Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to have a cell phone I could throw in the glove box of each vehicle just in case of an emergency. That way if I'm ever stranded or in an accident and my cell phone becomes disabled or dead, I can still call for help.

Are there any phones out there specifically for this purpose...that do not need constant charging, up to date minute cards, etc.?

I'm not blowing $1000+ on a satellite phone but other than that I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Any device that runs on battery will need to occasionally be recharged. Batteries slowly discharge on their own, even if they aren't in a device. You would have to keep a solar charger, car charger, or something similar on hand to avoid having to worry about keeping it charged.

I don't have answers to your other questions though.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any device that runs on battery will need to occasionally be recharged. Batteries slowly discharge on their own, even if they aren't in a device. You would have to keep a solar charger, car charger, or something similar on hand to avoid having to worry about keeping it charged.

I don't have answers to your other questions though.
I suppose I could keep them permanently hooked into the car's outlet/jack. But then I'd worry about a memory issue.

-Emt1581

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Your minutes would probably expire at some point. Why not just buy one prepaid phone, keep it on a charger by the garage door, and take it with you. It's just a bit more complicated than the spare tire in the trunk of the car...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I thought all cell phones could dial 911 regardless of whether you had a plan or not

·
Registered
257 Posts
It is my understanding also that any old cell phone should be able to dial 911 even without a service provider.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I thought all cell phones could dial 911 regardless of whether you had a plan or not
This -- as long as you can keep the battery charged, any cell phone has to be able to dial 911. I keep my old cell phone in my glovebox -- if you don't have an old one, someone you know probably has one lying around that they'll give you.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is that mandated by the FCC?:dunno:
This is a good question!

I always thought it was just an unspoken agreement all cell providers made.

But this works. If I'm going on vacation or an otherwise planned trip I can throw some minute cards in the glove box. If not, at least I can dial 911.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
JAFO
14,054 Posts
They make wind up cell phone chargers that would work in an emergency.

·
l'Italia s'è desta
7,536 Posts
There are also cell phones available that run on alkaline AAs or AAAs. Google is your friend...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
On the other hand, calling AAA or mom/dad/BF/GF/pizza is priceless...

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
i know you can get "go phones" from AT&T for as little as $15. i keep a sparre in both vehicles as you describe but my initial goal for them wasnt as an emergency. i have AT&T service so i can swap my sim card into any other AT&T cell phone. i work in construction and have broken a phone on the job before. i started carrying the cheap go phones as temporary spares.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the other hand, calling AAA or mom/dad/BF/GF/pizza is priceless...
Yeah but me personally, if I'm calling for help, I want Police but more importantly Fire/EMS. Otherwise it isn't really an emergency IMO.

-Emt1581

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
On a related note: Just yesterday I found my wife's old cell phone in a drawer and I turned it on to see if it still had any data on it. Not only did it turn on, it showed 2/3's battery life! She upgraded about this time last year so I know for certain that phone has been sitting idle for at least a full year.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
Get a paygo phone from any of the providers. You may have to spend $ to buy a cheap phone, but not too much. Refill the the phone every 60-days with with $15.00 of minutes, come's out real cheap on a monthly basis. If you don't use it, the minutes add up as long as you refill within the 60-day limit. Good when you have a family emergency etc. where you may need an extra phone that has a bunch of minutes stacked up.

Walmart has a $25.00 plan through Verizon plus phone.

·
Registered
18,026 Posts
Pondering something.....do the minute refill cards you buy at Wal-Mart start expiring when you buy the card or just when you load them on the phone?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've always wanted to have a cell phone I could throw in the glove box of each vehicle just in case of an emergency. That way if I'm ever stranded or in an accident and my cell phone becomes disabled or dead, I can still call for help.

Are there any phones out there specifically for this purpose...that do not need constant charging, up to date minute cards, etc.?

I'm not blowing $1000+ on a satellite phone but other than that I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

:rofl: Paranoid much?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts