close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

".eml" vs. ".email" attachments

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by The Pontificator, Oct 28, 2006.

1. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

I get forwarded emails as attachments from a friend that come in this configuration:

".email"

When I try to open them I get an error message saying that there is no application associated with the file (computer can't read it).

In order to read it I have to save then change the end of the filename from ".email" to ".eml"

This gets tedious...and they only come from here. I've tried to track down the source of this issue but cannot.

What's the story on this? Can someone be of assistance?

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Hey Ponti;

Watch your six opening unknown attachments partner!

Which mail tool (read software) do you use?

The un-openable email attachments may be the result of a non-compatible email system like LOTUS Notes or the Novel Groupwise systems sending you an email. Your email tool will choose to make the email an attachment vs opening it internally, and possibly crashing your mail tool. You could try to download new mail extention support from the mail tool's website to read foriegn formats natively (internally).

But that being said there are nastygrams being sent out to rip your computer apart, possiblty spoofing your friends email address or using his computer to try and slip by your security software. You do use a firewall, spyware/malware and antivirus? I moved to ZoneAlarm Internet Security suite to do all the protection in one package, it runs better and uses less resources in the process!

The odd format can be an intentional ploy to get you to try and open them thereby unleashing a viri or other maloperative invaders onto your computer!

:shocked:

:thumbsup: :supergrin:

Here are two site that discuss malware and such threats:

http://www.us-cert.gov/cas/tips/ST04-010.html

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108009