a free orientation and workout plan and then you have to pay for any other help you want.

2. rallen

rallen

If you are a beginer, then this is a pretty good program. Except I would do squats instead of the leg presses. I would also add dead lifts to the program. It is a full body workout. Do it 2 or 3 times per week and you will see real good gains.

3. DBradD

DBradD

Looks like a good start.

You should add leg curls because it's inadvisable to work the muscles that extend the knee and ignore the ones that bend it - a good way to cause an injury. This is true of all joints, IMO.

I also recommend adding calf raises to the list and changing from cable curls to regular barbell curls or alternating dumbbell curls - pick your favorite.

It's triceps pushdowns, BTW, to save you from saying that wrong over and over and over... I actually like extensions much better than pushdowns, so you might substitute this instead. Standing extensions with one dumbbell murder my triceps many times better than pushdowns. You can also do these with two hands and a larger dumbbell or with a bar. Look up pics of these on the internet if you're interested.

Stick with basic, multijoint exercises whenever possible. In a nutshell, I'm trying to nail down at least one exercise for each major bodypart. The original workout missed a few in my opinion.

Good luck.
    DBD

4. gunguru1

gunguru1

That workout program looks good. At some point you might want to alternate lat pulldowns with wide grip chins or bent-over rows.

-gunguru1

5. Roddy

Roddy

Thanks for the replies guys. This routine actually has what I'm looking for right now, a simple, complete body workout in a few simple exercises, plus I mix in some cardio too. I just wanted to know if it was sufficient or if I was missing out on something major.

I asked about pushups and chinups becuase that seems to be a standard (in school, the military, police forces) for measuring someones fitness. Plus I can do those at home.

6. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

7. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

Forget leg presses. Do squats. The squat is the king of exercises, and far more efficient than leg presses.

8. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

Knees are kind of shaky, what do you guys recommend to build up the knees? Or the muscles near the knees.

Squats with shaky knees are painful at best, dangerous at worst.

9. DBradD

DBradD

How "shaky"? If you have actual medical problems then I have no clue. See your doctor.

Otherwise, if you're healthy and just really hate the idea of doing squats (You are in the gym to have fun and improve yourself, not to cause anxiety!), then leg presses or leg extensions and leg curls would be a good beginner workout to start getting those muscles into shape. A common beginner mistake is doing several hard-hitting exercises for quads and only a few leg curls. Balance out the exercises that extend and bend the leg to avoid having an inbalance. You can always add squats later.

DBD

10. PoiDog

PoiDog Gun Cultured

It's more of a discomfort, probably from years of working construction. Kneeling, lifting heavy materials, etc.

In years gone by, I practiced karate, I think some of the kicking may have done minor damage as well.

I'm doing exactly what you suggested, thanks for your input DBradD. I bought a Weider Max Ultra and it's working out great. It was just what I wanted to do, help with flexibility and firm up / lose weight.

For my purposes, I didn't need a weight set. No spotter available. I plan on adding a recumbent exercise bike soon for some cardio. And maybe a heavy bag.