Enlisting at 33yo. 11x or 19d..Some questions..

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ZuValhalla, Jul 24, 2020.

1. ZuValhalla

ZuValhalla

Yes, I'm old. But not too old. I've taken fitness very seriously my whole life. I'll have no problem exceeding standards. And I'm 32 now, 33 next month.

4 years of university. Covid has disrupted it and I'm rather pissed about this bioweapon attack. So I'd enter as an E3. At least I wouldn't be gramps E1.

I started out considering infantry but really wanted 18x. All the unconventional stuff and unique responsibilities is -very- interesting to me.

I'm too old to enlist 18x (unwaiverable) so I'd have to go through the pipeline the long route.

I then discovered 19D. Infantry plus recon.. Possibly first contact, sneaky stuff, demolition, light and heavy arms, sniper school also being an option.. Very interesting to me.

Slightly more than simple infantry, although infantry is very badass and still a consideration.. Plus a more likely path to Ranger/SF.

Then I remembered that I'm 33 soon, and although making a career out of .mil is possible, I'm not sure of the longevity of somebody starting at my age. Especially considering 2+ years through the SF pipeline, when there's a chance I may just want 4-8 years

I am nearing the traditional retirement age of somebody who started a career out of high school.

Idk the longevity of SF or Ranger level guys and although I like to think I'm exceptional, I'm trying to be realistic.

Should I go 19D? It seems right up my alley

1) What would a career look like for 11B or 19D as an older fella starting out?

2) I want to go light (hmmv) not heavy (armored/bradley) as I've read that the big platforms require a lot more time spent on maintenance and hmmv leaves more time for tactics and field work.. So I want to get a light unit station in my contract, however I have no idea to find out which platform is at each station? Anybody have a reccomendation?

3) I can get airborne school/option 40 in my contract but would it be useful as a 19D operating primarily out of vehicles? I've also read about younger guys breaking ankles etc during jump training and making life a lot harder. So although it sounds like incredible fun, as an older guy trying to stay injury free, would it be worth it?

4) This is a more individual thing, but for bonuses I have two options. I can either sign for 4 years and try to rack up as much as I can, or I can do 6 years and they would pay my student loans (about 22k) and only a 5k enlistment bonus.. What would you choose personally?

I'll have more questions that my recruiters can't answer.

Thanks

2. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I don’t know what 19d or 11b is but it sounds exciting and I’m hoping you have great success

tihash, n2g, rfd339 and 6 others like this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Just remember, in a war, people shoot at the enlisted guys in the Army.

They shoot at the officers in the Air Force.

just sayin’

Sgt127, tihash, 1eyedjack01 and 20 others like this.
  4. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

5. Dave514

Dave514

Nobody ever aimed high and shot their foot off.

Go for whatever thrills you the most.

bandsaw, Cmacc, ZekerMan and 5 others like this.
  6. ZuValhalla

ZuValhalla

Age limit is 35, so nope.

slamdunc, n2g, rfd339 and 1 other person like this.
  7. ZuValhalla

ZuValhalla

11b is infantry. 19d is cavalry scout

billy_56081, n2g, APERS and 2 others like this.
  8. George Kaplan

George Kaplan emeritus

You're too old. But if it makes you happy, have at it.

syntaxerrorsix, rfd339 and catman71 like this.
  9. PlayerOne

PlayerOne

I was a Marine so I'm not too familiar with the Army, but some general advice, if you want it:

- Don't blindly believe everything the recruiter tells you.
    - Just because it's guaranteed in the enlistment contract doesn't mean they're going to place you in that MOS come hell or high water.
    - I'm honestly surprise they'll let you enlist in the first place. You're at the age where command probably won't approve you for anything because, on paper, you look like a terrible investment.

If I may ask a few questions, why are you enlisting at 33 and with a college degree? You said it's because you're pissed at the "bioweapon attack," but what are you honestly expecting? A conventional war with China? Or is it because you need a job? If it's the latter, consider the Reserves. People rag on the Reserves and call them weekend warriors, but in the end it's still a commitment, they still get the training, they still earn the title and benefits, and -- if anything did break out -- they get mobilize and deploy just the same.

You're a few years older than I am and I just can't imagine peace time infantry and having to deal with all that BS again.

bandsaw, NJ1911, roamin0311 and 12 others like this.
  10. Current Resident

Current Resident

My friend welcome here first.

I wish you success and safety.

bandsaw, n2g, rfd339 and 6 others like this.
  11. ZuValhalla

ZuValhalla

I
    I don't think it will be peace time for long. 9/11 killed 5k people. This virus is at nearly 150k and just getting started. Plus lasting complications in some of the recovered. And the damage to our economy and society.

From what I understand, a contract is a contract. Perhaps the marine corps is different but especially in the army. And the jobs I want are in need by the army. Understaffed. And I'm definitely not a blind believer in my recruiters. I ask a lot of questions and know exactly what I want. Wont take less.

As for my age, I bring stuff to the table that younger guys don't yet have. While being in my physical peak for a few more years, perhaps a decade.

War is coming. I think there will be conventional skirmishes at the very least

cyberghostx13 and Inyo Tim like this.
  12. R.B. Riddick

R.B. Riddick

That is a big move at your age; however, follow your dreams because you only have one life to live.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  13. Deltic

Deltic

It is possible to do a few years in the Infantry and then switch over to something else if it gets too hard to keep up with the young guys. I started as Airborne Infantry and later I was a missile tech. There is a huge number of jobs you could do later on, good luck!

bandsaw, tuica, cyberghostx13 and 5 others like this.
  14. 6Actual

6Actual Southern Backwater Mafia

If you like carrying really heavy stuff for incredibly long distances in a very short time 11B is THE way to go, Enjoy!

15. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Lol. 19D a more likely path to SF/Rangers than 11B?

Bwaahahahahahahaha.

Starting as a zero experience recruit. The reality is you’re probably too old to be anything other than a regular infantryman or cav Scout. Maybe a Ranger if you’re a real stud.

So pick your poison. Do you want to be a Infantry, or do you want to be infantry who also has to fix a baby tank.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    NJ1911, tuica, cbetts1 and 5 others like this.
  17. Inyo Tim

Inyo Tim Senior Moment

And if you find yourself in a shooting war, volunteers for recon and door gunners are always in demand. They go through a lot of those. 2nd Lts. too.

NJ1911, tuica, cyberghostx13 and 5 others like this.
  18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam

It’s not Vietnam anymore. We don’t just recruit door gunners

19. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

4 years of college and no shot at OCS?

If you go in, go Air Force, and get into a career that will translate into the civilian world, electronics, satellite communications, nursing, medic, aircraft engine mechanic, something like that...so you can easily get work after your time in the military, whatever that may be. Attend military college while you're in, even if it's just a couple of courses every semester. Finish that degree.

redrick, bandsaw, NJ1911 and 15 others like this.
  20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Liberals 'R Bad!!!!

He's not too old.

I hope you stub your toe.