Enhanced Concealed Carry Permit in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Themarinedoc, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

If you have not done so, read up on Arkansas's new Enhanced Concealed Carry Permit. You must hold a current Arkansas CC Permit and then go through the process they have established to get the Enhanced Permit, which will allow you to CC in places otherwise not allowed by the standard CC Permit. Arkansas has it right, and hopefully other states will follow. I just read this and all the details on the Beretta Blog or Forum.

TheDuckhunter likes this.
  2. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

Mississippi does the same thing.

Themarinedoc likes this.

3. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

More $$ for state?

Kinda like buying cheats on your phone for a game.

4. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

Arkansas has sort of a mixed bag of firearm laws at this point in time...

I got my regular concealed carry license several years ago, and went through one of the first classes for the enhanced license when they first became available last February. For a CC license in Arkansas, you apply, go thru a state police and FBI background check, take a 6-hour classroom course focusing on the state gun laws, and a practical test showing that you can load, fire, safe, and unload the weapon without unintentionally hurting yourself or the innocent public. "Regular" CC comes with a fair list of Prohibited Places where you cannot carry.

For the Enhanced license, once you have your regular CC license in hand, you complete a scored 50-round range qualification test, and then an additional 8-hours of classroom training on the updated, enhanced requirements as well response to active shooter incidents, weapon retention, and self-defense law, and once you've completed both (70% pass rate on the range portion), you are issued an updated endorsement to your CC license (a big red ENHANCED stamp on your license) which does away with most of the Prohibited Places with the exception of federally Prohibited Places, police departments, courthouses, jails, and Department of Corrections properties, and locations where the private owner has placed specific signage stating "no firearms." It's not a bad deal.

Licenses are valid for 5 years; and once you meet the requirements for the Enhanced license, that is a one-time deal and it carries over in the future when you renew, without having to go back thru the enhanced course again.

Arkansas also has the provisions of Act 746 of 2013 which provide that it is permissible to carry a weapon while on a "journey", defined as outside your home county. This has also been interpreted to allow open carry as long as you do not intend to use the weapon for illegal purposes. Others also interpret this as a constitutional carry privilege.

My choice has been to obtain and use the enhanced license, while still having whatever protection Act 746 may provide... as the enanced license allows you more places than does Act 746, where the old Prohibited Places rules may still apply.
    Enhanced CHCL Sample.jpg

curtmini14, Willard and Themarinedoc like this.
  5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/30/6069...-training-for-enhanced-concealed-carry-permit

Some of those "enhanced" places are already allowed with many state licenses, such as bars. Churches is a valuable enhancement.

• State Capitol grounds and the State Capitol Building
    • Any meeting place of the governing body of any governmental entity
    • Any meeting place of the General Assembly or a committee of the General Assembly
    • Any state office
    Now that is frankly amazing.

6. dubito

dubito

I'd heard a few years ago that Arkansas didn't allow persons who had passed the concealed-carry class with a revolver to carry autos pursuant to a concealed-carry permit.

7. treg

treg

We have a similar "enhanced" BS permit in Michigan.

Evidently some of the "regular " permit holders have proven us unworthy of additional responsibility.

8. Hauptmann6

Hauptmann6

Other than the fact I have NEVER heard of anyone that has the exempt box checked on a MI permit. And have never heard of a way to get that.

9. DocCasualty

DocCasualty Wolverine

10. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

That's correct. If you qualify with a revolver, you're restricted to carrying a revolver. If you qualify with an automatic, you get the endorsement, "Any legal handgun." It's just an Arkansas legislative weirdity.

Way back when, I used my Glock to qualify for the basic permit. I didn't have to, but then I shot the same course of fire with my old Colt DS just to prove to the instructor I could handle both.

11. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

When I was instructing at one police department, the officers qualified with whatever off duty pistol they wanted to, and that qualified them to carry whatever they wanted off duty. When I went to another department, you could qualify with whatever gun you wanted to shoot, and with as many different guns you wanted to carry off duty. The serial number of each gun (one or more) was recorded and you could only carry with departmental authorization with the gun or guns you qualified with. The latter was certainly a better concept, from a lot of different perspectives.

12. G29guy06

G29guy06

So can you go to the court house to do whatever you need to do and not have to leave your gun outside???

13. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Probably not. While I was a cop and had to go to Federal Court on drug cases, always had to check my gun in. Interestingly, so did FBI, ATF and other Federal Law Enforcement. They had lock boxes just like at the jails.

14. pscyclepath

pscyclepath

If you have the Enhanced license, the Courtroom or location of any other judicial hearing remains a Prohibited Place.