Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well some of you know, I was injured at the academy a few weeks back. Well I will be receiving a letter of termination as a result. And turning in my .45 and badge in the next 2 weeks. Thank you all for the advice and help over the last 4 months.
Take care and stay safe.

· GTDS #88
3,378 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, what dept/agency?

Seems ****ty they would cut you loose from a training injury instead of recycling you.

· Federal Member
30,583 Posts
Sounds strange to be cut loose like that. What happened?

· Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was injured sprained knee and sent home because the recovery would pull me out of training for to long (6 weeks). Our policy states you have to graduate from the IPA or a state academy and rake the bridge course before 1 year is up from date of hire. I've worked there for less than 4 months and they've stated that I violated that particular rule. The chief also stated that we only get one chance at fletc then we are done. Problem is I got hurt. I didn't quit or fail. They don't see it that way.

· Registered
11,892 Posts
Hogwash. Come west young man. Lots of folks hiring. Our First Nations officers go through the state academy.

Reactions: CBennett

· GTDS #88
3,378 Posts
Sounds like they don't like you. That sucks, and there's not a lot you can do, from what I can see. I suppose you could pursue it up the chain, but I don't know how productive that would be.
Agreed, I've seen things like this go both ways. If a guy is liked good to go, if not liked. well, see ya.

· Banned
332 Posts
I worked for a Federal agency when I went through FLETC. We had folks who were "recycled" because of injury during PT or Defensive Tactics. They had to take a number and wait for a future slot to open, which made some of them wait another year before they could return. We had some of the most physically fit students in the academy at the time.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. We've had people injured and recycled.
Don't quit! If they terminate you that's different.

You were injured on the job make sure that you get all the medical care / physical therapy you are entitled to.

Heal up. Get yourself back in shape.
US Border Patrol is hiring right now so you could get back to Artesia.
ICE will be hiring in the 2016 Fiscal Year.

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/406558000

Best of luck.

Reactions: TBumps

· Registered
38,684 Posts
Good luck. If the injury happened on the clock then it is workers comp. They don't have to keep you but they do have to pay for your medical. I am surprised they let you go before you were healed.

· Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I filed my appeal today.
It's funny my termination letter said things like "Rez is encouraged to apply again, and we would be happy to write him a letter of recommendation, and wish him luck in future endeavors" I turn in my gear tomorrow.

· Registered
3,142 Posts
Are you in the pension? Here if you become disabled and cannot work, even if its your first day, you can receive a total disability pension for 65% of your salary.

· Registered
874 Posts
I filed my appeal today.
It's funny my termination letter said things like "Rez is encouraged to apply again, and we would be happy to write him a letter of recommendation, and wish him luck in future endeavors" I turn in my gear tomorrow.
Fight, fight, fight. Do not give up. This smells like **** and looks like ****, so it probably is ****.

Come to Iowa. If you're set on the American Indian thing, we only have one PD of that flavor, on the Meskwawki Settlement. But there's lots of other great departments to work for, and I need a roommate.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts