close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

EMT's w/ concealed firearms?

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Bullmastiff1, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

Are there any EMT's out there that have considered carrying a CONCEALED firearm? I'm sure it is against most public and private employer policies, but if you found yourself in a worst case scenario, would you rather lose your job or your life? I am not an EMT, so this does not personally pertain to me, but I am interested in anyone else's opinion or knowledge on this topic.

2. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I've carried on the rig for years. It's against policy, but certainly not law. Hell, a cop helped fit me with body armor, so they know the risks are a very real part of the job.

-Emt1581

3. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

I've carried on the rig for years. It's against policy, but certainly not law. Hell, a cop helped fit me with body armor, so they know the risks are a very real part of the job.

I assume you have a concealed carry permit, but are you Act 235 certified? If not, you might want to look into Act 235. You may be in better shape, legally, if you're carrying while on duty as an EMT and are Act 235 certified.

4. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I have a license to carry firearms. The act 235 is offered at a place where I don't go any more due to safety issues. What all is involved in the course? I have been shooting and competing for years, and am just curious what more I'd learn.

Also, what cost is involved?

-Emt1581

5. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

I have a license to carry firearms. The act 235 is offered at a place where I don't go any more due to safety issues. What all is involved in the course? I have been shooting and competing for years, and am just curious what more I'd learn.

If you are a seasoned shooter, you won't learn much more as far as firearms. Act 235 is the PA certification to carry a lethal weapon while on duty in the private sector (ex. armed security guard, private detective, body guard, bail enforcement officer, etc.) There are 4 things you have to do to be certified; 1. pass a physical, 2. pass a psych evaluation, 3. pass a State Police background check, 4. pass the 40 hour Act 235 training course from a certified school. Costs involved: cost for your physical; $150-$200 for the psych eval; $104 total to PA State Police; $275 or more for the 40 hour course; cost for 250 rnds of ammo. This is PSP's website for Act 235:
    http://www.lethalweapons.state.pa.us/lethalweapons/site/default.asp

6. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Well I'm volunteer mostly, so technically it's not a private sector situation. Plus my job has nothing to do with having to shoot as a regular part of duty. It's strictly medical. So really there is a slim chance I'd have to use deadly force, but I like knowing the option is there for that one in a gagillion chance I need it!:)

Thanks!

-Emt1581

7. Bullmastiff1

Bullmastiff1

Got a little off the original topic... still interested in hearing if anyone knows of any EMT's that do or have considered carrying a CONCEALED firearm while on duty as an EMT or Paramedic.

8. kevin101

kevin101

It's been a few years since I worked there but whan I worked for a commercial ambulance company I carried my G23 with an extra mag everyday. It was officially against company policy but I knew of 2 road supervisors that carried also. I would rather lose my job than my life. It was concealed in a fannypak that I placed a roll of tape and a pair of scissors in the front pocket.

9. Victory

Victory

I've been running EMS in SEPA for nearly 4 years and i was always under the impression that it was illegal for EMS workers to carry on duty.

The fact that even tactical medics, who do firearms training with the swat teams can't carry on callouts seems to support this

I've personally had my licensure threatened for carrying a 2oz can of OC (which i still carry, just in my pocket instead of on my belt.)

Then again, no one has ever been able to provide me with the actual text of the law.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Nope, no law specifically against it. I can't find a law to support this statment because it is not specifically protected (from private policy) either.

I've spoken to a few tactical medics as well and they've told me they do in fact carry a sidearm. Perhaps no rifle, since part of the test is being able to stay below a certain height (I think 10 inches) while crawling through the scene, but the ones I've talked to were all cops so that may have had something to do with it.

-Emt1581

11. Victory

Victory

Some of the Tac medics i've talked to (who are private ambulance, not police) do carry sidearms, they just tuck them away in their gear vest and keep it hush.

I breifly scanned the PA EMS Act for the words "weapon" and "firearm" and revealed nothing. I guess my DC freaking out about my pepper spray was unwarranted.

12. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I garantee he/she is a democrat ;)

My captain gave me the same spiel about about not having firearms on company property, but as I said, I'm for the most part volunteer, so go ahead and fire me!...Can't touch my certification or my license to carry no matter how much pissin and moaning they do about it.

Up until a few years ago when the fields were turned into a shopping center, they would hunt, plink, etc frequently right accross from the station.

-Emt1581

13. Victory

Victory

Well, this is something i'd like to find out more about. I'm picking up my permit from the sheriffs office tomorrow and while i won't be carrying while working shifts (outside of open carry there's no where to put the gun on my uniform) i'm not planning on taking it off to walk inside the firehouse for social visits or for second emergencies where i'm just running to the station from home and throwing a jumpsuit over my street clothes. (throwing the gun in my gear rack would just be irresponsible)

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Not to hi-jack here, but Victory, what guns do you have to choose from?

Concealability/access has NEVER been an issue for me.

-Emt1581

15. Victory

Victory

We wear tucked in police style uniforms which are pretty form fitting, especially since i wear a vest. I also can't ankle carry since between the taper cut of the pants and the size of my boots it's impossible.

Aside from onduty, i'm planning on carrying a G19 in a comp tac ghurka and G26 as a BUG in a Galco Ankle Glove.

16. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Ok, then I really have no advice for carrying other than a vest holster (not sure if you wear body armor while on duty) or smartcarry.

I pocket carry either a S&W 649 or P3AT in my front pocket and haven't had any issues of any kind.

-Emt1581

17. Victory

Victory

I do wear a vest on duty. Unfortunately the shirt was sized for me without the vest on (no one else here wears a vest), so my G26 in a vest holster would look like a freaking tumor.

I already carry too much crap in my pockets to pocket carry. OC takes up the weak side pocket and keys take up the left (since i never keep anything in the same pocket as the OC)

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Smartcarry?

-Emt1581

19. Victory

Victory

Smart carry would probably be difficult with the vest and gear belt getting in the way of the draw. I'm not so concerned with carrying in uniform.

20. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Ok but why not carry while in uniform?

-Emt1581