close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Employers ask job seekers for Facebook passwords

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by brausso, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brausso

brausso

2. TexanRon

TexanRon Come 'n Take It

3. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

and this is why I don't have a facebook.

4. Txnowtn

Txnowtn

I would ask the interviewer for all her personal passwords.

5. GD2J

GD2J GoDirectly2Jail

Employers are free to ask for your social media passwords.

You are free to refuse.

They are free to employ someone else who WILL provide them access.

6. jp3975

jp3975

Are they free to ask for your email password? Access to love letters from your girlfriend?

Some of you old people may not know what the facebook is...but people do have private conversations on there through the email function.

If employers want to look up your facebook or ask that you add them so they can see your profile that's one thing. To ask to have 100% access to all private messages is insane. Secret service doesnt do that...nor is it a requirement to get a top secret clearance.

It should be illegal for a company to require that for employment if it isnt.

7. Altaris

Altaris

I would tell them to F off. At least that is what I would think of after the fact. In actuality I would probably be in such shock at the question that I wouldn't know what to say, and would sit there speechless.

Like was stated in the article, I wouldn't want to be a part of a company that would ask for something like that. While I have nothing to hide, the principal behind it would be something I couldn't get over.

8. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

I'd tell them that I wouldn't have even wasted my time applying if I'd known the boss was that much of an anti-freedom Marxist commie pinko.

9. Altaris

Altaris

I would also like to check out all of the text messages and pictures on your personal cell phone as well.

Monitoring your work Email/IM's is one thing, but your personal stuff is just that....personal.

10. Crypsis

Crypsis

Read the whole article. This invasion of privacy for employment is a lot worse than just Facebook. Some places are including personal email accounts in their invasion of privacy.

"Chief Deputy Rusty Thomas defended the practice, saying applicants have a right to refuse. But no one has ever done so. Thomas said that "speaks well of the people we have apply." -read, this guy thinks that its good applicants and not coercion giving him compliance. What an idiot.

and the kicker about how it won't stop because no one will do anything about it. The Department of Justice said such violations would not be prosecuted.

11. Altaris

Altaris

And that is where he is dumb. It doesn't speak well of them. It speaks to how desperate they are for jobs in this market, that they will give up their own rights just to have one.

12. glock1991

glock1991

I had to do that for my job. It was either show my Facebook and get a job, or not show it and don't get it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

13. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

That is very unprofessional of them to ask... do they want to analyze the skidmarks in my underwear too? F 'em..

14. Highspeedlane

Highspeedlane NRA Life Member

I'd probably get up and walk out of the interview at that point.

15. powder86

powder86 SHOOT SAFE!

that's jacked up. not a fan.

16. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

That's why I have multiple accounts.

They don't need to know about my nigerian millions.

17. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I just had to undergo an EXTENSIVE background investigation for a state law enforcement agency this past September, and my investigator did not even ask for any login information to anything.

I don't have a facebook, and he very well may have already known that before meeting with me. There is no way in hell I would have submitted to that kind of privacy invasion if he had asked. That is not the kind of employer I would work for anyway.

He dug very deep and found out things that I did back to when I was about 7 years old, so there were certainly no secrets between him and myself by the end of the hiring process. And yes, I did get the job offer to the next academy class.

This is the kind of crap we need to make sure employers do not start feeling they have "rights" to accessing.

18. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

Deactivate your account
    "Oh, I don't have a facebook profile"
    Profit

19. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I just posted this article on my Facebook page along with a message that I would be deactivating and deleting my account in about a week and challenged anyone else reading it to follow me. I'm done with them. I never participated that much and it was nice to communicate with people that I ordinarily wouldn't get a chance to talk to but the price of these "social networking" sites is far too high. Some will say that GT is nothing more than a "social networking" site and they might be right...to an extent. The difference is that I can remain 100% anonymous here if I choose to do so and have a clear understanding of what information is being sent out into the ether to someone I might not want to know something.

Greg

20. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

What happens when you say you don't have one? Will they believe you? You CAN set up FB and other sites with some degree of anonymity, at least such that you wouldn't show up in a search.

Greg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.