English or Pilipino?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by trozau, Apr 9, 2005.

1. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

Regarding the ongoing difference of opinion on whether or not it is okay to post in Pilipino, I would like to pose some of my thoughts.

Sure enough, this forum in GT was formed for the Filipino Glockers and most visiting and frequenting this forum would be able to understand the postings in Pilipino. However, other non-Filipino or non-Pilipino speaking GT Glockers are curious to read about and share knowledge and information with other fellow Glockers regardless of nationality and so they visit this forum. It is just proper netiquette that we post in the host language that the GT forum is under (English) to assure that there are no misunderstandings or misinterpretations of the postings. Even using English, it is sometimes hard to gauge actual post meanings because we can only read and not see the demeanor of the one posting. I can see having one or two Pilipino words in the post every now and then like Kabayan (fellow-countryman) or kaibigan (friend). We all love our native language and are most comfortable with it but let us please try for our fellow international Glocker community.

Thanks for listening. :cool:

2. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

Ang punto ko dito eh, nakalagay naman sa labas ng pinto na ito ay isang silid na nilalagian ng mga Pilipino. Dapat asahan ng mga panauhin na karamihan sa mga talakayan dito ay sa wikang Pilipino.

Ayaw ko lang na maging parang California ang internet kung saan lahat ng mga lahi ay pinagbibigyan.

Salamat po.

;)

3. rhino465

rhino465

I have mixed feelings about this topic.

I actually enjoy seeing the language(s) in text, but I can't really understand any of it. My cousins here have taught me how to say, "Ako ay guwapo!," and beyond that, "kumusta," and "Salamat," my knowledge of Pilipino-Tagalog comes to an end.

Unfortunately I don't speak the dialect when my family orginates either. I think that's because my father is Pinoy and my mother is not. If it were reversed, I suspect I'd be a bit more in tune with the languages, dialects, and culture overall.

I'm not sure if there is a good "solution" as I'm not sure there's really a problem. I know it wouldn't work very well, but I think it would be cool for those who like to post in Tagalog, a dialect, or any other language to then post a translation or maybe just a summary in English for those of us who are "genetically enhanced, but culturally deficient." ;)

4. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

The description of this subforum has it precisely:

BAND OF GLOCKERS
    "Forum for Glock Talk Members of Filippino, Filippino/American, or any nationality that would like to talk about Glocks, Shooting, and all related topics. This forum is based on an informal club that has sprung up, in the Philippines." (emphasis mine)

I would thus caution against viewing this subforum as exclusive with respect to nationality or language (either English or Pilipino), and if we are to welcome other nationalities --who cannot be expected to understand Pilipino-- then our discussions should be accessible: a few posts here and there in Pilipino or Spanish aren't too bad ---anyone needing translation can get it speedily from us.

Is this forum dedicated towards a Filipino orientation?
    You bet your puwet it is.
    Is it exclusively Filipino?
    Nakuuuu, hinding-hindi.

To remain accessible to all other nationalities and lingual fluencies that might visit an interest in us, we are best served with saying what we can in the standard lingua anglica of the world. It would be but an expression of the hospitality that we Filipinos are supposedly blessed with, and a small repayment for the hospitality shown us by the powers-that-be here at GlockTalk.

JM2P,
    horge

"You bet your puwet" = "You bet your butt"
    "Naku, hinding-hindi" = "My mother (equivalent to 'My goodness'), doubly, no"

5. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

IMHO, any topic posted anywhere on GT that affects or is relevant to ALL GT membersn should be done in english. But topics or questions that are only relevant to those from the Philippines, IE: my thread asking if there is anything I should worry about anything while my sister and her family are visitng the Philippines, should not be taken as an insult by none tagalog-speaking members.

I don't get to use my native language very much, specially in the written version. So I take every chance I can to use it when appropriate. If someone takes offense to this, all I can say is though cookies. Not every thread or conversation involves you. The world does revolver around the sun no matter how you would like to be the center of the Universe. FWIW, I've actually had has so-called Americans tell me that since I was in America I should speak "American" while I was talking to family or friends in public. As far as I'm concerned, those who think this way are closet racists.

But if Eric decides to make an officially policy against posting anything in other than English or "American" (whatever the heck that is), then I will have to respect it or leavae GT. But this is JM2CW.

6. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

Eso se dijo muy bien Carlos

7. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

The BOG Code of Conduct says among other guidelines:

1. GlockTalk.com is an international website; meaning different nationalities drop by everyday to view and/or participate in the existing threads. Though not vaguely unacceptable, threads mostly written in Filipino exclude our international friends and “kababayans” who do not understand out language. Minimize the use of Filipino as much as possible.

If we're going to assess the present trends in posting here at the BOG, I think it's safe to say that the use of the Filipino language has not been used too much to the point that it alienates our non-Filipino speaking friends. Virtually all requests for a translation went unignored by the BOG membership.

I have to agree with rhino465 on this. There really isn't any problem. In fact, this is a great, free opportunity to learn another language for those willing to learn. That said, the BOG membership has been reminded time and again to still minimize the use of Filipino on their posts. Though please understand that some running private jokes between members just sounds "off" when stated in English.

We are extremely against the use of Filipino language in arguments with a non-Filipino speaker. There are more than enough BOG members to ensure that will not happen.

8. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

It's Eric's call, as he's the administrator. He's been allowing the use of Pilipino, Pilipino/English, or English. This has been going on for years - long before BinLurkin started posting here.

So, I suggest we just ignore BinLurkin and go on as we usually do. There is no problem.

9. Allegra

Allegra

Hirap magisip ng punchline pag all english

10. 6lock3d

6lock3d

Sinabe mo pare.....Taglish na lang.

11. doctabako

doctabako Gun Aficionado

Could our moderators please correct the spelling of the word Filipino in the description of this subforum. I'm not nitpicking here, this is solely in the interest of accuracy;f

12. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

Ilagay mo dyan Dok!

(Put it there Doc!)

(Mettre l'Altère là-bas)

(Stellen Sie es dort Doktor)

13. trozau

trozau troy ounce gold

I would think that information regarding problem areas to avoid in the Philippines would also be valuable and useful information to anyone (not just Filipinos) who may be visiting or are considering visiting the Philippines.

14. CarlosDJackal

CarlosDJackal

Muchas gracias, mi amigo.

15. vega

vega

It was not BinLurking who asked for a translation, it was DeltaEliteMan.

Obviously, BOGs are divided with this issue. Just post in whatever language and dialect you want and let's see what happens.

vega

16. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

DocT,

I'd already asked Eric to correct the spelling of 'Filip(p)ino', a looooong time ago (that was a little bit before he fell ill and was hospitalized). Probably time to give it another shot ---and the actual correction shouldn't take more than a few minutes of his time.

Abangan...

horge

17. rhino465

rhino465

Ako ay guwapo!

#wav

18. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Alright Cousin Rhino! Now say that to Julie G!;f

19. vega

vega

Ok guys, so which is it? Foreign languages are not ban. It's still ok to talk in English, Spanish, French.....;)

vega

20. jasonub

jasonub

I speak flipino and english and can write in both. I however cannot speak french. But i do kiss that way;f