close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Elk vs Helicopter.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by airmotive, Feb 13, 2018.

1. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

In the words of Mark Twain, “A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.”

It turns out, capturing elk with a helicopter falls into the same category. Everyone learned something. I’m not sure what the elk learned, but you can bet the helicopter owner is going to learn exactly what is covered by his insurance.

http://kutv.com/news/local/helicopter-crashes-in-wasatch-county

LEO/Dad likes this.
  2. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Did you read the story?

Not sure what you think was occurring, but aerial platforms are often used to assist in wildlife capture and immobilization. I've seen several instances of tranquilizer guns being deployed from low level helicopters. Not uncommon at all.

I'd also venture a guess that, since this was a contracted helicopter, being used by a state wildlife agency for official business, the state will be picking up up part - or all - of the tab.

nmk likes this.

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

"Kieffer says they will review the incident and make any changes necessary in order to prevent it from happening again."

One easy way; don't go after the ones on the Elk Olympic High Jumping Team.

4. tadbart

tadbart duuuuude.

Considering that most helicopter crashes look like a smashed, burnt spider, I'd consider this one a successful crash. Good on the pilot for setting it down relatively intact. And rest in peace, Mama Cow.

TBO, Fred Hansen, Mark2Glock and 4 others like this.
  5. vart

vart

We had a similar incident involving a helicopter and netting mule deer a couple of weeks ago...

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/28/1-dead-2-injured-in-helicopter-crash-in-whitman-co/

A helicopter crashed Saturday in northern Garfield County, killing one passenger and injuring the pilot and another occupant, authorities said Sunday.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Trooper Chris Thorson said the helicopter crashed at about 2 p.m. between Meadow Creek Road and Lower Deadman Road, about 25 miles north of Pomeroy.

One person was found dead at the scene, Garfield County Sheriff’s deputies said.

The helicopter was contracted by Washington state’s Fish and Wildlife department to help with mule deer surveying. The crew had been contracted to shoot nets onto mule deer.

Family identified the deceased as Benjamin Poirier, 19, of Berthoud, Colorado. Pilot Blake Malo was airlifted to St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Lewiston, where he remained in critical condition, the hospital said Sunday. Passenger Garrett Bradshaw was in fair condition.

Deputies said the helicopter was owned by Hells Canyon Helicopter, a Palouse-area company that captures and surveys wildlife.

After deer are trapped, the helicopter usually lands so crew members can take samples and put tracking collars on the deer.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Hughes 369D aircraft crashed due to “unknown circumstances.”

The National Transportation Safety Board, WSP and FAA are leading the investigation.

airmotive likes this.
  6. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

The Elk may have died, but 'who won' will become clear when they get the helicopter repair bill ... :wow:

Bruce M and willie_pete like this.
  7. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Suicide by FWD

Bruce M likes this.
  8. greg vanstralen

greg vanstralen

When I took my animal capture class in grad school, our instructor told us he had stabbed himself with a dart (they were tranking rhinos). Knew he would be dead before they could land. Then he remembered the antidote was in his pocket. Gave himself two shots (double dose) before he passed out. But he lived! (obviously!). He told us most aerial crashes with biologists were when they hit a wire (had an acquaintance killed that way along the Columbia River) or the bio missed and turned to the pilot w/o putting the gun on safe. OOPS!

While at the course, we had tranked an elk and I was waiting my turn to learn how to draw blood. Felt something against my back and shoulder==it was a cow elk looking over my shoulder to see what we were doing!

Atomic Punk, janice6, Bruce M and 2 others like this.
  9. huskerbuttons

huskerbuttons

I much prefer Elke Sommer
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    @Steel Head @BruceM @deputytom

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  10. M&P15T

M&P15T Big Yellow Lives!!!

To me, that's all a waster of tax-payer dollars.

If conservation societies want do such stuff, by all means, go right ahead. But local, State and Federal $$ should not be spent on such activities.

What's the tax-payer's bill going to be to fix that chopper. What was the original bill just for the aircraft's services going to be?

happie2shoot likes this.
  11. wprebeck

Yeah, cause **** the ecosystem and wildlife management. Who needs that ****, right?

There's obviously no reason that the government should be involved in resource management at all.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Big Yellow Lives!!!

The ecosystem and wildlife will do what it does regardless of how much money we spend monitoring.

I'm not against conservationism, wildlife management. I just don't think that people that reap no benefit from the expenditures should pay for it. No government involvement, no tax-payer dollars. Let private donations pay for it.

I'm good just letting nature be, no more expansion into natural areas.

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Isn't some of resource management funded by revenue from hunting and sporting licenses and ammunition tax (Pittman Robinson)?

I am not sure now but I believe when I was a kid state parks, state fish and game management and state environmental law enforcement were heavily funded by the various fees and taxes raised from those participating in same. I remember thinking someone should have been collecting a dollar from each guy playing night basketball to sort of even it out.

Batesmotel and Caver 60 like this.
  14. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

DAMN RIGHT!

Mankind has never been responsible for causing the extinction or repopulating of any species, ever.

Mother nature manages that ****!

:freak:

15. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Those pesky tail rotors always hitting things.

Paul53, janice6 and Bruce M like this.
  16. wprebeck

My state wildlife agency receives no general fund dollars, but I can't speak for anywhere else.

Bruce M likes this.
  17. wprebeck

You must not get out of the city. I personally benefit greatly from our natural resources, as do many others. Yo have the same choice to utliize those resources as any other person, so if you choose not to, that's your fault .

Secondly, there's the whole issue of proper wildlife management. While private organizations, such as NWTF, RMEF, and DU do contribute a great deal - tbey don't have the same resources - or authority - as government agencies.

There's also the whole "We should be good stewards of the environment" idea that promotes healthy management of our ecosystem. You know, since we have such a huge impact on it, we should take steps to manage it properly.

I can argue this all day - it's literally what I will be doing for a living in two years.

longhair and greg vanstralen like this.
  18. Bruce M

Bruce M

This seems to suggest that about 9% of the Florida Wildlife Commission budget is from general funds.

http://myfwc.com/about/overview/programs/budget/

19. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

In the early 1970's I flew helicopters in the Rocky Mountains.
    I really liked mountain flying bit it's very dangerous flying. My friend (a good pilot) was killed in the first year.

One season we counted Elk (and Deer) by the thousands. Beautiful animals.
    A lot of fun

G3B1 St Joe Forest.jpg

G3B1 Surveyors.jpg

G3b1_1.jpg

G3B1_2.jpg