Glock Talk banner
101 - 120 of 128 Posts
Originally posted by justinhcannon
relaxin' jackson.

Sand Hill may have been easy...and Airborne School even easier. But I made up for it in RIP. owie!
I spent 2 years at Fort Benning(working at IOBC), so I got a good chance to check it out. I was "lucky" enough to do my Infantry Basic Training back before they were doing it at Benning.
Good old Fort Polk. :fred: Yep, those were the days. Back then us 11C's even had our own forward observers in our mortar platoons, and it wasn't a separate MOS until they yanked the job right out from under me.:soap: Then I stayed around until they yanked the whole weapon system(4.2" mortar) right out from under me too.
I guess it's good I got out about then, anyway. I would have started feeling kind of old and obsolete then, too. They used the FourDeuce mortar from WWI to Desert Storm, but phased it out around 1992.:wavey:

Originally posted by WH5V
HHC 1/27 Wolfhounds, 25th ID Hawaii, Oct 95 - Apr 2000

11BC2
Alpha and HHC 1/27 Oct 91 - June 94 here. Did they still have Kolchack while you where there? East range, the Kahukoos, Makuwa vally, PTA, Man I miss those places. The centipeedes too. NOT.

Then 63H 235th FSB Ft Hood Tx, Nov 94 - March 97 attached to 2/7 Cav

Originally posted by fourdeuce2
[ They used the FourDeuce mortar from WWI to Desert Storm, but phased it out around 1992.:wavey: [/B]
Unless I am mistaken, I saw fourdice? mounted in the back of 113's while I was at Ft Hood from 94 to 97. Was never told it was anything else so I could be wrong.

I got out in 1992, and heard that they got rid of it around then. They may have held on to some for a while longer. You know how long it takes the Army to get anything done.;)
The funny thing about that was they were telling us they were going to put the new 120mm mortar in the back of the same carriers, but the new tubes were even bigger than the old ones, and the old ones barely fit in the tracks. If they put the 120's in there they wouldn't be able to shut the hatches. :animlol:

11B10-20
Jan 8, 75.
June 75-Aug 76, A Co. 2/9th Inf, APO 96224
Sept 76-77, A Co, 1/502nd Inf, Ft. Campbell.

I just found this book in a bookstore and it looks like a very good book. It was written by a guy who went ashore on D-Day, then went on through to the end of the war in Europe. He was a Lieutenant in the Infantry, a mortar platoon leader. He graduated from the Citadel about a year and a half after Pearl Harbor was attacked, then went to Fort Benning to OCS. The book is titled You Can't Get Much Closer Than This, and it was written by A.Z. Adkins, Jr. and Andres Z. Adkins, III. The father was the WWII veteran who went ashore in Normandy on D-Day. He chose the title of the book to describe the way he felt about being in the Infantry.:thumbsup:

One correction: He didn't go ashore on D-Day. He went ashore a bit later, but he did manage to survive through the end of the war in Europe, one of only a couple of men in his unit that managed to do that.:patriot:

88m40 and 11B3C2

3/28th 8th ID. 82-83
1/39th 4th ID. 83-84
3/502nd 101st ID 84-86
1/410th INF. Reserves 86-91
445th Trans. 91-present.
Deployed to Egypt in 85 for MFO.
OIF II Driving HET's for 1st ID. out of FOB Speicher

Well, I give all you guys my sincere thanks and appreciation.
I come from a family (both sides) of military service from WWII to now my son headed to Iraq.

He is with 2/502 ID Ft. Campbell going to Kuwait next month and then on to Iraq.

Those that do, keep him and all of our Military folks in your prayers.

:cowboy:

Actually Airborne Infantry 11B2P Infantry Sqad as part of The 1st Squadon 17th Airborne Cavalry 82nd Airborne Division.

Spent a little time with the 2/505 when we were attached to them for awhile.

Took Infantry School at Fort Polk La. North Fort Tigerland Almost like being in Vietnam

11B, then 11M

85 to 98
Harmony Church w/E-10-2

C 4/8 Inf, 8th ID Mannheim 85 to 88
C 2/60 Inf, 9th ID Ft. Lewis 88 to 90
B 2/502 Inf, 101st ABN, Ft. Campbell, Gulf War, Sinai, and Somalia 90 to 93.
D 1/12 Inf, 4th ID, Ft. Carson and Kuwait 93 ETS

D 1/161 Inf, 81st Bde, WA NG Moses Lake 95 to 97

Hey Richard1, you was with 3/502 when they lost about 1/2 the Bn in that Gander crash, right?

Yea, all of A Co. and alot of HQ. The COL. was even on the bird. I got out a little bit after that. I heard they changed the motto right after that from Strike and Kill to something else.When were you in the Sinai.

13F (i.e., 11B with a radio)
3/325 ABCT The Blue Chick-, er, Falcon 89-91 Vicenza, Italy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Cherry walks up to the HQ desk to sign out on leave. He pulls his
meal card out of his pocket to hand it over, a small baggie of green
leaf falls onto the floor.

Says the cherry: "I wasn't going to smoke it, I was just going to
sell it."

True story.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

101 - 120 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.