Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The shut down was designed to protect the heath care industry, but too much of it will kill it.

"Emergency room doctors facing pay cuts and understaffing during pandemic

The financial fallout of the pandemic is affecting some of the most vital health workers in the country. CBS News spoke with ER doctors in at least half a dozen states who said they're taking pay cuts of up to 40%.

The American College of Emergency Physicians said cutting benefits and shifts could force some emergency rooms to shut down.

Dr. Leslie Simon, the chair of the emergency medicine department at the Mayo Clinic, sees patients with COVID-19 symptoms daily. "You go through the stages of grief when you get a pay cut," Simon said. "And we all did, but I think they understand why it happened. And there's very much the sentiment among our department that we're all in this together. And we understand that it was necessary."

Simon and her team just took a 10% salary reduction — a consequence of the hospital's anticipated $3 billion revenue loss.

"We still have student loans. We have kids to send to college. We have mortgages," she said.

The Mayo Clinic is among thousands of hospitals across the country losing money fast. According to JP Morgan Chase, most hospitals make half or more of their revenue from elective procedures, which have been put on hold. Add to those losses at least a 30% decline in emergency room visits since the pandemic started due to patients staying at home out of fear of contracting the coronavirus.

"I think it's possible [some emergency rooms are so inadequately staffed lives may now be at risk,]" Simon told CBS News. "I also think a lot of them are at risk for closing."

One ER doctor who would not speak on camera told CBS News her hours were cut by about 50% and that she now is the only ER doctor during her shifts — down from four — making her responsible for up to 40 beds.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/emerge...and-understaffing-during-pandemic-2020-04-20/ "

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The shut down was designed to protect the heath care industry
This shut down was designed to destroy the economy and blame President Trump for it.
My opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.

·
Registered
8,121 Posts
This shut down was designed to destroy the economy and blame President Trump for it.
My opinion, everyone is entitled to their own.
Since Trump endorsed it I kind of doubt that. Not to say his enemies haven’t taken every opportunity to slam him at every turn with this thing, but he fully endorsed a shutdown.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I know very, very few people, outside of seniors, who are staying home of their own volition.
I have a close friend and a family member on my wife's side who are so "scared fecesless" that both told me that if they were forced to go back to work they would probably quit their jobs.

I did tell them - that's o.k., it is YOUR decision, no one is making you go to work as apposed to those of us that have been forced to close our businesses.

·
Tin Kicker
10,395 Posts
The headline is a straight up lie!
Hospitals ERs are NOT understaffed. They are OVERstaffed because nobody is going to the ER.
Yes, there are pay cuts. But this ******* myth that hospitals are being overrun being touted by the media has to stop!!!
Damn liars, every one.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hospitals ERs are NOT understaffed. They are OVERstaffed because nobody is going to the ER.
Yes, there are pay cuts. But this ******* myth that hospitals are being overrun being touted by the media has to stop!!!
Damn liars, every one.
I know, those darned media people and taking pictures of the flea markets in central park saying they're field hospitals, photoshopping the naval hospital ships sent to NYC and CA, they even faked a field hospital set-up in my alma mater's gymnasium in East Stroudsburg PA. No emergency here, hospital attendance is at an all time low!

I mean look at the work their makeup people are doing on these actors.
1239111348828672000-png__700.jpg
doctors-nurses-photos-fighting-coronavirus-16-5e7888afbd44b__700.jpg

·
Registered
13,262 Posts
The Dems are waiting in the wings to save healthcare with their new plans and programs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While receiving their full salaries. :mad:

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Damn liars, every one.
I have seen ER's in my area go on 24 hour divert recently. First time I have ever seen that.

Some areas are hit hard, others are not.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hospitals in Western and Central NY are pretty empty ,largely due to no elective surgery. Daughters a RN in a fairly large one ( 2,500 RNs work there ) , she works from home ,3 out of 4 weeks . One week at home is on call, two are spent doing yearly course work and working on obtaining certificates . The week she goes in there’s not much to do . Add on to that ambulance calls being down 50%

A hospital in Syracuse furloughed 1,600 or so workers .
https://www.syracuse.com/coronaviru...h-1665-workers-amid-coronavirus-pandemic.html

·
Super Moderator
18,753 Posts
Sounds to me like in "normal" times we had too many people going to the ER for stuff that just didn't matter. (And too many docs admitting people that didn't need it, but that's a slight tangent.)

Now that people are avoiding the ER unless they have no choice, we're seeing just how over-invested we are.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Email from local 693 bed hospital. I guess they are looking for business, especially strokes and heart attacks.

-----------------------------

Don't delay getting the care you need.

If you are experiencing a serious illness or severe symptoms of any kind, please do not put off seeking emergency medical care due to fears of coronavirus. Delaying emergency medical help could worsen symptoms or result in a life-threatening situation.

Our emergency rooms remain open and safe for an emergency of any kind, including both COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 related illnesses

·
Registered
81,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Beaumont Health laying off 2,475, eliminating about 450 positions due to ‘dire financial effects’ of COVID-19

Health system says net income was -$278.4 million in Q1

DETROIT – Beaumont Health announced Tuesday morning that due to the “financial consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic” it is temporarily laying off 2,475 employees, permanently eliminating 450 positions and cutting executive pay.

Beaumont Health CEO John Fox will take a 70% temporary pay cut to his base salary. The other members of Beaumont’s executive leadership will take temporary pay cuts up to 45% of their total compensation, according to Beaumont.

Beaumont said of the 2,475 temporary layoffs, most involve hospital administrative staff and others who are not directly caring for patients with or without COVID-19. Most of the 450 position eliminations are part of the corporate staff or are serving in other administrative roles.

“I am extremely proud of our team’s rapid response to COVID-19. While many front-line employees have never been busier, other parts of our operations have drastically declined or ceased. We must make difficult, quick decisions now to protect and readjust to an uncertain future,” reads a statement from Fox. “We also expect economic pressures on Beaumont and the health care industry to continue well after the COVID-19 initial surge subsides, which is why we made the difficult decision to eliminate 450 positions. We must adjust the way we operate our organization moving forward. This pandemic has changed the delivery of health care, and we will be treating patients with this virus until we get a vaccine.”

https://www.clickondetroit.com/heal...ns-due-to-dire-financial-effects-of-covid-19/ "

·
Super Moderator
18,753 Posts
So if in the middle of a global pandemic we can't find enough work to employ health care folk, do we really have a health care crisis in this country?

·
Registered
32,360 Posts
This jibes with I’m seeing in my area.
Gonzoso, of course there are hospitals that are packed to the rafters, in certain areas. Other areas are a ghost town and are cutting hours and pay. I hope people are not believing that this bug is slamming ALL hospitals, just as I hope they don’t believe ALL hospitals are ghost towns either.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Email from local hospital. I guess they are looking for business, especially strokes and heart attacks.

-----------------------------

Don't delay getting the care you need.

If you are experiencing a serious illness or severe symptoms of any kind, please do not put off seeking emergency medical care due to fears of coronavirus. Delaying emergency medical help could worsen symptoms or result in a life-threatening situation.

Our emergency rooms remain open and safe for an emergency of any kind, including both COVID-19 and non-COVID-19 related illnesses
People are staying home and dying . It is interesting , we had so many frequent flyers who would be transported weekly for BS, now folks are stroking out at home rather then go in .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts