Votes: 40 43.0%
  • RUSH

Votes: 53 57.0%
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both groups have just three musicians, and both groups are progressive rock. So which group do you like and why?

Yes there is going to be a poll but just two choices ELP or RUSH. If you don't like either group than just say so. The purpose of this poll is for fun and an education(hopefully) on both groups. The poll is also a competition to see which group is more favored by GT.

Reactions: Glolt20-91

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I really like both groups and a very hard decision but I have to pick ELP because of Keith Emerson, he was a genius on all things keyboard and synthesizer. Kinda like a Jimi Hendrix on keyboards/synth. Guess they are jamming together now upstairs.

·
M62/76
12,143 Posts
Not particularly a fan of either but of the two, I’ll take Rush.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rush is more listenable.
Like I said I do like both but the edge goes to ELP because he was a genius at all things keyboard. I also find ELP more listenable, but then again music is in the ear of the beholder.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rush is the winner. Neal Peary is arguably the greatest rock drummer of all time. Certainly top 3. Carl Palmer is very good, but not “Neal Peart” good. Geddy Lee is certainly one of the best rock bass players of all time. At least top 20. And he can also play the keyboards. Alex Lifeson is a tier one guitarist, certainly better than Greg Lake. Yes, Keith Emerson was amazing on the keyboards, perhaps the best rock keyboardist of all time. But the overall talent of Rush wins out, in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who has been a fan of ELP since I purchased their “Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen” double album back in 1974 (If I recall correctly).

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rush is more listenable.
Well I most certainly understand that coming from you, after all Neil was a "Drum God", no other drummer was better than he was. Now he drums for Jimi, Janis, Jim Morrison, and Keith Emerson, don't know who the bass player is.

Reactions: Glolt20-91

·
Registered
205 Posts
Rush is the winner. Neal Peary is arguably the greatest rock drummer of all time. Certainly top 3. Carl Palmer is very good, but not “Neal Peart” good. Geddy Lee is certainly one of the best rock bass players of all time. At least top 20. And he can also play the keyboards. Alex Lifeson is a tier one guitarist, certainly better than Greg Lake. Yes, Keith Emerson was amazing on the keyboards, perhaps the best rock keyboardist of all time. But the overall talent of Rush wins out, in my opinion. And this is coming from someone who has been a fan of ELP since I purchased their “Welcome Back My Friends to the Show That Never Ends, Ladies and Gentlemen” double album back in 1974 (If I recall correctly).
That’s Neil Peart. Dang spell check.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I believe this is going to be a really close poll right down to the wire 7 days from now. I haven't a clue who will win.

·
Registered
9,046 Posts
I don't love either band, but long ago I learned ELP's From The Beginning on guitar which I play to this day.

Before that I learned Broone's Bane which is both more difficult and more interesting.

I would give the nod to Rush just for technical musicianship and their catalog. I will say that Geddy Lee's vioice makes me want to cut myself repeatedly.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
ELP for me.I saw Rush in 1980 and it was by far the worst concert I'd ever been to. An equally dismal band called Saxon was the opening act. What a waste of $20.00

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I go with Rush, including vocals, great drums. :)

Reactions: cyberghostx13

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Both groups have just three musicians, and both groups are progressive rock. So which group do you like and why?

Yes there is going to be a poll but just two choices ELP or RUSH. If you don't like either group than just say so. The purpose of this poll is for fun and an education(hopefully) on both groups. The poll is also a competition to see which group is more favored by GT.
Both good, but different.

I think ELP is better, because they are more musical. That quailty enhances their sound.

Rush is hard driving and good to listen to, but a bit more narrow and monotonous.

Depends on personal preference and mood. But ELP is a bit more complex and interesting to my ear.

This does not mean Rush is bad, because they are also a bit more complex and interesting to my ear than many other bands.

If 2 bands are both good, the one that seems to have more musical skill and more musical creativity, likely wins the tie for me, my opinion.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Well I most certainly understand that coming from you, after all Neil was a "Drum God", no other drummer was better than he was. Now he drums for Jimi, Janis, Jim Morrison, and Keith Emerson, don't know who the bass player is.
Truth be told, while Peart was certainly an influence, IMO he was a somewhat "wooden" drummer. In picking favorite drummers I would choose Bonham before Peart. (As you said, different strokes.) I find Rush's music to be more pop-rock than prog-rock. I like ELP just fine but their music comes across as more "masturbatory" to me. I've played/written my fair share of "one bar 2/4 then a bar of 3/4 then three bars of 4/4 that feel like two bars of 6/8" type of songs. I've always found them to be what musicians write for themselves for fun, because they can. ELP feels more like that to me. Music that's more about musical capability than musicality. Not that it's not musical, I just find it less so than some... For killer keyboards in epic prog-rock anthems I turn towards stuff like Yes.

Aside: Geddy's voice doesn't bother me. Not all instruments occupy the same range. Just think of him as a piccolo person. His voice sits in the right place in their arrangements.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts