close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Engine 2 Diet. Forks over Knives, Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks to member Hamster, I spent most of the day reading up on the Engine 2 Diet, aka Forks over Knives.

As most of you know, I got put on Zocor last week, and I'm already starting to feel the side effects too. Muscle pains, clumsiness, forgetfulness, digestive issues, libido, etc.

I have bought into the 28 Day Challenge. I don't want to live on Statins. I jut got back from an almost $200 shopping trip, but I couldn't find some of the items. Such is life in a small town in Dixie.

I want my family to watch the film tonight. My 11 year old daughter has been eating vegetarian for a few months now, so I have a partner.

My book is on the way from Amazon. Has anyone tried this besides Hamster? Any vegetarians in the house?

2. Alan

Alan Millennium Member CLM

I did. I don't consider myself a vegan, vegetarian, or other such moniker...but I did for about 6 months to drastically cut my numbers and get away from all meds. It works. The proof is in the pudding. Here's my short story:

My Tglides were off the chart, high blood pressure, bad heart valve, plaque build-up in my neck, and total cholesterol of 220. After watching "Forks Over Knives", reading Dr. E's book, reading "The China Study", and reading about the "Engine 2 Diet", and starting P90X, I adopted the plan full force.

Fast forward a year, several rounds of P90X, Insanity, AthleanX, and continued vigilance of an eating program...I am off all meds, no more plaque build-up in my neck, no more high blood pressure, blood flow viscosity is perfect, Tglides are perfect, and total cholesterol is 136. All without meds! This was just proper diet and exercise. I don't like putting meds in my body.

My cardiologist is amazed! I'm in better shape at 43 than ever before and can do all things better. Matter of fact, I throw the bell curve on all my stress tests. My cardiologist gets pissed at me because try as she might, she can't elevate my heart rate up on the treadmill during her tests even when she maxes out the speed and incline! 2 minutes off the thing and my heart rate is already down to near rest levels of 120/80. No lie.

Now, I was never overweight and already had a slim build but that doesn't mean I was healthy. It took blood, sweat, and tears to get this body. I still workout daily and mainly focus on cardio to stay heart healthy. I'm not a meathead and never wanted to bulk up. That's not my thing. I wanted to achieve overall health while still looking good and feeling good about myself when I look in the mirror. I accomplished that goal.

I'm what i like to call a "selectarian", meaning I still do the whole grain, plant-based diet but also incorporate some free-range skinless chicken, grass-fed beef, and fish at times. I don't eat any dairy products, no oils, tons of veggies, some fruit, some nuts, watch my carbs, and stay away from all sugars (besides what is naturally in the fruit I eat). Over time, I have created a grocery list of what works for me that I strictly adhere to each month.

Feel free to hit me up via PM if you want to talk or get more details.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

3. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks Alan. I appreciate the response.

4. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

If you stick to a 2000 calorie diet* +-, then you'll naturally start to eat a lot of vegetables to get a decent volume of food in your stomach in my experience. A portion of meat, a real portion, is actually quite small (think 120 calories +-, or 1/2 a chicken breast).

Eat right, exercise, lose weight, and a lot of health problems go away. I think science proved that a one point, but I can't find the wikipedia cite :D

Being vegetarian must really suck. :tongueout:

* or 2600, or 3000, or whatever it you need to maintain or lose weight depending on your specific, unique caloric need -- which is based on math and experimentation.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  5. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

I started with a 60 day juice fast, kind of like in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, some time ago. I still regularly juice for breakfast and lunch and eat sensible dinners, try to cut out excess carbs like breads and beers (well at bbq competitions the rules don't apply for me) and am still down 35 lbs since I started. Going to do a reboot and another 30 day juice fast and see what happens. I have a goal of another 20lbs this year, which is completely doable. I actually love eating right. The closer you get to the natural state of foods, you'd be surprised what happens to your numbers. Condensed calories are the enemy for me, I go natural whenever I can.

6. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Just got a new Forks over knives cookbook:wavey:
    I've tried to maintain a 90% veg,fruit,grain,rice and bean diet for a few months now.
    It has helped my summer allergies and I have lost weight.

7. snappy

snappy

Let me tell you what worked for me, I know everyone is different but here goes. On Dec 31 2011 I had a heart attack at 4:30 in the morning. Got up, had the wife take me to the hospital where they discovered I had a blocked artery to my heart. Had a stent put in on my wifes bday, Jan 3 2012. Afterwards my doc told me he wanted me to lose a good 20-25 pounds. I was 225 at the time. I thought how in the world is that going to be possible at age 47. I went and looked and researched all the new diets and fads and ended up going with Weight Watchers, which for me has been the best thing going period. It's easy to do and through Weight Watchers and exercise I've now lost a total of 45 pounds, down to my goal weight of 180. I feel fantastic, run about 3 miles at least 4 times a week, and can't believe the difference. On top of that I haven't had to radically change my diet, just make smarter choices and watch my portion sizes. If you haven't tried Weight Watchers, I would urge you to look into it.

8. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks for the feedback fellas. Last night we said farewell to bacon.
    I found several recipes on the FOK site, and I hope the E2 book is here today.

As an aside, I am having a fit of dizziness today. I think the Flexiril side effects are kicking my ass today, even though I take it at night.

9. Restless28

Restless28

I used a recipe out of the E2 Diet book last night. It's a simple black beans and brown rice dish. Ladle brown rice on a plate, top with black beans, and mound tomatoes, bell peppers, water chestnuts, avocado, onions, corn, cilantro, etc. I added some low sodium Kikkoman and Pace picante as a seasoning.

I really liked it, but chopping veggies sure is time consuming, lol.

My wife grabbed my book yesterday and began reading it, too.

10. Alan

One of my favorite meals right now is whole grain brown rice topped with either low sodium pinto beans or low sodium black beans and pico de gallo. Takes me all of 15 minutes to prepare.

I buy the box of boil-in-bag whole grain brown rice and the pico de gallo (which already comes prepared in small containers) from my local grocery store.

You'll find shortcuts like that as you go along. There's no way I have time to stay in the kitchen. It's not my thing, so I find ways to save myself time when preparing meals.

11. Restless28

Restless28

Looks like my timing is pretty lucky. I just saw a news report that poultry, beef, and dairy prices will shoot up come October.

12. Restless28

Restless28

Finally saw the Forks Over Knives film.

I was very impressed and more motivated to change my diet to a whole foods plant based diet.

13. Alan

Now read "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr.
    After that, read "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell.

You can thank me later. :wavey:

14. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Hey Restless, I'm glad I turned you on to the diet. Like I said in the original post, it can't hurt to try it for 28 days right? Even if you find out you hate life on the diet or that it is hard to follow, IMO it is still better than Meds if it works out for you.

I'm only a vegan for health reasons and every once in a while I fall off the wagon. I'm goin to a pig roast on the 25th where I'll be goin' hog wild on hog. But my normal every-day regime is now all whole foods plant based. It CAN be expensive, but you will get better. As you go shopping more, you'll learn what locally grown ingredients you can use and like and you'll learn to waste less.

I discovered that my local Asian stores are the best places to buy good fresh produce at a fraction of the price of normal grocery chains.

Look on the bright side, there is a light at the end of the tunnel... if it works for you, you can still occasionally have the things you like... but your dietary staples will have fundamentally changed. Try the strict diet for a month or two, go back to your doctor and see what happens. I'm willing to bet you he will take you off the meds.

15. Restless28

Restless28

Thanks again, Hamster.

I'm watching FOOD Inc. now for the first time. Wow. Just wow.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  16. bwphoto

bwphoto Lifetime Member

My mom used weight watchers and a lot of the tips/ideas in these diets. Today her doctor said he "forgot" she was diabetic because her system has improved so dramatically.

It's your life. Tell your tongue that if it gets what it wants it won't be able to enjoy it for long.

17. JMS

JMS 02

I'm doing a combination of Weight Watchers and South Beach phase 1, 3 weeks in I'm down 15 lbs without exercising which I will add in the near future.

18. holesinpaper

holesinpaper

I believe conventional thinking is that if you lose weight without weight training, then you're losing muscle as well as fat.