close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Enamel plated cast iron pots

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Remander, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Remander

Remander

I sometimes see Sara, Emeril, and other Food TV types cooking in what appear to be enamel-plated cast-iron pots and pans.

I saw a nice 5.5 qt dutch oven today. It was very heavy and seemed like a great tool for stew, chili, gumbo, etc., but it was $185!!!

Have any of you guys used this style of pot/pan, and do you like them??

I understand they are not totally non-stick, but it appears they have some of that quality, with enough stickiness to brown stuff well.

Please share any thoughts you have on these, as I may break down and buy one some day.

2. bachchoy

bachchoy Bond

They probably all use "Chasseur" in thier shows. I've used these in the past. They are extremely expensive but worth every penny. I know people who had thiers for decades. You have to season the inside for them to be non stick like any cast iron. If you have the dough I would recommend them. You can bake, broil, and boil just about anything in them.

[​IMG]

3. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

4. G22-Joe

G22-Joe I C Red People

If you like to cook, and you like oven cooking and stove top cooking, then get one! I have my great grandmothers Creuset's and they are awesome. I used to cook in cheap dutch ovens, and from time to time the crockpot (still do the crock pot). Then I got my great grandmothers pots, as my grandmother passed away, actually I got half of them, Mom got the other half (14 total).

Talk about browing, roasting, baking, boiling stuff! Once it is seasoned (luckily mine had 50+ years of seasoning) it is very hard to get stuff to stick unless you go nuclear. I noticed my roasts come out great, much better over the whole roast, rather than one or two spots not done, or over done. The vegetables keep the color, and the heavy lid and ceramic keep all the flavor in.

You can sometimes find these used at Thrift stores, pawn shops and other such second hand places. Most of them do not know that a well seasoned ceramic over cast iron pot is usually worth more than a new one! They do "crackle", at least the glazing does, it is nothing to worry about, as long as you cannot see iron you are fine. The import thing is to make sure no chips or on the inside cooking area, as the heat and steam will quickly break loose the other ceramic. I learned that on one of my pots.

Get one, break it in and season it. I find that using actual lard works the best for seasoning, as I do it for all my cast iron and friends whom want me to season theirs. The best method I found was wipe the whole thing with a good bit of lard, and place it in the oven at 250 for 3 hours. Put a cookie sheet with foil under it to catch the drippings. Let it cool down, then rub it up again with lard, back in the oven for 3 more hours. Cool it down, rub it up again, then I leave it over-night in the oven (8 hours) while I sleep nearby, not too worried about fires, have yet to have a flare-up. Once that is done, let it cool to room temp, and wipe off any extra lard/grease and get to cooking. Just use plain soap on the Cermic/Iron pots, with a simple wash cloth. Any burnt on stuff just let it be, scrubing these pots will rub out the glaze and ruin your pot.

Best of luck.

5. Mild Bill

Mild Bill Millennium Member

I have a lot of nice knives and cooking things, but I would LOVE to find a good deal on a
    big ol' Le Creuset dutch oven...

;c

6. JPinAZ

JPinAZ

Just curious, but why would you season an enameled cast iron pan? Nowhere on Le Creuset's web page does it mention seasoning a pan.

Oh, Le Creuset does have some factory outlets that sell seconds. My sister got me a 5 or 5 1/2 quart dutch oven for Christmas last year & I can't tell why it was a second.

7. Remander

Remander

Okay, you sold me. Mine arrived today from www.cutleryandmore.com. They had the best price ($139.95 and no shipping fee) I could find.

I'm not sure what's for dinner tomorrow night, but it will be cooked in a big red pot. Maybe coq au vin to go with the French Oven?

You can see my choice here.

8. bachchoy

bachchoy Bond

9. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Crap, now I want one...;Q

10. General Sherman

General Sherman

Look for deals at the Le Crueset outlet stores.
    Go to their wevsite and look for their outlet locations.
    There is the main one North of Hilton Head, SC and South of Charleston.
    Also in North Georgia Outlet Center in Dawsonville, about 20 miles from the River Bend Gun Club. Sometimes on good days I go shooting and then shopping.:cool:

11. G22-Joe

G22-Joe I C Red People

Sorry for the late reply. I have always "seasoned" my pots and pans. Including the enameled pans. It helps fill in and seal any tiny poors or imperfections. It was taught to me, and it is what I do. I have had a friend who bought a enameled pot, and just washed it lightly and went straight to cooking with it. Did a simple roast, that tasted great, I was actualy there to eat some of it, yet when it came time to wash it! The drippings, had actualy baked into the surface of the enamel, leaving a permanent "black ring" in the pot. Even using the old "fabric softner" soak (as used for Corningwear) it did not loosen it up enough to get rid of it. I have had no such issues, as I mentioned, I season them. All my enamel pots and pans have a nice patina (sp?) color in the white enamel. To clean them I just wipe them out with a rag, and wash with a soft rag and pure soap (Joy, non-lemon scented is one of the purist soaps) no scrubbing or "elbow grease", and you don't want to soak them, unless you have to. I have yet to soak one, and most likely never will.

Hope that answers your question.

12. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

I've had luck every now and then at second hand stores with buying chipped or less than perfect condition Le Creusset then send it in and for 50% of new price they will send you a new one. I have over 30 pieces and love the stuff. The only problem is they don't hang on pot racks well (they get chipped) so they suck up a lot of space on the basement shelves.

13. Hokie3

Hokie3

My girlfriend just got me the 5.5qt Le Crueset for $90 somewhere in Northern Virginia.(I'll ask here where) It had some small scratches on the lid but other than that, it was perfect. I think we may try and find the "less than desireables" at the discount stores if we're gonna make a collection. These things can get expensive! Haven't cooked with it yet, but I plan to season it tonight. I'll let you know!

Also, I ordered the Le Creuset Wok for my girlfriend from www.cutleryandmore.com two weeks before Christmas and just got my notification that it was shipping this weekend. They had a great deal on these woks and unfortunately it's been on backorder for that long. I believe they sold out of the old model with the solid lids and now have the woks with the glass lid. We'll let you know how it works as well!

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Jeff Gannon???

I keep an eye out for these at garage sales. Most people don't know what they are. They assume if it's not non-stick, it isn't new or good.

Minor scraches and nicks aren't that big of a deal.
    The only one I have I got for $5. Went to the mall and saw the same one for $135!

:cool:

15. steveinpa

steveinpa

this might be an ol discussion. but enamle base cast iron pots is no different than grilling on a charcoal propanne grill IMHO. It totally defiets the purpose.

16. G22-Joe

G22-Joe I C Red People

I understand what you are saying, yet not everyone has the time to grill or smoke a 3-5lb roast over coals/gas for several hours. The fact is that you can also steam in the flavors and get your vegies done just right, while also keeping the drippings for gravy. It also is so much easier to just put it in the oven and forget about it (not completely) and in a few hours your done.

I also smoke/grill and enjoy doing a Boston Butt at least every other month. Yet is comes out better when it is smoked then grilled, yet time can be limited, hence the reason for a good dutch oven.

Also lets not forget, some people live in apartments or in HOA (Home Owners Association) that prohibit outdoor grills/smokers. Not to mention some people just do not like grills/smokers.

17. PDogSniper

PDogSniper

Kinda hard to do a pot roast on a grill isn't it...?