close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

elk

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by LOMAS, Oct 25, 2002.

1. LOMAS

LOMAS

I shot a cow elk yesterday with my 30-06 using 165gr. Remington Core-Lokts. 70 yds. broadside heart/lung shot. She didn't go more than 10 feet and was dead when I reached her. Upon skinning I found a 3 inch wound on the inside of the ribcage and wound track that extended only to the middle of the chest. No bullet was recovered. Complete fragmentation? This load was obviuosly quite effective in this scenario, however, I think I will go with a more heavily constructed bullet in the future for elk. I used this same load on a 200lb. buck last year with complete penetration. Plenty for deer, but a bit light for elk I think. What kind of performance is everyone else getting with their hunting loads?

2. commander

commander

I kinda doubt the complete fragmentation. Somtimes you just don't find the bullet but I'd bet it was in there someplace. Or maybe on the ground after opening her up.;)

I like my 7mm mag for elk. Works for deer too.

An '06 is OK but I'd step up to 180 gr. Federal Premium Noslers on the elk.

3. g21glock

g21glock Millennium Member

Im with Commander on this one. GO to 180gr. I like the Barnes-X bullet in 180gr. I dont know how its available in '06 I havent had to buy that ammo in years,but the loading available from Weatherby for my .300 with the X-bullet is the best Ive ever seen.

Safe shooting

4. tjpet

tjpet

I don't think you'll find much of a difference, constuction wise, between a 165 and 180 Core-Lokt. The design is pretty tough for an off-the-shelf bullet. You probably just didn't find the slug but the 165 is plenty for elk out of an '06. Try a differnt brand if you want a heavier jacket. A Nosler partition would be a step in the right direction and can be found just about anywhere. A nice compromise between expansion and penetration. For greater penetration then that try the Barnes X bullet.

5. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

I like the 7mm mag too, but a 180 grain Winchester Fail Safe in .30-06 is an awesome round. Hits like a freight train.

6. m65swede

m65swede

I'm a big fan of the premium bullets listed by the posters above. My wife swears I own shares in Nosler. :)

But having said that, the plain old Remington Core-Lokt will reliably kill 'em graveyard dead if you place your shot well. I've used the 165 grainer on deer with excellent results.

I would definitely use the 180 grain version for elk; should get a little deeper penetration while sacfificing only 100 fps velocity. In spite of my preference for the premium bullet offerings, I still believe the plain old Core-Lokt ammo is very effective. An added plus is the low cost; our local Farm & Fleet stores feature sales on this ammo at $9.97-$11 per box of 20. :)

Swede