Enfield Revolver, Arcus 94, Ruger SS report:

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

I took a few guns out today to the local 25yrd bullseye range.
    [​IMG]

The Enfield is the No2 Mk1*, a DAO revolver chambered in .380 British or what is Yanks call .38/200 or .38 Smith and Wesson. The British like the heavy and slow theory with bullets, it took a 200gr lead slug, which switched later to a jacketed 180gr (ish)
    bullet.
    [​IMG]
    These days, we're pretty much stuck with equally slow 145gr lead round nosed bullets from Remington and Winchester mostly...slow as in just barely 600fps according to my recently departed Chrono.
    In the case of Win 145gr, maybe less.

[​IMG]

I anticipated much difficulty getting anything pretty at 25yrds. The trigger is heavy, like 17-18lbs heavy- though better than the 1895 Nagant DA, FWIW.

I had 18 rounds or three cylinderfuls, so I did my best. Almost held bull....which is pretty good for me with this shooter.
    [​IMG]

I really like this gun. It shoots a pipsqueak round, has a MFer trigger and hits about half a foot low with most ammo, but refinishing it and whittling the walnut grips I guess bonded us. Once I'm able to get my Handloading shop up, I'll be trying some 200gr pills in it. It has potential.:supergrin:

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

The Arcus 94 is a Bulgarian take on the BHP/P35 design with some more modern interpretations in the slide and frame. Dovetailed sights, ambi safety, a more pronounced tang to help prevent hammer bite and Sig-Sauer like slide profile. Internals, magazines, grips and barrel interchange with the BHP. The frame and slide are forged high grade steel, it actually weighs a couple oz more than the original BHP, lending to some theories that it's a bit stronger in the frame and slide....not really worried myself, BHPs aren't exactly weak guns.
    [​IMG]

This gun has had the mag disconnect safety removed, has a decent trigger that feels about 6lbs with just a slight 'roll' to it at the break that reminds me of CZ SA triggers on their DA/SA guns. Decent for a design infamous for crappy triggers.
    I used 124gr ball ammo from Magtech. This ammo ran fine like pretty much everything else I've tried through the gun, but perhaps slightly light, as cases blurped from the ejection port with minimal effort. I guess that's okay though, since I keep the brass and didn't have to look far for it.
    It's also one of the hardest guns for me to shoot here for some reason. The gun has a muzzle light balance, which makes it very quick for combat style drills, but tough for 25yrd groups. The majority of the 50rounds went all over the paper as I struggled to get a consistent POI. With 15 rounds left, I put up a fresh bull and did some dry firing to settle down my trigger pull. The muzzle lightness combined with the trigger had me pushing the gun a little which probably caused my stringing. I tried to correct that with my fresh target and last 15, there was some improvement...
    [​IMG]
    I find this gun shoots especially well with hotter defense ammo, but it did decent with Magtech range swill today, once I straightened out my shooting.

3. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

I've always been fascinated by the Enfield handgun. Sorry I never picked one up. Yours looks "cherry."

Berto likes this.
  4. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Good report, so far. Guess the Ruger is coming up soon. :cheers:

Berto likes this.
  5. Berto

Berto woo woo

With Ruger Single Six in .22mag, things looked up quite a bit. The trigger compared to the two previous guns, is exquisite. It's pretty good, the pre transfer bar guns are known for having a sweet, clean and light trigger.
    I used CCI Maxi Mags 40gr jhp, these smoke along about 1375fps avg from this gun.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Things took off really well for me with this gun, my first ten held nine ring. Then, as I'm apt to doing, I grew a bit lackadaisical and sped up until my shots started going toward the perimeters of the black. Dumbass.
    Still, this thing is accurate. In hopes of regaining the sweetness, I tried a fresh POA above the bull for ten shots. Meh.
    [​IMG]
    Anyways, good shooter. Love the trigger, especially after the Enfield.

6. steve1911

steve1911

Cool report.

1911club#410

7. colin1230

colin1230

Berto,
    Another cool report, thanks.
    Your 'recently departed' chrono, do you plan to get another one and if so which do you have in mind?
    Also, more details on the hand loading shop, maybe?

Berto likes this.
  8. Berto

Berto woo woo

Last time out with my second chrono, I drilled it. I had chrono'd the Single Six, got out my NAA mini and nailed the display and front sensor first shot. You gotta hold the ENTIRE front sight over the rear hump on those things or you're going low. I went low. The chrony is a serviceable and cheap unit....but it can be tricky to get lighting right so it 'sees' well enough, so sometimes I try too hard to make it easy by hugging my shots a few inches over the sensors....
    I'm going to a ProChrono next time. They are much more forgiving with lighting and picking up your shots. I'm also going to put a piece of angle iron in front of the sensor.:supergrin:
    As far as reloading, I moved not too long ago into a larger house. My last house was about the size of the garage in this house.
    I have a Rockchucker, dies, scale, craploads of brass and a few other things, but still need some case prep stuff and a tumbler, maybe a proper priming tool, etc. before I am ready to build the bench in my den. Lots of stuff I need to do.

9. colin1230

colin1230

The ProChrono is the one I have been looking at. It has a nice Bluetooth unit available that would be very useful for me since I can't be walking back and forth down range. My first press was the Rockchucker, still use it for 357mag and 45 Colt. Congrats on the bigger house, nice ain't it!

10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie

Berto, nice write-up as usual.

Question: Your hold technique? One hand old school bullseye, two hand unsupported, two hand rested? or what?

Berto likes this.
  11. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Berto- is it just my bad eyes or does your Webley's finish have a greenish-tint to it?? Nice guns for sure.

Berto likes this.
  12. bac1023

bac1023

Nice report Berto :thumbsup:

I like the Arcus pistols, though mine is a 98DA.

13. Berto

Berto woo woo

Two handed (isos) unsupported. Sometimes I do shoot bullseye, but generally not for groups like I post here.

14. Berto

Berto woo woo

This Enfield (very similar to a Webley) was refinished in olive drab...so yeah it's greenish. It had the painted black like most of them came, but it was only about 50%, it also was missing the stirrup spring and the vulcanite stocks were broken (the gun was $95). A fixer upper. I still think about getting a spurred hammer and the SA sear back.

15. willieH

willieH

Good info, thanks for taking the time and effort to record your shooting experiences.

Berto likes this.