EMT's Dr.'s etc CPR?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Adjuster, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Adjuster

Adjuster

The past few years I have been hearing about compression only CPR. The mouth to mouth breathing is no longer considered necessary. What say you? How are you being instructed these days?

2. Truckee

Truckee Aging Goat

I professionally use this training. Rescue breathing is in our training. However, only using adjuncts; mouth to mouth is out.

General public (layperson) CPR is being taught without rescue breathing.

3. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Only for untrained persons who witness the collapse.

If you're not trained in CPR, then provide hands-only CPR. That means uninterrupted chest compressions of about 100 a minute until paramedics arrive. You don't need to try rescue breathing.

This action should be taken only for adults who unexpectedly collapse, stop breathing and are unresponsive. The odds are that the person is having cardiac arrest — the heart suddenly stops — which can occur after a heart attack or be caused by other heart problems. In such a case, the victim still has ample air in the lungs and blood and compressions keep blood flowing to the brain, heart and other organs.

A child who collapses is more likely to primarily have breathing problems — and in that case, mouth-to-mouth breathing should be used.

That also applies to adults who suffer lack of oxygen from a near-drowning, drug overdose, or carbon monoxide poisoning. In these cases, people need mouth-to-mouth to get air into their lungs and bloodstream.

4. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag

CA is still teaching compressions and rescue breathing.

There has been some chatter of the compression only ideology, but I haven't heard of any schools implementing it.

5. Lone_Wolfe

Lone_Wolfe Sandbox Refugee CLM

As the recipient of CPR a little over a year ago I was told afterward that the only time the medic did the breathing part was when my heart was beating. During the times he had to give me compressions he didn't breathe for me as the compressions themselves move enough air into and out of the lungs.

I'd say the method he used works. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  6. CU4X4N

CU4X4N 5th of November

Good post Truckee.

Trained EMT/Firefighter here, when I see "mouth to mouth" I think "where's the BVM and O2 bottle!"

:)

7. RCP

RCP

Same here but I have to tell you I have personally witnessed mouth to ET tube during a code.:puking:

8. Jaron

Jaron

RCP so someone had enough equipment to secure an airway but no BVM? I'm not sure what to say. WOW.

9. G26Okie

G26Okie

As an emt/firefighter in training, I think the same thing :wavey:

10. RCP

RCP

We were transporting an intubated patient to MRI and they coded in the elevator. During CPR the bag became disconnected and took the hub off the end of the tube with it. While I was scrambling around the elevator floor trying to find the hub (white floor and white hub) the Dr. started breathing directly into the ET tube.
    :wow:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  11. Jaron

Jaron

All you had to say was elevator. If anything is going to go sideways with a other wise routine call it will be in an elevator :wow: at least your doc didn't freeze up.

12. JJS

JJS RIP Col.Moroney

My last BLS class was last September and they taught compressions and rescue breathing. (Texas)