End of an Era

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by packsaddle, Sep 20, 2020.

1. packsaddle

packsaddle

So after working for the same department for almost a decade I've decided it's time to leave. We now have a new "chief" who is the complete opposite of our former chief. Former chief was old school, always had our backs, stood up to crackpot city officials, and expected us to kick criminal ass on patrol.

Our new "chief" is an admin hack, micromanager, narcissist, sociopath, and doesn't give a damn about crime or criminals. As a matter of fact, this loser doesn't even want arrests because those stats give the appearance of a crime problem in our jurisdiction, even though 99 percent of our proactive officer initiated felony arrests are just people passing through our county on the highway.

This poser has no real patrol experience and places all emphasis on community image and perception. He uses cute little buzzwords like "community policing" and "standardized policies".

Me and a few other officers cleaned up our town about four years ago, sending dozens of punks to prison and sending others on the run with warrants. The rest of the knuckleheads just moved away after being jacked with repeatedly. For the past three years we have rarely received any calls for service on our night shift, averaging less than one call per shift.

But our new poser "chief" is going to destroy everything we worked so hard to accomplish with his new kumbaya ideas like Coffee With A Cop and Cafeteria Cops. Calls for service and crime are going to skyrocket under this idiot's reign and proactive officer initiated felony arrests, which have averaged about 100 per year for the past three years, are going to plummet at least 80 percent. The few good officers at our department are going to flee while the lazy officers will stay. My principles just won't allow me to stick around for the impending disaster.

I believe this is the heart of the problem in modern policing: the trend away from actual law enforcement (defined as the discovery of criminal activity and the pursuit and apprehension of criminals) to the new agey feel-good, smile-and-wave, community courtesy officer.

Anyway, what I would like to know is if there is a term you guys use for these types of admin hack police chiefs. I don't mean the typical terms we use off duty to describe them, but rather a legitimate term used that I can include in a book if I ever decide to write one.

Thanks, in advance.

engineer151515, Bish1309 and CAcop like this.
  2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Proactive depolicing?

Randy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Detectorist and CAcop like this.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Personnel Failures in Meritocracy.

ranger1968 and CAcop like this.
  4. packsaddle

packsaddle

5. blueiron

blueiron

I quickly scanned the article, so with population and demographics aside, why was it published?

Team policing, community based policing, beat policing, are all just nonsensical re-marketing of the Peel theory of policing from the 19th century. Every decade or so, a number of CJ graduate students who lack intelligent creativity, dig through theses of past students in order to come up with enough material to write their theses.

Since sociology and psychology cannot/will not adequately address social deviance with quantitative reliability, they address the easier to control variables such as governmental influence on policing. One of the continuous themes of this failure is the "marketing" of the police to the community sectors and what demands/needs do these sectors require to achieve "buy-in" into the community plan.

The police are seen as unapproachable, so we will make them available and this should resolve all societal sector mistrust of police! Midnight basketball, shop with a cop, coffee with a cop, etc. are all simply marketing tools which are "easily implemented", cost little, and are designed to divert attention away from the real efforts of police to arrest and bring to justice criminals. After all, it's hard to dislike a friend, eh? It doesn't work and repeated implementation across cities, towns, rural areas, and with all demographics proves that it doesn't work.

Never mind that it doesn't work. It is government and government willingly tolerates failures in programs. Those grad students will author horrible theses with absolutely no empirical evidence to back up their hypotheses or with enough bad statistics to impress a stats illiterate Ph.D. into passing their "capstone" project, then go on to promote into chiefs, sheriffs, directors, etc.

Your chief does not mention enforcement because he/she was never taught enforcement. They were taught community engagement, marketing, and a falsified sociology that everyone is a "rational actor" and does what is in their "best interests". Any 6 month experienced beat cop can tell you that that is unadulterated BS, with people destroying themselves with substance abuse, engaging in destructive relationships with others and then transference of responsibilities to others.

Your community is now getting what the largest cities got in the 1970s, others got in the 1980s and 1990s, and has now finally permeated down to the towns and communities where it isn't wanted.

There is no place in LE to go to hide from this any longer and you can either endure or quit. Good luck.

6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

The root cause this problem is the underlying assumption that LE is the root cause of the problem, and "fixing" LE is therefore able to solve it.

The best example is the recent emphasis about de-escalation above all else as the Holy Grail of incident management. If only the police would de-escalate properly, suspects would finally willingly submit to being handcuffed and arrested without resistance if de-escalated well enough and long enough. REALLY????? Some people really mean it when they think they will not be taken alive. Just a fact. You can extend an olive branch all day long, but at some point it's up to THEM to be willing to take it.

Granted, some of these trust issues were not created in a vacuum, here's plenty of history, and living memory of actual police brutality, racially based. I get the lack of trust. It has to be earned. I expect them to look at incidents with a skeptical eye. Fair enough.

That does not excuse labeling every YouTube video of every use of force as confirmation it still exists. Recent case here in Detroit, guy was getting arrested, a bystander literally pulled a gun and started shooting at the cops at point blank range, a miracle the closest guy wasn't hit, he smartly (or blindly stumbled into) charging him and going for the gun as there was no time to get his out and engage in a shootout, and other officers on scene also shot the guy, quickly fell to the ground. One officer shot him in the head on the ground as he was struggling, and firing off 3 more rounds.

For one thing, another cop is on the guy struggling to control him, but also blocking access to any vital areas in the thoracic triangle, leaving the head the only vital area to target, for another thing, the guy is still firing off shots, so there's absolutely no reason to question shooting him at that point. Head is the only target, guaranteed to stop him shooting. Absolutely the right, and in fact the only move at that point. Thankfully Chief Craig released video, which tended to calm things down for the most part, as the rumors were that he was unarmed when shot. But "Detroit Will Breathe" group is still out there trying to stir up **** calling it an execution. https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...ased-by-dpd-to-combat-rumors-on-social-media/

Another case in the news lately guy runs, and is on body camera pulling a gun, clearly visible, got shot, and people are up in arms.

Every time force is used or someone gets shot by the cops isn't the cops fault. The George Floyd case is valid case of wrongdoing by the cops involved, no argument from me. However to state that case is the tip of an iceberg is simply false. The rest of the iceberg Floyd is the tip of consists of justified uses of force.

It's kind of ludicrous even in theory. No amount of community policing and coffee with a cop is going to make up for unarmed black men getting murdered by police. You aren't going to win that battle by convincing them you're otherwise a really nice bunch of guys when you're not murdering unarmed black men. You have to challenge that assumption and show how and why those incidents are not what they are portrayed as in the media. Until you convince enough people that those are not cold blooded racially based murders you're not going to get any traction with Officer friendly type programs. They're great to humanize officers, but depend on a basic level of trust as a foundation. Without that foundation, they're a waste of time.

Admin is afraid to have that conversation, somewhat understandable as it's not going to be easy, and they're not going to be popular for making it, much easier to start a feel good campaign and try to convince people we're not the sort of people that would "do that". Sounds great, except there's plenty of instances all over the internet that are being portrayed as doing precisely "that".

Randy

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
    packsaddle likes this.
  7. John_AZ

John_AZ

Thought for a moment you worked for the department my old chief left and moved on to....

8. packsaddle

packsaddle

Thanks guys for your input.