close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

EMP attack--our version of the Haiti earthquake?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Mr981, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Mr981

Mr981

http://www.scrippsnews.com/content/may-emp-attack-our-version-haiti-earthquake

From Today's Plain Dealer.

The column makes the case that an EMP attack might come from Iran--how they'd get a bomb of sufficient size in earth orbit isn't clear--but this attack would essentially put the US in the same situation as Haiti, without the physical damage.

The article also mentions that for $100MM, you could protect more than 50% of the critical computer/electrical systems in the country.

This threat has been known for over a generation; hasn't the federal government taken any steps to protect critical communication and computer networks after all these years?

2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

How many dollars are in a hundred millimeters?

EMP is highly overrated, according to AK_Stick. {IIRC}

Plus, I doubt the Iranians are going to be putting any nukes in orbit soon.

3. farley45

farley45

The federal government may have not made all of our defenses known to people that are not in the need to know.

4. Mr981

Mr981

Two things--
    $100MM is an abbreviation for $100,000,000--honest.

Next, the scenario currently in vogue is a barge or freighter off the coast with a SCUD or small ballistic missile. From what has been published a small nuke detonated at 10-30 miles in altitude cover a very large area. So, I guees they don't need a large warhead in low earth orbit to do a lot of damage.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I always saw it with one M.

As for the Scud scenario, I'll look for the maps that were posted before.

I am 90% sure it was AK_Stick who posted them.

http://www.fas.org/nuke/intro/nuke/emp.htm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't list maximum height reached, but SCUDs have a range of 180-550 Kilometers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scud

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  6. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

I'd be guessing that if they did try something like that, the burst would be centered more towards the east. That would be more damaging to the USA.

7. REDDAWN

REDDAWN

like barry soetoro ?

8. milglock707

milglock707

This doesn't seem logical for several reasons. (1) The US and Russia were doing nuclear testing for years and there were no EMP repercussions. (2) Researchers have been trying for decades to recreate an EMP and have failed miserably (I think it was on TLC where they showed how much energy it took to stop a car and that was with a huge tower and ideal circumstances) (3) If they have the technology to build a nuke, get it in orbit and blow it up precisely, then they would probably just nuke us instead. Any nation doing an EMP attack would probably be nuked as ALL of our nuclear weapons are impervious to EMP.

I would think a dirty bomb (or several) would probably be thousands of times cheaper than the scenario laid out here.

9. Kozel

Kozel

Iran tested high altitude warhead explosion twice in Caspian Sea.

I wonder why?

They also tested nuke warhead explosion once. One of twelve they bough from Ukraine right after USSR fell apart. There was an AP article about the nuke test but it was pilled down within hours. Captured image of that article was on some site but now I cannot find it. Fact is Iran bough twelve nuclear tipped cruise missiles from Ukraine and Ukrainians could not produce any documentation that warhead were removed prior to sale. Oh by the way. The arms dealer “middleman” who brokered a deal turned out dead shortly after the deal went through in an “accident” off course.

10. farley45

farley45

Haven't you seen Independence Day? He doesn't know until the aliens attack:rofl:

11. Kozel

Kozel

Are you kidding me? First time they tried high altitude nuke test they fried all communications and power grid hundreds of miles away!

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/test184.html

12. Zooco

Zooco

Our newer technology is much more sensitive to EMP than the technology of 20, 30, or 50 years ago. If anyone wants a good read of a fictional story based upon some good research on the effects of EMP, try "One Second After". I'm not saying that it is 100%, but very thought provoking about how thin the fabric of society is. The basic plot is that 3 small nucs are exploded at sufficient height and basically cover the US. It really made my wife and I think and talk about survival scenarios.

13. Rohniss

Rohniss

Lets not forget our own little Experience... Starfish Prime.

EDIT:

Not that anyone who knows anything about HEMP could forget Starfish.

EDITx2:

In any case, an EMP attack, if successfully carried out, would be a very logical prelude to a total war between two nuclear armed states.

I doubt that it would take out our Minuteman sites, so we would still get a response off, it would royally screw up comms that weren't hardened, and for Civies, the power would go off and stay off...

Studies conducted in the 60s-70s seem to imply EMP won't permanently "kill" a car, but cars are far more electronically dependent today, so *I* wouldn't trust a car that was subjected to an EMP except in dire emergency... assuming it ran in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  14. wjv

wjv Zip It Stan Lee.. . .

There is a big difference between above ground nuke testing, and exploding a nuke at a high altitude (100+ Km up)

15. ilgunguygt

ilgunguygt Enslaved in IL

16. mixflip

mixflip

I am more afraid of Iran getting a hold of biological weapons sold on the black market by corrupt Soviet military officials that had control of these chemical agents and biologicals at the end of the cold war and the collapse of the Soviet Union. The Soviets manufactured hundreds of thousands of gallons of smallpox and other biologicals that are still just sitting in barrels in some under protected bunker in Siberia.

17. thanospro

thanospro

18. Altaris

Altaris

19. michael88

michael88

these different end of the world scenarios seem to pop up here almost daily. i have gotten to the point that there really is no way to even imagine all the different ways at a given moment we could die or our way of life could end. i also dont know if its healthy to try and do so. everyone seems to have a "plan", but what i dont understand is how you plan for something in which you do not know the outcome, or the cause for that matter. if any country loses their mind and thinks we will not unleash hell after being hit with any major attack of anything they have lost their mind. that imho will be the end of the world, and most people know that. so until we get someone who is stupid as well as powerful i dont think we have any major attack to worry about.