GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.theblaze.com/news/minneapolis-residents-sue-city-police-shortages

According to KMSP-TV, eight residents have sued the city over what they say is insufficient policing that has left residents fearing for their lives amid the violent crime wave. In fact, the lawsuit claims there are currently fewer sworn officers employed with the Minneapolis Police Department than what is required by the city charter.

More from KMSP:

The group of petitioners questioned city leaders about the number of police officers currently deployed across the city. They contend the MPD has fallen below the minimum thresholds required in the city's charter because of the number of officers who have either gone out on some type of leave or quit since the deadly Memorial Day arrest.
Minneapolis police officers found the riots following George Floyd's death on May 25 so traumatic, in fact, that as of July, about 200 officers, or 20% of the city's police force, had applied to leave the force, the New York Times reported.

And apparently, the city is not in a hurry to find replacements.

"We are here because of people's safety. We want law and order. We want reform. But we are in this city to say, enough is enough," one plaintiff, Cathy Spann, said at a news conference.

Reactions: Hilux1911

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
https://www.theblaze.com/news/minneapolis-residents-sue-city-police-shortages

According to KMSP-TV, eight residents have sued the city over what they say is insufficient policing that has left residents fearing for their lives amid the violent crime wave. In fact, the lawsuit claims there are currently fewer sworn officers employed with the Minneapolis Police Department than what is required by the city charter.

More from KMSP:

The group of petitioners questioned city leaders about the number of police officers currently deployed across the city. They contend the MPD has fallen below the minimum thresholds required in the city's charter because of the number of officers who have either gone out on some type of leave or quit since the deadly Memorial Day arrest.
Minneapolis police officers found the riots following George Floyd's death on May 25 so traumatic, in fact, that as of July, about 200 officers, or 20% of the city's police force, had applied to leave the force, the New York Times reported.

And apparently, the city is not in a hurry to find replacements.

"We are here because of people's safety. We want law and order. We want reform. But we are in this city to say, enough is enough," one plaintiff, Cathy Spann, said at a news conference.
cases like this is why there has been millions of firearms sold this year. 40% were bought by 1st. Time buyers. Think the Dems. Are smart to realize they are the reason for so many gun purchases? I don't.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Does crime go down during the cold winters up there? If so, that’s their only hope.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
This lawsuit will go nowhere unless the plaintiffs can demonstrate negligence or show intent to cause harm. The idiots running the city will drag out studies and experts that say less LE = less crime or some other such garbage.

Best thing they can do for their families is leave before it really gets bad. Whether Trump wins or loses places like Minneapolis are going to explode.

·
Registered
30,847 Posts
Does crime go down during the cold winters up there? If so, that’s their only hope.
It probably go down but go right back up again for the summer.

Reactions: Ftttu

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Lol. This case should garner as much publicity as possible. When it gets dismissed and folks get told the city owes them nothing for all those tax $$ it should wake some up.

Should, but won’t.

·
"Tactical Elf"
2,954 Posts
It is very sad that good people in Minneapolis are suffering and I do feel for them.

I also have no bout, some or a lot of them were out chanting in the streets when this was on the front burner.

What did everyone think was going to happen? Support for LE dropped to nothing there. Now those officers have decided to move on to other departments or careers altogether, and suddenly everyone is shocked, and scared to death because there aren't enough officers?

They are slipping into an abyss that will require drastic measures to return from. Pick an old town from the 1800's when very few even had a Marshall or Sheriff. Gunfights and brawls were the norm, and making an honest living long term was very hard. Welcome to Dodge city, Minneapolis, cause that's where your headed.

TXPO

·
UBER VOL !!!
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This lawsuit will go nowhere unless the plaintiffs can demonstrate negligence or show intent to cause harm. The idiots running the city will drag out studies and experts that say less LE = less crime or some other such garbage.

Best thing they can do for their families is leave before it really gets bad. Whether Trump wins or loses places like Minneapolis are going to explode.
The Minneapolis city charter REQUIRES a minimum staffing level. If the city council allows LEstaffing to fall below required duty levels, and then bad things happen, the city is liable for that result.

I can’t say I’m optimistic, but I hope it sticks. Elected officials have a minimum duty. Fulfill that duty, or the city takes a punishment.

Reactions: CAcop

·
Registered
357 Posts
Mpls is down about 175-200 officers. Anything but patrol and investigations are pretty much closed. What I hear is there's many more officers looking to lateral. Can't imagine anyone would want to start there.

The judge from the Chauvin, et al trial lives in the city I work in. We're sure it'll be fun when that trial starts, and ends.

Cold weather helps a little in MN, but all you do is deal out of your baby mommas aunts' car, and do your drug rips in the warmth.

I'm sure they'll keep dropping off shooting victims at the big local hospitals who have NO IDEA how they got shot or who did it.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The Minneapolis city charter REQUIRES a minimum staffing level. If the city council allows LEstaffing to fall below required duty levels, and then bad things happen, the city is liable for that result.

I can’t say I’m optimistic, but I hope it sticks. Elected officials have a minimum duty. Fulfill that duty, or the city takes a punishment.
Interesting. That would definitely constitute negligence at least and maybe even intent based on public comments they have made.

I was not aware of agencies that had legally mandated LE staffing levels. I know ours are mandated by policy but the sheriff doesn't run to the county commissioners every time we drop below those levels warning of a potential lawsuit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts