"Empire", by Orson Scott Card (novel of a new American civil war)

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by TheGreatGonzo, Feb 18, 2007.

1. TheGreatGonzo

TheGreatGonzo Clown Hunter

I'm curious if any of you have read "Empire", by Orson Scott Card. I recently started it and I'm about 2/3 of the way through. I don't want to give any spoiler information, so here is what is inside the dust cover of the novel:

The American Empire has grown too fast, and the fault lines at home are stressed to the breaking point. The war of words between Right and Left has collapsed into a shooting war, though most people just want to be left alone.

The battle rages between the high-technology weapons on one side and militia foot soldiers on the other, devastating the cities and overrunning the countryside. But the vast majority, who only want the killing to stop and the nation to return to more peaceful days, have technology, weapons, and strategic geniuses of their own.

When the American dream shatters into violence, who can hold the people and the government together? And which side will you be on?

Orson Scott Card is a master storyteller who has earned millions of fans and reams of praise for his previous science fiction and fantasy novels. Now he steps a little closer to the present day with this chilling look at a near-future scenario of a new American Civil War.

You can see why I purchsed it, after reading the dust cover. I have to say, however, that the writing, so far, is a little disappointing. I was curious to know if any of you had read it and what your thoughts were.
    Gonzo

2. reerc

reerc Just a member

I ass-u-me you've read the first Ender, if not more in the sort-of series?

How does the style here compare?

3. TheGreatGonzo

Yes, I read them when I was a teenager and really enjoyed them, particularly "Ender's Game". That was one of the things that drove me to purchase this book when I saw it. The writing style is the same, but it does not seem to translate as well into this type of story. It is a very simplistic style, with very little character development and story background. Although it read well when dealing with the Ender characters, it does not seem to do the same in this book. It almost reads like a short story stretched into a novel.
    Gonzo

4. Donner

Donner

I hope i don't include any spoilers with my post, but i do want to share my thoughts on the book.

I just finished the book and it wasn't a bad read. I think the writing wasn't nearly as refined as his other books. He keeps his same writing style, but Empire seemed rushed. The story was there, but it was more like a three-hour movie that was clearly edited down to a 2.5 hour flick. There is a clear plot, but the connecting pieces that make the story flow and believable either weren't written well, or were edited out. I think the fact that it was written along side the creation of a video game might account for some of it's shortcomings.

All in all, i thought it was a good read, if not as good as Ender's Game. I was surprised as how political it was, especially the afterward. I think he, along with a lot of Americans, are fed up with things going the way they have been and he has a point about how people act.

Anyway, i hope that didn't give too much away, but if anyone wants to discuss it, i'm game.

Donner

5. TheGreatGonzo

I finally finished it, although I sort of had to force my way through the last 1/3rd. It should have been a really good story. It is very disappointing that the writing was so sketchy. It seemed like so much was left out.
    Gonzo